Talk

Advanced search

Home gel nails

(21 Posts)
Bails2014 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:03:05

Are the home gel kits you can buy any good? I've had my nails Shellac'd in the past for holidays etc and they're great, I was wondering if I can recreate this at home???

justaweeone Thu 16-Jun-16 06:56:21

I do my own
Bought all the stuff individually from eBay
Takes a little bit if practice but once you get the hand of it it's easy

Bails2014 Thu 16-Jun-16 09:10:16

Did you buy Shellac or generic brand stuff?

CMOTDibbler Thu 16-Jun-16 09:24:13

I do my own - I buy Bluesky stuff from ebay

justaweeone Thu 16-Jun-16 09:44:30

Some of these
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organail-BEST-NAIL-POLISH-UV-LED-GEL-SOAK-OFF-VARNISH-COSMETIC-ART-MAKEUP-BEAUTY-/141295289585?nav=SEARCH
as well as bluesy

needresolution Thu 16-Jun-16 12:29:44

I do my own with Sensationail from Boots or theres Rimmel Supergel that's a nail varnish that looks like a gel.

pantsjustpants Thu 16-Jun-16 14:52:20

There's an offer on Groupon at the moment for Blue Sky lamp etc. Varying packages you can buy. I'm just waiting for mine to arrive.

Squaddielife Thu 16-Jun-16 15:11:39

I have this

www.amazon.co.uk/Rokit-Gel-Polish-Professional-Kit/dp/B00MK2A1SW

and use all types of gel polish with the lamp. Buy polish from ebay or amazon

toomuchinternets Tue 21-Jun-16 11:06:53

I have a sensationail kit from boots and i love it. I use the bluesky polishes from amazon as they're a third of the price, bigger bottles and exactly the same!

biscuitkumquat Tue 21-Jun-16 11:19:51

I bought everything individually from E-Bay, but second the recommendations for Bluesky.

They have a huge range & the polish is fantastic.

If you buy via their facebook page you can get discounts or freebies.

here

Marmaladeday Tue 21-Jun-16 11:21:45

I love my sensationail kit they always look nice. Before I started doing gel nails I always looked a mess but they are so easy now.

IloveStrawberrylaces Tue 21-Jun-16 13:54:02

How do you manage to get the stuff off? I love the gel nails but i am put off having them due to the palaver getting it off ; wrapping acetone wraps around my fingers and scraping it off.. it seems such a pain to do...

SnowInLove Tue 21-Jun-16 16:46:26

I soak my nails in a bowl of acetone for 10 mins the it scrapes off esasily.

justaweeone Tue 21-Jun-16 17:57:10

Tip
Sit the bowl of acetone in a other bowl of hot water so it warms the acetone
Was given this tip by the pharmacy assistant when buying the acetone, she used to do nails professionally

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-Jun-16 21:47:14

I bought some Sensationails Base Coat (the gel protector) and the small light with a colour (I can do one finger at a time I think)

What do I need to do before I use it?
Is it just like a normal nail varnish + cure?
Or do I need to buff my nails?
Protect with nail oil?

jackstini Wed 22-Jun-16 22:15:15

ilovestrawberry - if you find it really difficult, skip the primer,or use sparingly round the edge. Sensationail do an Easy Off base and peel off nail shields as alternatives

Bails2014 - if you are going to buy one, wait until Friday - just saying.... wink

70isa - just prep nails well so no natural oils, buff very slightly with a really fine board just to take off any shine. Wash hands in washing up liquid and dry thoroughly, then you're ready. There are loads of tips on the SensatioNail facebook page too

Blossom90 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:20:03

I absolutely love bluesky gel polish. But i do find it a pain getting them off. Some colours are easier than others.

I have this UV lamp that comes with a top coat and base coat
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00J2747ME/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466669937&sr=8-2&keywords=gel+kit&pi=SY200_QL40

Flutterbye Thu 23-Jun-16 11:57:26

I've been using this Sensationail "Polish to Gel" kit so I can use my own normal (cheap) polishes and get true gel results. They last a week, but that's all I got from salon gels. Finally get longer nails, look great and I'm in full control without spending a fortune.

toomuchinternets Fri 24-Jun-16 10:42:35

I absolutely hated removing my sensationail gels.. til they brought out the EASY OFF BASE COAT. It's amazing stuff- after a week or whenever I get bored I literally can just peel the whole nail off.

emilythomson313 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:20:58

yeah, you can totally do it yourself! it takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hold of it, it is really easy!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jun-16 12:15:59

Boots Friday Flash Sale (I checked, the items I bought weren't on this, I don't need the whole kit)

But there's £15 off some kits if you get them before midnight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now