simple knee-length throw-it-on dress for holidays

(75 Posts)
lurkingfromhome Tue 07-Jun-16 11:17:06

That's what I'm after. Going to hot country for lying around the pool villa type holiday. 90% of holiday wardrobe will be shorts, t-shirts, short skirts, swimwear etc.

I feel the one item missing is a simple dress for those occasions where I might need to scrub up very slightly. No sweaty polyester, nothing strappy, nothing that will accentuate my middle age spread. Don't want to spend loads of money on it as it's purely for a week's holiday in the sun and will no doubt get suncream on it. Does such an item exist or should I just take a nice top and wear with denim skirt for such occasions? I quite like the thought of flinging on a little frock, though ...

ThomasHardyPerennial Tue 07-Jun-16 11:27:18

George at Asda have some lovely shift dresses in at the moment - floral, stripes, and also crochet trim details. Might be worth a look!

louloubelle2 Tue 07-Jun-16 12:02:18

There are tons of jersey and cotton dresses in Gap at the moment, and nearly always a 30-40% off voucher posted every week if you sign up for emails.

lurkingfromhome Tue 07-Jun-16 12:06:17

Excellent ideas, and I hadn't looked in either place. Thank you! Off now to peruse ...

IsItGinTimeYet Tue 07-Jun-16 12:32:47

Dorothy perkins v back midi dress. The v back is very shallow and they come in striped, navy and black.

margaritasbythesea Tue 07-Jun-16 13:17:45

I have ordered this in the hope it will be just the thing. I also tried a dark blue cheesecloth one with a decent short sleeve on in Dorothy Perkins yesterday. I can't find it online. It was nice but had a square neck which doesn't suit me.

Lambzig Tue 07-Jun-16 13:23:31

Might not be your taste, but I just got this as my throw on over bikini to go to lunch dress and it arrived today. Just over £20 using the code. Lovely soft floaty cotton, feels like it will be really cool. I sized down.

www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-324519156.aspx?docid=746615

burnishedsilver Tue 07-Jun-16 15:20:22

Boden have a few contenders.

dragonsarebest Tue 07-Jun-16 16:05:02

This is a touch above knee length on me - I have it in khaki and it's really versatile (suitable for beach, work, with flip flops, tights, jumper over etc etc). Thinking of getting the dark blue version too, and the stripey one is lovely if you like stripes. Loads more colours in store than seem to be online too. I am a 12 and have the M.

lurkingfromhome Tue 07-Jun-16 16:34:10

At this rate I am going to buy a dozen dresses. So many brilliant ideas here, thanks all. I am browsing like mad.

KondoAttitude Tue 07-Jun-16 17:02:24

dragonsarebest would you have time to measure the exact length of the dress you linked to? V grateful if so as length isn't specified on the H&M website.

Oldraver Tue 07-Jun-16 17:14:55

I bought a linen shift dress in Asda the other day..

Asda Shift dress...same style as this but in a cream pattern. They also had two plain colours. It isnt lined but is substantial enough. Sainsburys also have some lined ones

Kr1stina Tue 07-Jun-16 17:16:46

I have this , which is knee length on me in the tall ( I'm 5'5") . £18, comes in lots of colours, covers bra straps .

www.next.co.uk/g572080s3#446510

I couldn't possibly wear a denim skirt in a seriously hot country

nancy75 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:23:44

Boden casual jersey dress, they do it every year. I have it in about 8 colours! It fits well, covers your shoulders and washes really well

Diamogs Tue 07-Jun-16 17:33:06

This looks like the annual "school run dress" thread under another name wink

Ohtobeskiing Tue 07-Jun-16 17:35:35

Another vote for Boden casual jersey dress, I have three in different colours. I also have a couple of jersey dresses from White Stuff which are good for the same reason.

missmartha01 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:39:38

Joules have some nice, easy to wear t shirt dresses. Lovely fabric, hang well and not expensive.

Thecazelets Tue 07-Jun-16 17:47:08

I have the Boden casual jersey dress in lots of colours too. The patterned ones tend to stay smarter for longer but the plain black one is really versatile and can be dressed up or down with sandals/heels etc.

dragonsarebest Tue 07-Jun-16 18:06:30

Kondo it's 35 and a half inches centre back. It's Hennes though so I can't guarantee that every Medium will be the same length!

Cheapthrills Tue 07-Jun-16 18:16:47

Oasis have some lovely casual summer dresses.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 07-Jun-16 18:17:27

I saw the H&M one in store a few weeks back (but only in dark colours-navy, grey) I loved the fact it had pockets .

I looked at the George@Asda crochet back maxi but the colours/patterns instore weren't nice. Online looks a better better or one of the Asda Home stores.

I have a Uniqlo (4% elastance 96% viscose) knee length short sleeved with a scoop neck . Nice weight , washes well. smile

lurkingfromhome Tue 07-Jun-16 18:20:49

Loving the ideas. Have had to abandon some of the more T-shirty ones, lovely as they are, as I might be a size 12 but every bit of fat on my body sits around my middle so that Next one would make me look preggers.

So far the Boden jersey one is coming out on top. Might have to change my mind about buying something dirt cheap and getting it covered in sun cream as I can see that dress getting loads of wear even in this country.

Mind you have also seen some nice ones in Gap, DP, etc. Bloody hell, decisions, decisions.

dragonsarebest Tue 07-Jun-16 18:27:57

70isalimit YY - the pockets are a definite plus point!

JimmyGreavesMoustache Tue 07-Jun-16 18:32:43

this is lots better in the flesh, and fifteen quid. washes well (suncream came off nicely), and creases fall out easily.

nancy75 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:32:48

I wear the boden dress here to work just with a little Cardi & sandals, I do wonder if people have noticed that I wear pretty much the same dress every day all summer just in different colours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now