Talk

Advanced search

90s "bodysuits"; or "bodies" are back!

(132 Posts)
Dozer Mon 06-Jun-16 16:27:34

They look to be in lots of the shops aimed at youngsters.

Memories of youthful fumblings!

They were so bad for VPL and fanjo health, and yet strangely comfy.

I had one, a tight black V-neck with pearly buttons, I loved so much I wore it until the lycra went side seams split.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 06-Jun-16 18:24:43

My favourite one was a floral print, much like the chintzy sofas that were also popular at the time grin I ised to wear it with a chiffon blouse over the top, also floral.

I did see some nice ones in New Look at the weekend, they had a drapey crossover top.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 06-Jun-16 18:25:15

Just to add, I didn't buy one because they seem like a recipe for thrush nowadays!

oldlaundbooth Mon 06-Jun-16 18:32:46

God help us all.

Anyone remember that Ab Fab episode where Edie is wearing one?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 06-Jun-16 18:40:54

I think so - does she do it up over the top of her trousers?! grin

SlinkyVagabond Mon 06-Jun-16 18:44:46

No it was flapping over the back loose. I took great joy in showing Dd that episode.
If you are tempted, don't buy from Boohoo-who the feck doesn't put poppers on the crutch?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 06-Jun-16 18:47:01

I had a black lace one when I was 15 in 1993 I loved it so much.

freshprincess Mon 06-Jun-16 18:49:27

Lots of memories of drunk me trying to refasten my poppers in nightclub toilets. You would know it was time for a taxi when you'd get to the 'ah sod it, I'll just leave it undone' stage.

I think I'll pass on this trend.

mamaduckbone Mon 06-Jun-16 18:51:00

I had a black one that I loved - used to wear it with cut off jeans - oh to have the waistline to do that nowadays.
This has reminded me of my school friend who wore one under her wedding dress. Unfortunately the poppers popped at some point during the ceremony so she made her vows with her fanjo flapping in the breeze! grin

FurryDogMother Mon 06-Jun-16 18:52:27

I didn't think they'd ever really gone away - I have a few. I find them useful for holding my knickers up when wearing a skirt and no tights smile

AuldYow Mon 06-Jun-16 18:53:46

Ahhh the memories of trying to fasten them whilst merrily pissed on 20/20 grin

Longdistance Mon 06-Jun-16 18:53:57

I had various colours of bodies c.1993. Used to love them, but I'm about 3 stone heavier than I was back then 😳

ManicPixieDream Mon 06-Jun-16 18:56:53

Where do Boohoo put the poppers if not on the crotch? Have been thinking of getting one from there, I like the idea of staying neatly tucked in.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 06-Jun-16 18:58:14

Oh god. There was a thing among my friends that you weren't supposed to wear a bra under them. Madness.

howtorebuild Mon 06-Jun-16 19:00:18

I had named black chiffon blouse to wear over mine. I owned several. shock

P1nkP0ppy Mon 06-Jun-16 19:01:26

<groan> they used to ping up when you unpoppered them and it would take major contortions to wrestle the back and front pieces together again.
I had one with hooks and eyes.....hideously difficult to re fasten 😳

Nannawifeofbaldr Mon 06-Jun-16 19:04:06

grin so many funny memories of these from my teenage years.

Most of which it is not appropriate to repeat here, but it did give me a chuckle to see them back in the shops.

Longdistance Mon 06-Jun-16 19:06:35

Well, I do hope boohoo doesn't use Velcro on theirs, that could be a hairy moment.

JedRambosteen Mon 06-Jun-16 19:10:22

I had an all-in-one lingerie bodysuit with integrated bra. I had a spectacular gusset popper fail at work one day. I managed to shuffle to the receptionist's desk, beg for her emergency sewing kit to "repair my bra strap" and shuffle back to the loo to do some emergency sewing, which also involved almost entirely undressing in the cubicle to get at the gusset poppers. I loved the smooth lines of the 'outwear' ones (back in the days when I didn't have middle-aged spread), but they are a "high stakes" form of attire if they fail on you.

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 19:13:04

Chiffon blouses and body suits were the uniform of early 90s loved mine i had loads i think they come back every other years though

Dozer Mon 06-Jun-16 19:18:19

shockgrin

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 06-Jun-16 19:21:48

I have a few, gained across the last year or so. They either have poppers or velcro at the crotch.

My problem with them is that they don't seem to have flattering necklines. Either v. Low cut, which makes them evening wear only (and even then, they're quite risqué) or high necked, but skin tight, which isn't flattering... I look like I'll topple over sad

fastdaytears Mon 06-Jun-16 19:23:29

I still love them blush

Oldraver Mon 06-Jun-16 19:32:58

I saw one on a website (think it may of been Primark) and did a shock face that they were back...for those that wont remember thsm first time round.

Anyway...ahem... surely after a few drinks you just thought fuck it and didnt bother with the poppers and pulled it to one side ?

Dozer Mon 06-Jun-16 20:08:13

Classy!

Had totally forgotten the perils of drinking while wearing them.

And all the various styles. Had a slim, chic friend who even looked great in the high neck ones and was envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now