Talk

Advanced search

It's my 40th birthday party on Saturday and I have nothing to wear

(12 Posts)
BovrilonToast Tue 14-Jun-16 20:05:30

I appear to have completely overlooked that I will need something to wear to my sodding party...

I'm 5'7, hourglass (slightly larger bottom if I'm honest...), size 12. Can't do floaty or flowery and maxi dresses make me look pregnant. Dress code is smart casual, but I'm thinking it's my party so I'll wear what I want.

I have no idea what I want to wear... help me!!! Budget up to £200....

DrowningOnSchoolRun Tue 14-Jun-16 20:32:04

I have no idea - hope the style ladies will come along with lots of links for you, but I'd start by having a look on ASOS for some ideas. What would you normally wear on a night out?

Longdistance Tue 14-Jun-16 20:37:35

I just wore a pencil skirt, and a 3/4 length sleeve top all in black. Black suits me though, and can live in it.
I had killer heels strappy Mary Janes.
My Dh took me to the local Manor House for a fancy dinner, and I wore a black maxi dress then.
Note the theme here...

Pippin8 Tue 14-Jun-16 20:59:04

Im a size 12 & similar shape wise. Id go for a more fitted style. I like Ted baker for classic styles & good cuts. I have a dress similar to this & it hides all my problems areas & makes me feel fabulous. It's a shame you don't do floral as the majority of this season is floral.

SayAGreatBigThankyou Tue 14-Jun-16 21:02:51

Ignore the styling, how about this dress?

Pippin8 Tue 14-Jun-16 21:03:35

It'd be good to know your colouring & your usual style too. I quite like virgos lounge for something a bit different, but it's not for everyone.

BovrilonToast Tue 14-Jun-16 21:09:36

Thanks everyone!

I'm quite classic, a lot of navy, grey and white usually, I'm a soft autumn, neutral skin tone with olivey green eyes and brown hair with blonde and coppery bits. My usual would be indigo jeans, white shirt and heels...

I wear a lot of dresses for work, Hobbs, LK Bennet etc, so anything like that would be a bit too work -like for me...

I can do big patterns, and abstract floral but anything too girly makes me look very young, and not in a good way!!

The do is a posh BBQ, so not too dressy. It would have been so much easier to have a sit down dinner then I could have just worn a cocktail dress!!

DrowningOnSchoolRun Wed 15-Jun-16 20:16:47

Have you found something?

For what it's worth, my friend had a posh BBQ for her 40th and she wore a shift dress that was nude lining with black lace and strappy sandals and she looked lovely.

crazybutterflylady Wed 15-Jun-16 21:04:13

How about one of the full midi skirt from coast/ted baker etc? They're structured/not floaty and would be perfect for what you describe. Wear with a plain vest to dress down a bit. You could wear heels or wedges to start off then swap for flats later as things become relaxed.

BovrilonToast Wed 15-Jun-16 21:14:23

I found a Boden dress after trawling everywhere last night! In navy with some wedges, hopefully it'll be ok otherwise I'll have to go to an actual shop on Saturday!

http://m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-petite-range/dresses/ww040-pnk/womens-navypink-mandalay-hotchpotch-selina-dress?cmm_mmc=PLAGooglegle_--Shopping-_-Product&istCompanyId=a40e1fa1-0635-4a1b-8d9a-2caa763eeee2&istItemId=arxqimwap&istBid=wzwt&gclid=CJbdqu3rqs0CFewW0wodU1EO3w

Sorry. Don't know how to link properly on the app!!

DrowningOnSchoolRun Tue 21-Jun-16 19:23:36

Hope you had a fabulous party regardless of what you wore! (What did you wear? The Boden dress is a lovely mix of colours)

A1Sharon Tue 21-Jun-16 19:33:37

I am a little taller than you, and size 14, but otherwise similar shape.
I have this blazer in bottle green,here.
Then I have black, cuffed,tapered trousers, which look fab with heels.
You can wear any top underneath, metallic,vest, etc.
With heels and loads of jewellery looks fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now