Talk

Advanced search

Please help style me as I've lost my way.

(16 Posts)
stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:43:51

I wonder if any of you can help me. I will be honest with you, I am completely lost and don't know where to start.
I've started loosing weight, lost a stone and a half. Still have 10lbs to my target but my clothes are hanging off me and I feel so drab and instead of being confident I feel even worse now.

Facts:
I'm 30 
Was 34F (no idea what I am now) 
Waist is 28"
I'm a hourglass figure and carry extra bit of weight on my thighs.
5ft 3.
Pale skin tone 
Roughly a 8/100_ on top (slight pot on me still)
Approx size 12 on bottom 

I won't attach a picture of myself but I've added a picture of my model app I've been using for weight loss.
The only difference is where the model picture has a nice curve over her hips my curve dips in at my pants line and bulges back out to my thighs.
My waist is my smallest part and my thighs are my largest. 

I've looked on Pinterest and found some pics I like the look of with Blazers. I have a few open front cardis that stop at my hips. 
Would they suit my shape?

In terms of clothes I'm looking for a capsual wardrobe max budget £200. So looking at places like asda tesco eBay and primark I suppose. 

I have 2 pairs of skinny jeans dark blue & lighter grey (unworn as I don't feel there very flattering)
I have some boyfriend style cardis
Black
Jade green
Wine
Bright blue
Blue & white thick stipes.

I'm thinking plain colours may be a better choice as you can jazz them up with scarfs and necklaces. Was thinking a white basic style vest / 3/4 length top.

I've added some pics of what style I love, will this suit my shape?

If anyone has any advice or anything I would be so thankful.  

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:45:08

Some more

greengreenten Wed 15-Jun-16 15:05:09

You have a budget so my advice would be buy budget for some plain basics like skinny jeans in dark/plain colours that are low on features (ie no rips or studs) then purchase a few nice tops. I steer clear of t shirt material which doesn't always wash and keep shape if from a budget shop. Try the sales at more premium shops for tops in linen/cotton/silk to go with your more affordable bottom half?

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 17:00:30

That's a fab idea thanks!

We have a designer village near by so the clearance sections may be very good value. I did go to next clearance recently and didn't come out with a single thing.

I'm finding the trend at the moment hire boxy for tops where I feel I need something more fitted to show off my waist? I'm not sure I may actually go to a clothes shop tomorrow and try some things on!

greengreenten Wed 15-Jun-16 17:44:37

Good idea. I would love time to try a load of things on to see what might suit. Get something new and fresh.

I'm not surprised at your Next comment, sorry. It was a great shop 'back in the day' but now it's all dull work clothes or dull beige casual clothes. Steer clear.

If you can bear it, how about TK Maxx for interesting tops. You'll need patience to rummage but can be worth it. I quite like warehouse or oasis (bit flowery), jack wills. I get some branded stuff from eBay too although it's not as cheap as it used to be.

smile

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 18:22:51

Actually TK max isn't a bad idea. Picked up a amazing wool coat 6 years ago for £30 and it's still going strong. I like the idea of getting different things after finding at the school gates 3 days running different people in the exact same asda top as me!
That's why I'm thinking to try and avoid prints and go basic colours so you can change it into different looks.

burnishedsilver Wed 15-Jun-16 18:39:34

If you see something you love thats good quality you can always have it taken in when you reach your target weight.

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:42:35

Yes that's true. Jeans wise what I have are fab as I get asda wonderfit ones so if they get big wash them and they go back to original size. This has never happened tho as there a 10-12 I think for £20 I can't go wrong. With the tops I think I'm gonna aim for some cheap vests if they don't last or don't fit for long it's only a few pounds. Although I will never ever go under a size 8 as my boobs are too big. I really don't look a 8 tho.

Thinking about it a blazer may be a good investment especially the ones that don't do up as they can't be too big of you know what I mean.

SexNamesRFab Wed 15-Jun-16 21:12:24

I've recently realised I'm an hour glass too, in the course of trying to reinvent myself (late 30s identity crisis here). Well done on the weight loss, you sound tiny to me.

I've googled how to dress the hour glass shape and these are the rules that are working for me:

- Never wear anything that cuts you off on the hips (as in the pink top in your OP) as this will emphasise your widest part.
- Instead, try tucking everything in. This is counter intuitive when you're curvy and worry about your big bum/thighs l, but just try it.
- Go for high waisted bottoms (no arse crack revealing skinnies here) in plain colours. No patterns, zips, buttons or any of that crap on your bottom half. Instead get a nice selection of skinny belts to show off your waste and help pull things in to fit. Go for cigarette style straight trousers (not too tight at the ankle or you'll get carrot legs) or pencil skirts.
- V necks show off the contrast between boobs and waist, so are very flattering. You can put a cardigan over a vest top with the top few buttons undone to create one. Again, go for cardigans which stop at the waist.

I've found some amazing bargains in H&M and Zara recently. I take photos of myself in changing rooms then look at me in different stuff side by side later to see what suits me. I'm getting a it obsessed but it's fun!

greengreenten Wed 15-Jun-16 21:15:28

Oh I know that feeling when someone says "oh you got the same top as me from tesco..." blush
I immediately send it to the Charity shop and vowed never to buy anything identifiable from a 'budget' shop. Plain works well with a good scarf winter weight or summer weight, nice jewellery too.

TychosNose Wed 15-Jun-16 21:29:53

I'm a similar height, size and shape to you. Chest only 30f though. I have a couple of cheap jersey Blazers from h and m kids and new look 915 that I think look OK. age 14+ at h and m and I think age 14-15 at new look. Worth a try for 15quid.
I plan to upgrade to more expensive ones when I can afford to.

TychosNose Wed 15-Jun-16 21:35:00

Forgot to say - because they're kids sizes they're quite short which I think is more flattering like a pp said. Finishing at the hip bone seems to draw attention away from my solid thighs.

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:21:35

Fab advice thanks all.

Waist belts are a genius idea. For the tops I have that are now mahoosive on me. They were big when I bought them as my tummy blew up at Xmas and I was almost swollen where I just ballooned.
As the fashion is oversized anyway that may just work and make it bearable to wear.

OMG I forgot about kids clothes. Yes I did this before with boleros the kids ones were stunning and as they don't go over the bust they worked well and were cheap. The arms were small but I like that! Thanks.

Really dumb question, I am a adult I should know this but is bra size measured by the under band? My 34's are getting large. On my waist I have only lost 2inches but it has always been my smallest part!

Would you believe I've only found out today I'm a hourglass. I always thought I was a pear it wasn't until I was pissing about with that model app I thought it doesn't look right so clicked on hour glass and the penny has finally dropped!

SexNamesRFab Wed 15-Jun-16 22:40:09

I thought I was pear until v recently too. What app are you using? It looks fun, if a little frightening.

Yes your bra size should be the measurement under your boobs for the band, plus an inch for every cup size. Search'bra intervention' for threads with great advice on nork management.

stripeyzebra321 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:55:13

That app is called my model. I use it as you can compare what your start weight current and goal looks like.

I do tent to wear comfort bras a lot as there so bloody comfy but hate the ugly straps. Most shops don't go upto a f but those I can get as its just small medium and large and there super stretchy. As I was browsing today I came across something called a bralette comfy one but with thinner straps and look quite pretty. No idea if they will work for me but I'm going to try one on tomorrow.

stripeyzebra321 Thu 16-Jun-16 08:00:32

Thanks so much Nose, just checked out new look online and those kids blazers are lovely. I've just checked out the teens sizing of age 14-15 and they seem to be slap bang between a woman's 8 and 10.
Just need to work out what colour I want now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now