Talk

Advanced search

Epilating

(26 Posts)
MeadowHay Wed 15-Jun-16 15:28:37

Does anyone epilate? I bought an epilater quite a few months ago now - Braun Silk-épil 5. I used to shave my legs, underarms and bikini line, but find shaving time consuming, expensive, and in particular a problem for my skin as it sets off my eczema, which is a particular problem during summer when I want to have my legs out and not be worried about rashes and red marks.

The first time I used the epilator on my underarms I found the pain so horrendous I cried my eyes out like a baby and had to keep stopping blush From the second time onwards it has been completely pain-less, so I'm glad I bought the epilator because no I no longer get that horrible scratchy underarm stubble which I hated, epilating lasts longer than shaving and it's so quick to do it dry, and I no longer get cuts or eczema on my underarms, the skin there is much healthier, wahoo.

However...my legs are a different story. I have tried and tried on and off to get into the swing of epilating my calves so I don't have to shave them but I can't bear the pain! It just doesn't improve. It's like a weird, burny type pain which after a few minutes makes me feel physically sick...is this just me?! I should say that I do have Asperger's and am hypersensitive to all kinds of touches so it's possible that has something to do with it. I can't epilate past underneath my knees because my knees and above the pain for me is absolutely horrendous. I can just about manage my calves but sometimes I have to stop halfway through each one as it hurts so much, and I also find it to take ages too. I wish it wasn't so painful so I could stop shaving because I'm living abroad at the moment and the weather has been lush, but after shaving every other day for a couple of weeks my legs are now an embarrassing eczema-ry mess and I feel self-conscious getting them out. sad

Are there any ways to make it less painful? Am I just a huge wuss and it's only me that finds it so awful? Why is epilating my armpits painless, but my legs so painful?? Advice appreciated!

Kirriemuir Wed 15-Jun-16 15:52:18

My legs don't hurt but stubble grows back really quickly on me. Not been brave enough for underarms yet!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 15-Jun-16 15:55:58

I've been epilating my underarms for 15 years. The hair is so fine quite often it gets really long before I notice it.

Can't do my legs. Hurts to much and also, it just tends to break the hairs not actually rip them out? So I never had smooth legs. Most annoying.

HeyMacWey Wed 15-Jun-16 16:05:35

The first time I did my legs it felt like hundreds of pin pricks. It's now pain free. And my eczema has gone - it's so nice to not be scratching my legs.

Conversely I've been to much of a wimp to do underarms. I tried it but way too painful.

Do you do it after you've had a bath so the pores are more open?

bruffin Wed 15-Jun-16 16:08:19

Take a painkiller 20 minutes beforehand

DramaAlpaca Wed 15-Jun-16 16:23:42

I'd also recommend taking a couple of paracetamol beforehand. This might help with the touch hypersensitivity.

I epilate legs, armpits & bikini with no pain at all these days, but I've been doing it for years and most of the hair has given up the ghost & doesn't bother to grow back any more.

MeadowHay Wed 15-Jun-16 17:28:18

Ok, will try with painkillers beforehand, hadn't thought of that, I guess it just seems a bit drastic too! Feel like such a wimp.

And I usually do my underarms straight after a shower but not usually my legs, is that one of the reason there is a disparity perhaps? I didn't realise that would help.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 15-Jun-16 17:36:17

Years using mine on my legs. Hardly any hair now. Not painful. I use an old Braun epilator.
Wouldn't be brave enough for underarms though.

JimineyJelickers Sat 18-Jun-16 15:58:41

Wow, you must be brave to epilate your underarms. I tried but it hurt too much. Would you recommend just pushing through the pain the first few times?

I think you can buy epilating wipes that numb your legs, so you could maybe try those. Or, if you really can't get along with it, have you tried shaving your legs with coconut oil? That might reduce the irritation.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Sat 18-Jun-16 16:27:15

I found my old silkepil in the loft few days ago, it's been abandoned there for years. I did my legs and yes it hurts but I remember from when I used it regularly before it does get easier. For me the pain is worst on softer skin around ankles and I'm afraid I have to remove hair from my toes as a used to shave it when a silly teenager, now that bit hurts. It feels less painful if I hold my skin tight with the other hand and work fast.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Sat 18-Jun-16 16:28:19

Underarms I don't even try, I don't think I could bear the pain. You're brave OP

Just5minswithDacre Sat 18-Jun-16 16:30:03

Any heat that opens the pores will help.

Gobletofgin Sat 18-Jun-16 18:31:41

It hurts but it gets easier and if you do it each week, it doesn't take long and the hair seems to grow back thinner. I have been know to do mine after a gin or two which makes it less painful. I can't do my bikini line without alcohol grin

WicksEnd Sat 18-Jun-16 19:17:42

God you're brave, it's under arms that's the killer! After the first attempt on my legs (which hurt a bit) I was fine. I actually enjoy it!
Make sure you're warm, and try little and often at first. Do it every other day for a week or so, then every 3rd day, then you'll be down to once every few weeks.
I tried under arms, lasted a Nano second and haven't tried since

bruffin Sat 18-Jun-16 19:26:44

I find under the arms easier now than my legs. However i do use two different epilaters as my old philips seems better on longer hair ie armpits and my braun silkepil is better on short hair.

NicknameUsed Sat 18-Jun-16 19:31:01

The first time I did my underarms it hurt, but now it feels the same as doing my legs. The most painful is the upper lip IMO.

My hair grows back so quickly and I'm pretty sure that the epilator just breaks off some of the hairs rather than pulls them out.

When I read advice about epilating and waxing I just laugh because there is no way I can wait 6 weeks between hair removal.

Tumtitum Sat 18-Jun-16 19:33:44

I can only do my calves and knees, anything else hurts too much! Think you are very brave for doing armpits!! shock

JimineyJelickers Sat 18-Jun-16 22:02:05

Yy nicknameused upper lip is excruciating. And depressing seeing all the pulled out hairs sprinkling down like snow. I gave up and bought those female face razors instead.

LanaorAna1 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:28:19

A nice strong gin & cocodamol. I wept with pain when I first did my upper lip, but because epilating lasts so long I reckon it's worth it. It really reduces regrowth, double win. My legs are getting nice and numb too, but toes (am Hobbit) still retch-making agony.

OP - respect to your pits. On no planet could mine take the Epilator of Horror.

NicknameUsed Sat 18-Jun-16 22:53:13

"but because epilating lasts so long "

Ha!

It doesn't for me. I have to epilate every few days.

CointreauVersial Sun 19-Jun-16 00:08:04

Ooh, no way could I do my pits!

Legs, no problem.

My epilator came with an ice-pack "mit" that you applied to each area for a few seconds just before applying the epilator. I only bothered using it the first couple of times, but I'm sure that's something you could replicate? Get yourself one of those flexible/squidgy ice packs and wrap it in a tea towel.

DramaAlpaca Sun 19-Jun-16 00:23:37

I said above that I can epilate my legs, underarms and bikini with no pain whatsoever because I've been doing it so long.

Doing my toes, on the other hand, reduces me to tears!

NicknameUsed Sun 19-Jun-16 00:28:15

In my case the bikini line is unbelievably painful and I often end up just shaving it.

TulipStream Sun 19-Jun-16 18:54:38

I find that if I just persevere through the first few minutes of epilating my legs, my legs end up going sort of numb and I can't feel the pain !
Not sure if that's a good reaction or not for my body to do....

Artistic Sun 19-Jun-16 19:10:17

I can wax my underarms with no pain. Tried epilating & nearly died! Same with legs. Epilator is now in my cupboard at the back. Your post is making me reconsider..let us know how it goes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now