Talk

Advanced search

long hair - thinking about having a bob?

(22 Posts)
Janicejohn Fri 10-Jun-16 20:13:20

I'm in my fifties. Have a round face. Probably a stone overweight. Have always had long hair and a fringe, but am sick of tying it back which I do most days. Would a long bob suit me? I've looked at photos on google images, but most are of people with thin faces and just the one chin. Any advice please?

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 10-Jun-16 20:15:19

I think a bob can be a bit severe on a round face. They ("they" grin ) say that long layers are the most flattering.

BarbaraRoberts Fri 10-Jun-16 21:54:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iloveangel Fri 10-Jun-16 22:18:28

You see I disagree(sorry!!), as I too have a very wide round face and find that I actually look better with a jaw length bob as it defines my jaw and gives me a 'neck'. I wear my fringe slightly swept to each side as it will not sit as a block fringe. Length wise fringe comes to my lower lashes.

I actually look bigger faced with longer hair....I think it is because it seems to just 'hang' but with a jaw length inverted bob there is nothin to worry about styling at the back but still enough length at the sides to slim the face and slightly disguise a wide jaw line.

Cherrypie32 Fri 10-Jun-16 22:21:56

Don't do it. I had mine cut from long into a bob and now feel frumpy, unglamorous and boring. I'm carrying a bit too much weight at the moment but have realised my hair made me feel quite good still. I wanted to look like Jennifer Lawrence, funnily enough I dont!

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:14:53

I'm 50. Always had long hair. I've cut it to shoulder length and now gone shorter, so it's a longer Bob, approx two inches or more below chin.

It's made me look better/younger.

My tip though is less is more. I was blow drying it with big round brush and or bavyliss big styler and using lots of products and didn't really like how it looked. A bit Lego headed, old fashioned and UST not doing it for me.

As we have had boiling hot weather of late, one day I washed it and combed it through and let it dry naturally. I did run some oil through the ends, but that is all.

It looked fab when it dried. I now either let it dry naturally or just blow dry it with no brush, just quickly moving the hair dryer from side to side and downwards over hair.

I really like it and it's so easy to manage.

Whisky2014 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:15:56

A bit like dawn French? I think her hair suits her.

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:20:26

This is what made me personally look frumpy and helmet headed

Too much styling.

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:21:21

This is more like mine now only mine is a lighter colour and the fringe has a little more structure.

VoleSnuffle Sat 11-Jun-16 10:22:40

You can usually tie your long hair back and then pull the sides out and forward to make a bob so you can see what it looks like.

I have had long hair, medium length, short etc but my hair has become far too uncooperative after having children to have a bob. One side curled out whilst the other was half straight and half curled under. No matter what I did it was just awkward. Even my hairdresser said it was an arse grin

So now I have it long and layered.

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:23:30

This is what I might do in the future, have layers.

I do have to wear my hair up for work and some bits need hair clips and being honest when I had long hair and wore it up it looked better by far than short hair worn up but we I only work twice a week it's a small price to pay!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sat 11-Jun-16 10:26:48

I had always had long hair, then when I lost weight last year I had it cut into a long bob. There was no way I'd have cut it when I was plumper in the face.

I work with someone who has a very thick, chin length bob. She's not even fat but has a podgy neck and a bit of a double chin, she looks ok from the front but awful from the sides. This is what scares me about having a bob myself.

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:26:58

Dawn French has lovely hair and it suits her. That was the look I was going for originally but it looked horrendous on me. It looked like a wig or a helmet on me and didn't make me look better or younger although the hair without my face looked lovely. It just didn't suit me.

Janicejohn Sat 11-Jun-16 12:17:03

Thank you all! I like the second picture you posted Tate. That was what I had in mind. I work a lot outside, so I'm never going to be sleek.

Tate15 Sat 11-Jun-16 12:24:11

I like Alexa Chung's hair

Cheapthrills Sat 11-Jun-16 13:21:41

I think it depends on all kinds of things eg hair type, face shape, state of neck, styling. I had a bob for years but it took a lot of effort for it to look really nice. I could never just wash and go. Also It made my neck look scrawny. Longer hair disguises it grin. Have you tried one of those apps where you can change your hair style and colour? It will give you an idea. I was thinking of going dark and that put me off.

LadyAntonella Sat 11-Jun-16 13:56:38

I love my bob! It is jaw length. I always dreamed of having long, silky hair but finally realised my hair is never going to be silky sad. I'm embracing my short do. It does suit me and gives me a neck. It also adds volume round my head so I look more in proportion. I think there is an appeal to long hair though which makes me want it even though I know I don't really suit it.

Anyway, my bob requires a lot less fuss in terms of styling. As pp said, less can be more. I find mine looks best if I wash it and go to sleep on it.

I am a few lbs overweight too btw and 32. I think my face is probably somewhere between oval and square shaped.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Jun-16 14:16:40

I used to have my hair in a one length, no fringe, no layers bob. Every so often i'd have it cut so it just sat on my collarbones.
I don't use a hairdryer ever.
Occasionally use straighteners.
My hair needs to be off mu face at work.
My aim was Footballers Wives glam.
The reality was a bit boring sad

The layers and choppy fringe is quite RockChick.

Youvegottobekidding Sat 11-Jun-16 17:38:54

Ive just had my longish hair cut into a lob. I too have a very very round face & could do with losing a stone. I'm 40+ & have accepted my long hair days are gone, it reaches a certain length, then looks crap (because I dye it a lot) so I end up chopping it off!

I quite like my hair at this length, I can still tie it back if I wish. I think it suits me, I just need to practice more at trying to get the wavy look with my straighteners!!!

MadSprocker Sat 11-Jun-16 17:54:41

I think it depends how long your hair is to start with. I really like Holly Willoughby's hair now she has gone from bra length hair, to just below shoulders. Much more modern.

WomanScorned Sat 11-Jun-16 17:57:28

I'm late 40s and recently had my long, boring hair cut in to what, I think, is called a 'disconnected bob'. I absolutely love it. Most of all, I love not having to constantly comb out the dreadlocks at the back, where my hair was becoming coarser by the year.

It's actually more versatile, as I can have it smooth (quick blow dry, serum and run mini straighteners through) or messy ( the same, but with some spray gel in he back/top). Itakes a quarter of the time to wash and dry - I just wish I'd one it years ago!

I say 'Go for it'. After all, what's the worst that can happen?

Janicejohn Sat 11-Jun-16 18:25:41

I'm having it done Wednesday! Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now