Interview suit - do I find new shoes or turn up the hems?

(11 Posts)
lborgia Fri 17-Jun-16 06:02:03

Very excited that I've been asked for a job interview on Monday morning, but have a conundrum. My suit (beautiful, still fits) usually goes with high heels. The trousers are quite long and need a2 inch heel or more.

I haven't worn heels for months, kill my back. Shoes bought with suit were ruined, do i turn up the hems or buy new shoes.

Hem turning, long, laborious, won't looked as tall and slim as when full length.

Heels, another cost at this difficult time, may send me into a week of prescription painkillers. ..

Mmm?

Ps vv excited, haven't worked for 4 years, and finally well enough.

margaritasbythesea Fri 17-Jun-16 06:16:32

I would turn them up. It really does not sound like you feel heels are an option and you will need to be comfortable to feel confident.

margaritasbythesea Fri 17-Jun-16 06:17:27

Good luck btw. I had six years out and loved going back.

homebythesea Fri 17-Jun-16 07:26:48

Hem turning will honestly not take more than an hour. Are you just turning up the ready made hem IYSWIM? If so get some wunderweb and iron them up if you are not a sewer

OhTheRoses Fri 17-Jun-16 07:33:25

Go to a good quality dry cleaners and get them to do it. Cheaper than shoes.

Good luck!

bilbul Fri 17-Jun-16 07:45:08

I would buy some smart, leather, closed toe, wedges. Ones with a non-clumpy wedge! There are some really professional looking ones out there.

TobleroneBoo Fri 17-Jun-16 07:47:39

Is there a possibility of you wearing heels in the future with them? If so could you pin them up? If not, definitely turn them up, don't want to risk pain / blisters from new shoes

Good luck!

Diamogs Fri 17-Jun-16 07:48:06

Depending on the style of the trouser it could be a piece of cake or very difficult.

If they are straight, not a problem, just wunderweb, but if they are tapered then you will need to cut out some of the excess fabric to avoid clumps of material.

specialsubject Fri 17-Jun-16 08:21:31

Turn them up, obviously. Staggering into the interview is not the way to get the job.

Why wear shoes that hurt?

lborgia Fri 17-Jun-16 10:55:31

Thanks all, I hadn't thought of wonder Web, but that would be great - it's a lovely wool crepe so would need the tiniest stitches not to show. .. and I love the wedge idea.

Heels make me feel confident and together, and I would've thought the benefits to a pair of pants that make you appear taller and slimmer are am obvious benefit grin

I'll have a look for some wedges tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'll turn up the hems. I can wear heels for a bit, so once I'm in a job (that will be 80% sitting at a desk) i might be able to wear them.

Thank you for helping me to clarify my thoughts...and margarita , I'm beyond excited, I've always loved going to work!

OlennasWimple Fri 17-Jun-16 11:10:28

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now