Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pinafores/ Dungarees. Are they going to look passe next year?

(9 Posts)
Featherstep Thu 09-Jun-16 20:58:08

I used to think those pinafores/ dungarees everyone's now wearing is a silly trend that makes women look like they're 12. But I'm now gradually persuading myself that they can be quite a stylish casual wear choice and flattering on the right person. Good for breastfeeding too apparently.

Thing is, will I look like a fashion victim come next season/ next year? I don't like buying things just to wear for 1 season and I'm not convinced this trend will last. And I'm too old to be a 'festival' type dresser (35).

If you're over 30 do you have one of these? Do you think you'll get much wear out of yours?

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 09-Jun-16 22:02:28

I bought two cord pinafores (one navy, one black) back at the beginning of the year. I've worn them loads, mainly with a blouse underneath, opaques and Chelsea boots. I've worn them to work, but I'm in a creative environment and I appreciate they wouldn't be acceptable for everyone's workplaces! If they're not cool next season I have definitely got my money's worth.

I also have dungarees, black and denim - I bought the black last summer and the denim this year. Again, worn loads, mainly with stripy tops, and either brogues or trainers with bare ankles. I found they didn't work really in the winter as they need the flash of bare ankle. Again, if they've had their day at the end of this summer, they'll be "free" in terms of cost per wear.

Could you try some on and see how you feel?

Tate15 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:14:38

I don't think they go out of style! People have always worn them.

I bought these for my daughter a year of so ago and they are lovely and summery. Not really a fashion item just a lovely outfit.

Floisme Fri 10-Jun-16 09:39:14

I think they're like jumpsuits. The first time you see them you go, 'nah' then one day you see someone looking really good in one and then suddenly they're everywhere.

My guess - I'm back to dungarees now (though it applies to jumpsuits too) is that they'll be around for a good couple of years but when they do fall out of favour, it'll be big time i.e. you spend the next 20 years going, 'what was I thinking'. grin But that's part of the fun! As long as you buy now and wear loads, I think you'll get your money's worth.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 10-Jun-16 09:46:37

My DD has dungarees shorts that she wears any time of year (Winter with opaque tights and lace up Converse)
Though I always remind her to give herself an extra 3 minutes to get to the loo grin

I like the chunky cord pinafore dresses but the ones I have seen are very short, so with tights and short boots maybe.

Littlelondoner Sun 12-Jun-16 13:21:22

I have some tailored black skinny legged ones. I love the look of them and played around with them loads around house but I am yet to actually wear them out in public.

I fear yet an other item banished to back of wardrobe with tags on.

I am only 28 but used to dressing quite smart just can't help but feel a little girl in them or take myself seriously.

Featherstep Sun 12-Jun-16 14:08:58

Yeah me too, I feel most comfortable dressed smart and elegant, but am now on maternity leave and looking for casual things that won't make me look like a slob/are more stylish than jeans and tees.

I need to get out of my comfort zone but ... I also look young for my age and fear looking like an oversized toddler in a pinafore and trainers.

Maybe a black one is the way to go...

It's true jumpsuits don't yet seem to be going away and a great thing that is too! Love jumpsuits.

Featherstep Sun 12-Jun-16 14:38:06

Judy you're right I am not sure how to pull off dungarees in colder weather!

UhtredRagnorsson Sun 12-Jun-16 15:03:01

I love them. They are comfy. They suit my body type. They don't fall off/down. I will wear them forever. I don't care if nobody else does, they don't suit everyone after all but they suit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now