Talk

Advanced search

Skirts for the summer with a fat arse...

(8 Posts)
LaConnerie Thu 09-Jun-16 12:26:30

I am not overweight, size 12 and 5ft 10, but no matter how fit/slim I ever manage to be, I always have a substantial arse - from the side it looks as if it follows me iyswim and it's not a good look (since I'm not trying to channel a Kardashian).

So what skirts can I wear for summer? If I wear loose flared skirts the flare out from behind is enormous and I look like a tank. If I try to wear straight or fitted skirts they are usually too small for my bum, unless I buy a huge one which is then too big everywhere else. I have one cargo skirt that fits me well and I live in it - it's knee length and is cut just right - but I bought it years ago and I can't find anything else like it.

Would a tube skirt be a no no? Do people wear them in the summer? Is there a brand which is more bum-friendly?

LaConnerie Thu 09-Jun-16 12:59:22

I just realised my opening bit sounded a bit defensive grin

kittensandgin Thu 09-Jun-16 13:31:56

I suffer from the same problem (or at least I did when I was slimmer.....now it has become more of a substantial everything problem confused) and have mostly given up on skirts as dresses are so much more flattering on me. The only shapes that sometimes work quite well are high-waisted a-line or (strangely enough!) tulip skirts. Very much trial and error though, I can never tell by just looking at it / sticking to a particular shape. Not helpful, sorry.

LaConnerie Thu 09-Jun-16 13:36:08

Tulip skirts? Will have to google that one!

kittensandgin Thu 09-Jun-16 13:57:36

You'll be horrified when you google them grin - they really shouldn't work on my shape at all, but some of the less extreme ones do and they have to be fairly high-waisted.

TychosNose Thu 09-Jun-16 14:14:38

Agree with kittens tulip skirts are the way to go. I've got a great big round bum even though I'm not fat and I always avoided tulip skirts because I thought they might accentuate but they're really flattering.

LaConnerie Thu 09-Jun-16 14:23:39

I will have to try one on - I have to admit I'm not convinced! I can't imagine it would do much for my hips & thighs other than make them look as fat as my arse - but I appreciate the suggestion & will give it a go!

Acornantics Thu 09-Jun-16 18:42:41

I'm 6ft and a 12 top, 14 bottom half, I have the same issue as you and avoid skirts like the plague, not because I don't want to wear them, but because I've no idea what style to get.

However, recently bought a gorgeous striped Marks and Spencer skirt, navy and cream midi skirt in a stretchy material and it absolutely gorgrous. I'll try to link...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now