Can you wear shorts if you are a pear?

(11 Posts)
pinknailstoday Thu 09-Jun-16 11:40:15

5ft 4. Size 10/12 on top, size 12/14 on bottom.

I bought a pair of next chino shorts in navy last year in size 14 but they just dont look right.

Can I do shorts being a pear, and if so what should I be looking for?

minipie Thu 09-Jun-16 11:57:05

TBH I'm larger of thigh/bum and have recently reached the conclusion that I can't do shorts.

I did have a pair that looked ok a while ago - they were knee length and sort of cargo style (but pockets were tiny and low down towards the knee), not tight not too baggy. But they wore out. They were a bit like this but much cheaper. So I'd say maybe something like that?

Starduke Thu 09-Jun-16 13:38:02

Yes but they have to be the right length. I bought some (lovely stretchy denim) ones from M&S last summer and they're just right - about half way down my thighs. Any shorter and I feel wobbly and fat, any longer and I look like a frumpy short arse (5'3, 10/12)

PeaceNotPieces Thu 09-Jun-16 13:42:21

Are you looking for a casual day to day / school run type wear?

I think with a longer blouse/top that comes to half way / all the way down to your bottom, shorts look fine.

The biggest battle is relaxing in them, getting used to them and realising that in most cases no one is paying any attention to you wearing shorts.

I'm exactly the same body shape/size as you and only started wearing shorts last year. I wear flip flops with mine as I walk like anew born calf in any sort of heel!

frenchfancy Thu 09-Jun-16 13:44:03

I've given up on shorts. Skirts are so much more comfortable, look better and are just as practical.

Starduke Thu 09-Jun-16 13:46:12

Here

Krampus Thu 09-Jun-16 13:51:56

I'm around the same dimensions as you and have given up. It doesn't help that I have big knobly knees, if the length is flattering on my thighs the they end up making my knees look huge. I do have a pair of drapey flared shorts that are ok for the beach but wouldn't dare wear them out and about.

I live in light weight printed cropped trousers (thank you New Look).

Laus13 Thu 09-Jun-16 14:08:36

I'm a similar shape to you and ended up with a pair of golf style shorts from banana republic.
They fit so nicely and they're really comfy.
I always have to decide between baggy waist or baggy thighs. Went with slightly baggy waist on these but the leg fit was fine.
I also have legs that could take me across the dessert... Not fat, but muscle!!

HickDead Thu 09-Jun-16 18:32:33

I bought a pair of denim boyfriend shorts from Sainsburys last year and find them very flattering.

Krampus Thu 09-Jun-16 21:31:32

I wonder if these would work
www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/shorts/flowing-darted-bermuda-shorts-c404505p3417032.html

Krampus Thu 09-Jun-16 21:33:15

Or

www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/shorts/bermuda-shorts-with-front-embroidery-c404505p3392021.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now