How long would you still use a lipstick??

(24 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sun 12-Jun-16 21:08:28

I just emptied a handbag I had not used for years a while (yes, I am a slattern).

And found two Clinique lipsticks in it - lovely shades too. I don't really use lipstick, day to day, so have not missed them or anything.

Will I give myself lip mange if I used them?
I have no idea whether they are still 'slidey' either…. I'll have to try them out, won't I?

LadyAntonella Sun 12-Jun-16 21:11:25

I have a lovely Chanel one which I used today - it was given to me as a gift at my hen do. I have been married nearly five years!!! blush

I will report back if I come down with lip mange any time soon but so far, so good.

PacificDogwod Sun 12-Jun-16 21:21:39

Oh, that is encouraging to hear - fingers crossed for you, Lady! grin

I've tried one of them - did not smell rancid, went on smooth, still like the colour - so far so good here too <purses lips>

LyndaNotLinda Sun 12-Jun-16 21:22:34

I use they if they're still slidey and/or if they don't smell rank. I've had some lipsticks for years blush

fieldfare Sun 12-Jun-16 21:22:42

I'd use it as long as it didn't smell funky.

yougetme Sun 12-Jun-16 21:25:22

Yes its the smell that lets you know if its okay to use.

If your lips are still in place in the morning you have made the right choice smile

Fuzzypeggy Sun 12-Jun-16 21:27:02

I have about 35 lipsticks, maybe more so based on this I would say that some of them are literally years and years old. I've never had a lipstick go off.

PacificDogwod Sun 12-Jun-16 21:28:43

Oh goody, you are all on 'my' side!

I am tempted now to tip some more handbags over - I am not a lipstick girl and really not a handbag one either (which is why they linger for ages and ages on a high shelf in the wardrobe), so who knows what treasures I might unearth?!

I did just through out the posh foundation I bought for my wedding day. 19 years ago shockblush

Fuzzypeggy Sun 12-Jun-16 21:28:57

Ps one of them I remember buying in the sixth form, I rarely use it as I love it but it's discontinued now so I save it for special occasions. I am almost 40 so this makes it over 20 years old !!!

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 12-Jun-16 21:29:35

I think I've had some of my lovely ones for years
Quality pays 😄
Cheap ones ( boots no 7 ) don't last 10 minutes

Fuzzypeggy Sun 12-Jun-16 21:31:25

Hahaha my 20 year old one is boots cheap one and is still fine, maybe the quality was better 20 years ago!!

LadyAntonella Sun 12-Jun-16 21:34:02

Mine smelt and tasted quite nice so that's good! Also was very slidey so I predict no lip mange (famous last words)! grin

PacificDogwod Sun 12-Jun-16 21:37:12

It does make me wonder just what kind of preservatives they put in these things to make them last like that?!
Maybe my lips will now no longer age? I live in hope.

I still have the eye liner my mate gave me when we were 14 and I had not discovered make-up yet grin. It is quite short and stubby now and I don't actually use it, but it's there...

Trills Sun 12-Jun-16 21:38:03

Forever, unless it looked or smelled or felt weird.

ladedah Sun 12-Jun-16 22:33:36

you could sterilise it by wiping the outside with anti bac like I've seen them do with the testers in Mac. think if it was "off" it'd have droplets of moisture (oil?) on the outside, probably happens less with more expensive brands

Jelliedeels Sun 12-Jun-16 22:39:26

They go off.

I have about 5 that must ten years old I still use them, I wear them occasionally as I don't wear makeup much

But never even thought they went off

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 13-Jun-16 13:45:37

It will be fine, but if you're worried just slice a sliver of the top off with a sharp knife. The only way it would go manky would be bacteria from your own lips when you last used it.

LaConnerie Mon 13-Jun-16 14:49:27

I never worry about makeup going off - good job really as I buy it constantly and would end up having to chuck loads out.

I still have my 'wedding' lipstick from 16 years ago. Actually I still have some of the original Miss Selfridge makeup in the white and pink packaging - that must be donkeys years old.

I don't think it's done me any harm!

onlyconnect Mon 13-Jun-16 18:02:16

I've got one I bought in 1993 that I still use occasionally- not very often though obviously

LadyAntonella Mon 13-Jun-16 19:57:08

So far, no lip mange! That is all.

SilverHawk Mon 13-Jun-16 20:32:13

I still use a Coty lipstick. No idea when they stopped that brand! It's probably twenty years old and the colour is just marvellous on me but it is now down to the plastic sad

PacificDogwod Mon 13-Jun-16 21:03:49

No lip mange or pestilence here either grin

QueefRichards Mon 13-Jun-16 21:37:45

I have a MAC Viva Glam from its first incarnation in 1994 which I still use, but only on special occasions because it's so precious. It smells and looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it. I will be distraught when it finally gets used up. I also still use the lipstick I wore on my wedding day in 2003. Lips 100% mange-free grin

FrustratedFrugal Tue 14-Jun-16 14:13:32

Lipsticks have great preservative systems. Extreme heat and being carried around can cause melting and breaking (they tend to fall off the tube and break messily), but my lipsticks have never gone off although I've lived in Mediterranean and tropical climates. I have some from late 1990s and early 2000s that are still totally wearable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now