Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sebaceous filaments/large pores

(20 Posts)
Maplessglobe Tue 07-Jun-16 08:45:52

Hello
Just wondered if anyone has had any success with reducing the appearance of these?
I've tried various things on people's recommendations including Cosrx bha, LRP salicylic toner, triacnéal and the method posted on 50 shades of snail.
I know it's been done to death but it's been about a year of experimenting for several months at a time with no improvement. Very happy with the rest of my skin!
TIA.

Tate15 Tue 07-Jun-16 11:01:13

Panoxyl

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Tue 07-Jun-16 11:30:50

Apols for hijacking thread but DH has six largish black dots on top of his nose, they look like blackheads that the skin has healed over. Are these Sebaceous filaments? They can't be squeezed out so no idea how to get rid.

botemp Tue 07-Jun-16 13:05:47

Have you tried Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid? I switched to CosRx thinking it was cheaper but it was absolute pants in comparison, I don't have to use PC much (every 3 days or so) and it keeps everything nice and clear with the odd weekly clay mask thrown in now and then when I remember. I love the 50 shades of snail technique but only need to use it very sparingly, if at all these days, whereas when I was using CosRx I needed to do it every fortnight to keep it all clear.

kitchenunit Tue 07-Jun-16 13:14:40

Reading with fascination.

What's a BHA liquid please?

botemp Tue 07-Jun-16 13:35:31

BHA is an acid exfoliator that penetrates a little deeper in the skin (as opposed to AHA acids) to unclog pores, it also helps with diminishing redness, fine lines, and shrinking enlarged pores. You use it after cleansing (apply with cotton pad or bare hands) on areas where needed and leave it for 10-20 minutes before proceeding with the rest of your skincare routine. If you've never used it before build it up slowly from 1x a week to every (other) day dependant on need and you must use a sunscreen with it to avoid damaging skin.

Here's the link for the PC's BHA liquid. I usually buy the miniature format since I don't use much of it (nose and chin only).

kitchenunit Tue 07-Jun-16 13:44:18

Thank you. I'm reading 50 Shades and finding it a fascinating blog.

I have the nip and fab glycolic day and night pads. Would it be reasonable to use these after cleansing each day, with the BHA every few days?

Would this help my SFs?

Thanks so much, sorry for the hijack!

botemp Tue 07-Jun-16 14:03:02

Provided you introduce it slowly there is no issue using both an AHA (glycolic) and BHA, some even use them at the same time. Do be aware that some acids can cause a brief period of purging but if it persists for longer periods of time stop using it. BHA is the one you'd want for SF, start with the 50 shades technique for a good clear out and then maintain with the BHA.

XiCi Tue 07-Jun-16 15:14:48

That's interesting botemp because I thought the Paulas choice was pants compared to Cosrx and have swapped back. Just shows how different everyones skin is!

XiCi Tue 07-Jun-16 16:06:54

I too have a clay mask once a week to keep my skin clear. Mine needs that as well as the BHA.
Kitchenunit if you want to use BHA and AHA you can use these together on top of each other, BHA first. I do this daily and have never had any irritation. Some people say to have a wait time of 10 minutes in between the two, others (Paulas choice is one of these) say no wait time is necessary.

Lonelynessie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:12:25

I'm looking at the Paula's choice one and wondering if it would be ok to use on my skin as I have some small (very small) colouration patches on my cheek (left over from pregnancy I think).

I don't want to get anything that will make them worse, but my pores are horrible so really need something.

Do you think it might even get rid of the colouration to 'even' out my skin tone? I am olive toned.

kitchenunit Tue 07-Jun-16 17:50:12

The 50 Shades blogger recommends this A Sol for redness. Might be worth a look.

I've just showered and used by AHA cleansing pads and Retinol cream, and my skin feels very clean. Could do with another clay ask but no time tonight... My skin does seem to take a lot of jip quite well so I've ordered the BHA and will look forward to trying that out....

Maplessglobe Tue 07-Jun-16 18:21:31

Ooh lots of replies- thank you.
So, should I try the PC bha?
I used to use panoxyl years ago when I suddenly got very spotty for a few months with no apparent trigger- it sorted me out and I switched to effaclar to 'maintain'. I can't recall now whether the SFs looked better then. But also its no longer over the counter is it? Where do you get it?

botemp Tue 07-Jun-16 18:25:59

Lonelynessie did you get pregnancy mask/melasma? If so BHA won't help you out much (but won't make it worse provided you use an SPF), look into Vitamin C (minimum 10%) & Niacinamide for evening out skin tone (melasma related or not) and you'll need to be diligent with SPF regardless but I'd consider seeking out a dermatologist in the case of melasma as it's not the easiest thing to deal with on your own.

google panoxyl and a load of online suppliers come up.I just bought some.

Lonelynessie Wed 08-Jun-16 09:43:16

Thanks, botemp, yes it did come up during pregnancy, but my youngest is now 5 and it has faded only slightly. It's really only a small patch and can get covered when I use foundation (but I don't like to wear foundation that often).

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll try them out.

Maplessglobe Wed 08-Jun-16 13:57:07

Thanks, step - I didn't realise it was reintroduced to the market. Has anyone else had good results with SF with panoxyl?

Maplessglobe Fri 10-Jun-16 19:57:18

Bump

Tate15 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:01:12

Yes! Me!

I have bulk bought as it has been discontinued again!

www.weldricks.co.uk/search?q=Panoxyl&filters=%2Fsearch%2Fnon-presc

Fast delivery and paid via PayPal.

Maplessglobe Fri 10-Jun-16 20:08:36

Thanks, tate- the link is super helpful. I'll give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now