Talk

Advanced search

Thinking ahead- what are your Autumn/winter essential pieces of clothing?

(34 Posts)
Nearlyadoctor Wed 08-Jun-16 15:10:11

I know, I know it's only June but I've just been having a clear out of my wardrobe and there's a lot of items that are either ok or even a bit meh.

Thinking ahead to the Autumn I'd like to have a wardrobe of items that I actually want to wear and will be worn until they need replacing, not a wardrobe of items that I don't want to wear/ misbuys, that always seem too good to get rid of and will never be worn out.

Please share your capsule / essential items for Autumn and Winter.

Floisme Wed 08-Jun-16 19:26:57

A new leather jacket for my 60th. But it'll have to be spot on so I'll probably be 70 by the time I find it.

A coat for wearing in the rain. With a hood. That I actually like. I always end up making do which is ridiculous as this probably gets worn more than anything else in my wardrobe. So this autumn I'm going to spend whatever I can afford to get it right. (Bet I don't.)

Autumn must-haves for me =

black skinnies
ankle boots
leather biker jackets
turtle neck jumpers
opaques and tube skirts
thin v neck jumpers, slightly slouchy

Winter = pretty much the same but with a bigger coat on

Floisme Wed 08-Jun-16 19:38:32

Sorry just realised I've probably answered the wrong question! You mean, what are my autumn essentials? Ok mine would be:
Coat
flat boots
Lots of Knitwear
Couple of tube skirts (good quality ones)
Well fitting jeans
Decent underwear

I'll get slaughtered for saying this but I can't wait grin

Flo - I bought this beauty in the sales this Winter. Love it! And the hood actually stays up, even on my freakishly tiny head.

Floisme Wed 08-Jun-16 19:44:24

Thanks Remus <weeps at the price but knows it has to be done>

I may be calling on you for leather jacket advice - much more fun! grin

I got it for much, much cheaper.

Leather jackets - my best ones are from Oasis. Wearing much better than my more expensive Mint Velvet. I do have the occasional hankering (several times a week in Autumn) for a Whistles one though.

Floisme Wed 08-Jun-16 19:57:40

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of Oasis. If Whistles do one in grey then I'll be very tempted...

Sorry op, first I answer a question you hadn't even asked and then I hijack blush

Nepotism Wed 08-Jun-16 19:58:03

Massimo Dutti for leather jackets....

Sorry OP!

No grey, Flo, but look at this thing of gorgeousness.

MV for grey

Nearlyadoctor Wed 08-Jun-16 20:11:22

No worries Flo - love the grey jacket from MV. Never had a biker style jacket, maybe a considered purchase this year grin

cressetmama Wed 08-Jun-16 20:50:07

In Green, possibly this

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 08-Jun-16 21:05:18

Quite a similar list to Remus here:

Black biker leather jacket - funnily enough I splashed out on a new one from Whistles with my birthday money/the Grazia code back in March
Chelsea boots
Black and grey skinny jeans
A-line skirts and crew-neck jumpers, opaques
Long-sleeved blouses - worn with Uniqlo heat-tech tops underneath when it's cold
What I would like more of for autumn are long-sleeved dresses in heavy-ish jersey, just above knee-length. Probably Whistles again.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 08-Jun-16 21:07:21

That said, I have just bought a number of midi dresses which I am very much hoping to get a summer out of with bare legs and trainers, so am not in the "I hate summer" camp like a thread I saw earlier.

I have a beautiful Whistles dress, just as you describe Judy. Wish I could find/afford a few more!

I love Summer, but don't like summer clothes (or me in summer clothes!) terribly much.

A beautiful warm wool coat - I'm still on a 5 year old camel coloured swing maternity coat but it's looking tatty now.

Long leather gloves (hate having cold wrists)

Dark nail polish - love Chanel autumn colours

Ankle boots

Warm waterproof parka
Leather jacket

Love the khaki whistles jacket Remus

RebelandaStunner Wed 08-Jun-16 22:01:27

Leather pencil skirt, leather jacket, warm waterproof parka, ankle and long boots, jeggings and jeans in various colours, coated jeans, a selection of knitwear, work dressses with card I and opaque tights.

RebelandaStunner Wed 08-Jun-16 22:02:23

Cardies*

Floisme Wed 08-Jun-16 22:10:18

Aw that Khaki Whistles jacket - love it. Thanks so much for the ideas everyone chocolate flowers

Back to autumn essentials - I'd probably go for merino wool for my knitwear and start with Uniqlo.

Love autumn/winter clothes.

AmberNectarine Wed 08-Jun-16 22:19:36

I also have a Whistles leather jacket - though mine is burgundy.

I don't do practical coats. Mine are all faux fur or cashmere. If it rains, I get wet.

Over the knee boots have served me well the past few years - last winter I splash out on a Stuart Weitzman pair so they will almost certainly go out of fashion!

Cashmere sweaters - my favourites are Uniqlo.

NatalieRushman Wed 08-Jun-16 22:37:35

Leather jacket
Well fitted waterproof parka with a hood
Warm, stylish wool jacket
Black opaque tights
Leather ankle boots - I always have at least one black and one tan

DailyMailResearcher Wed 08-Jun-16 23:30:59

Marking place to ogle biker jackets later!

CaptainWarbeck Thu 09-Jun-16 07:24:16

Good thread, especially since it's winter where I am now!

Chelsea boots are very versatile (and waterproof). I've also got a lot of wear out of a massive gorgeously soft scarf which is great for freezing mornings. Spent a bit on it but have worn it loads.

Skinnies, cosy long sleeved slouchy jumpers/tops.

A decent leather jacket is my holy grail 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now