Anyone painted metallic fabric shoes with clear nail varnish?

(10 Posts)
mrsvilliers Sat 11-Jun-16 13:57:06

I've got some metallic fabric shoes to wear with a chiffon bridesmaid dress next weekend. Only problem is the dress catches really badly on the shoes and I keep thinking I'm going to trip up. I read this tip on the intenet and wondered if anyone had done it? Also I think they are going to rip my feet to shreds in about an hour so any tips to stretch gratefully received...

Trills Sat 11-Jun-16 14:39:02

If they will rip your feet to shreds after an hour and you are expected to wear them all day then my advice is to get different shoes. You really don't want hurty feet.

mrsvilliers Sat 11-Jun-16 14:57:59

Hah! Good advice but not possible. Chosen by the bride who is matchy matchy all the way. I will bring a spare pair for the evening but need to be in them for a good few hours.

StylishDuck Sat 11-Jun-16 15:54:23

I can't picture what you mean by metallic fabric... Am I being thick?

If they were leather I would say put on a thicker pair of socks under them and give them a blast with your hairdryer to stretch them out. Not sure if that would work with your shoes.

travailtotravel Sat 11-Jun-16 15:55:20

stuff them with damp newspaper to stretch out. You have my symapthy over the owie shoes situation.

mrsvilliers Sat 11-Jun-16 20:07:05

Ooh the damp newspaper sounds great, I will give it a go. And also the sock/hairdryer treatment on a new pair of leather shoes I have for the evening before. Stylish they are these shoes m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Miah+peep+toe+cross+over+heeled+sandals/231652052,default,pd.html Completely fine in the shop and trying on with the dress but when I gave them a bit more of a tryout it all felt a bit shreddy shock

FinallyHere Sat 11-Jun-16 20:15:18

Compeed plasters are brilliant. Use them preemptively on places which will rub. Try the shoes round the house and notice which parts run, then put plasters on those parts. You may need to do this a couple of times. Have fun.

StylishDuck Sat 11-Jun-16 21:04:54

Ooh, they're lovely! Don't fancy wearing them all day though confused Agree with pre-empting with plasters.

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Sat 11-Jun-16 21:11:48

Be very careful with the damp newspaper - they look like they may mark if the ink bleeds.

mrsvilliers Mon 13-Jun-16 12:51:56

Thanks everyone I had them on last night and they weren't too painful so hoping it was the warmer weather last week affecting my feet! At any rate I will go armed with compeeds and my sister also just told me surgical tape is a good preemptive so may try that as well. Here's hoping after two DCs I can get back to standing after kneeling down to arrange the bride's train grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now