Talk

Advanced search

High-end make up loves

(28 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Tue 14-Jun-16 13:57:17

I have a bunch of vouchers to spend in John Lewis. I'm going tomorrow and I'm going to treat myself to some new make up so I'm really interested to hear what others on here recommend & what you would splash out on?

I'm thinking of getting a good foundation as I only ever buy high street and I need something with better coverage but not cakey. And I'm bored of my naked pallette so might see what eye shadows are knocking about. Maybe a contour kit?

Please offer any recommendations!

notthestereotype1 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:13:57

My fav foundation, which I'm hoping to be able to afford again soon sad is YSL youth liberator with serum foundation. It gives a lovely finish. Dewy and bright, but with good, buildable coverage. Great shade choice too. It ticks all the boxes for me.

puglife15 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:24:36

For all day good coverage Estee Double Wear can't be beaten IMO. It is quite heavy though. Quite like Dior Forever for a lighter finish. And I do love how Chanel foundations feel, unfortunately I struggle with the shades but you might not.

Toxicity Tue 14-Jun-16 14:41:52

Burberry eyeshadows are lovely and buttery and Lipstick Queen lip products are gorgeous too.

I also recommend Estee Lauder Double Wear, especially good if you find your foundation doesn't last the whole day, just make sure you put a moisturiser on first.

There are some lovely brands at John Lewis so have a play with everything!!

1wokeuplikethis Tue 14-Jun-16 16:11:48

I find double wear really cakey on my skin :-/ tried lots of samples of it before my wedding. I'm not exactly a wrinkly ballsack at 30 but it really made my creases stand out

whitesklyer Tue 14-Jun-16 16:46:01

Im a big Dior eye make-up fan, whatever is in the colours they stay on all day. pricy but nicey

gonegrey56 Tue 14-Jun-16 17:07:32

YSL Fusion Ink foundation is amazing ! Not cakey, you can layer it where you need better coverage . Brilliant colours too. Ask for a sample (great little dinky pots, perfect for travel).

Otherwise , have a Bobbi Brown makeup lesson (cost is redeemable against a make up purchase ), always fun to try a new look (eg evening look; smokey eye; etc )

Enjoy your day!

thatorchidmoment Tue 14-Jun-16 17:40:10

I love Bobbi brown: I've had the foundation stick, which is buildable and you can layer it right up to full coverage; and also a fairly new one with dewy coverage called something like super serum foundation. That plus some light eyebrow pencil and lip balm, and I happy to face the world! It comes in a slightly odd bottle with dropper dispenser, which not everyone will like.
Happy shopping! smile

PickleSarnie Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:11

I second the bobbi brown foundation stick. You would totally expect it to be dry and cakey but it's really not. And brilliant for carrying around because it won't leak/smash.

jasmine1979 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:19:16

By Terry ombre blackstar eyeshadow sticks are a huge favourite of mine. Especially the shade "misty rock."
I've tried loads many similar products but nothing compares. They are hugely expensive for one stick (about £28) but I know that every time I repurchase one it will be totally used up, and not end up in the bottom of a drawer as another failed make-up buy!

I agree that Lipstick Queen lipsticks are amazing. smile

Nars creamy concealer is also great if you need one. They last forever as well as you need such a tiny amount.

1wokeuplikethis Tue 14-Jun-16 20:08:08

Does anybody know whether the MAC foundations are any good?

andadietcoke Tue 14-Jun-16 20:11:12

Is there an Hourglass counter? Their ambient light powder is amazing.

nickdrakeslovechild Tue 14-Jun-16 21:44:46

Mac Face and Body foundation is amazing! a big bottle lasts me over a year and you can layer it up for when you need a heavier coverage. I also use it on the tops of my arms. Definitely recommend it.

Bails2014 Tue 14-Jun-16 21:55:32

Laura Mercier all the way! The oil free tinted moisturiser, blusher, eye concealer and contour palette are game changers.

Is the Estee Lauder Double Wear good? I got it as a freebie (full size) when I bought some of their fancy moisturiser at the weekend, I'll have to give it a go.

LastTripToTulsa Tue 14-Jun-16 23:24:30

Double wear is fantastic

Howaboutthisone Wed 15-Jun-16 15:12:21

Double wear light is great and a bit easier to apply too.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 15-Jun-16 15:54:24

Mac f&b I agree is fantastic. I love Urban Decay naked skin too.

I've just bought the Clinique chubby stick foundation which is great - might be similar to the bobbi brown one actually I might try that next.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Wed 15-Jun-16 16:00:54

By Terry Touche Veloute - it craps all over YSL Touche éclat. however...tis not available in JL I don't think (tis in Space NK). As others have recommended as well, for heavy coverage Face Atelier is brilliant (especially when applied with a beauty blender sponge - even sausage fingered me can't fuck it up! grin

Lancome Doll Eyes Mascara. I have long lashes anyway but this gives them real volume and the colour is a true jet black

Also love Estee Lauder DoubleWear Light. orignal Doublewear is a bit much for my skin, i don't need quite that much coverage so the light is just right for me

Dior eyeshadow sets are also lovely, well worth the price as they stay put all day

Those are my top picks that i wouldn't be without even if everything else i've got is cheaper

1wokeuplikethis Wed 15-Jun-16 16:25:51

Well that was disappointing. JL in Leicester; no Mac counter, no urban decay, no appropriate sales people as they were on break. The Bobbi brown woman had a streaming cold so wouldn't/couldn't apply anything to me

I bought UD naked 3 pale from denenhsnle shhh. Damn hulk what N

1wokeuplikethis Wed 15-Jun-16 17:47:13

That's meant to say I bought the naked 3 pallette from debenhams and came home with all my JL vouchers unspent.

Very disappointed!

FinallyHere Wed 15-Jun-16 17:51:05

Sorry you had a disappointing time.

[whispers] think you can use JL vouchers in Waitrose.

someonescj Wed 15-Jun-16 18:56:58

All of the make up counters in JL Leicester have appalling customer service in my experience, if you were thinking of going back I'd go elsewhere to save on disappointment again.

BeaLola Wed 15-Jun-16 19:19:48

Sorry you had a disappointing visit. No idea how big a JL it is.

If the B Brown lady was helpful perhaps book ahead for a session with her and mention your visit today.

Re spending the vouchers I love BB foundation stick and I love the Chanel Les Beiges range. Plus JO Malone candles, bath oil and body scrubs. Hope you enjoy spending soon !

1wokeuplikethis Wed 15-Jun-16 19:57:12

Oooh jo Malone bath oil, now that would be a treat; i would NEVER buy that sort of thing for myself. Any particular sort?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now