Talk

Advanced search

help - smart business attire needed

(5 Posts)
lasermum Mon 13-Jun-16 20:09:17

I have always worked in the public sector and worn relatively informal clothes to work but I have a job interview for a growing IT company coming up.

The details confirming the interview states that the dress code is "smart business attire".

I am mid 50s, fat and lost my way with fashion about 30 years ago. I fear I will look like their mother (or granny) on a bad day.

What can I wear that fits the brief? I have a big arse and huge thighs that need to be minimised!!

Any suggestions gratefully received ! TIA

(Or maybe I should stick to jobs in the public sector.......!)

RaisingSteam Mon 13-Jun-16 20:30:40

Maybe a smart jacket over a black dress?

bojorojo Mon 13-Jun-16 21:53:17

If the company has a "young" feel to it, a black dress is rather funereal in summer. I think navy and white is a bit more forgiving and chic. Shops like Hobbs have some very good dresses available and if you go on a quieter day and explain your dilemma, an assistant will help you. They also do fluid trousers that hide larger thighs and matching jackets. You could then go a bit more interesting with a blouse and accessories. Jaeger sale is starting soon and they have really smart pieces for the office.

If you look at Hillary Clinton (yes, I know she is older) she does a really good job of masking a slightly larger backside. She is regularly in trouser suits with longer line jackets. You do not want loud colours, but you need something that says you are professional and smart so go for something that says this about you. Good quality shoes too!

lasermum Mon 13-Jun-16 23:03:18

Thank you - I have googled images of Hilary Clinton which was interesting although my problem area is ahem larger than hers!

Will also review my shoes.

I do have a black linen dress which I could add a bright jacket and scarf to but not sure if linen is smart enough (could look like a creased crumpled mess before I arrive).

Nettletheelf Mon 13-Jun-16 23:53:11

Don't wear linen to an interview! For the reason you've identified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now