Talk

Advanced search

Make up in hand luggage - what's restricted?

(24 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Mon 06-Jun-16 11:44:36

I'm confused about what is restricted and what isn't in terms of make up when flying... is my blusher/eyeshadow part of the restrictions or is it just 'wet stuff'?

RoganJosh Mon 06-Jun-16 11:46:17

Just wet stuff, needs to be less than 100ml and in a separate clear bag. Lipsticks count as wet. You can only have a total of 1l I think.
Your airport should give a full explanation on their website.

Sparkletastic Mon 06-Jun-16 11:46:19

Lipgloss, lipstick, foundation, mascara - basically anything wet - needs to go in clear plastic bag and be below max ml allowed.

simonettavespucci Mon 06-Jun-16 11:46:23

Just wet stuff. I think lipstick etc are a bit debatable - I put them in the plastic bag when I remember, but I've forgotten a few times and it's never been picked up.

AuntieMaggie Mon 06-Jun-16 12:19:49

Thank you. I think I'll be able to manage without foundation but some blusher/bronzer and eyeshadow would be nice to take.

dragonsarebest Mon 06-Jun-16 13:47:47

Lipstick doesn't class as liquid - I wasn't sure about this either but was told at both Heathrow and Gatwick that if something holds its shape (like a lipstick bullet or stick deodorant) then it obviously isn't liquid. Lipgloss is, and those lip liquid/gels that you paint on are though. I fly quite often and never had an issue.

Diddlydokey Mon 06-Jun-16 13:50:22

You can take foundation on, it just has to go in a clear bag. Most are only 30ml or so and can be taken in your hand luggage. I once got pulled up for an eyeliner, not a liquid one. I'm fairly sure I did this hmm

RoganJosh Mon 06-Jun-16 13:50:51

Foundation is probably ok though, 100ml is pretty big for foundation.

ReginaTheVelociraptor Mon 06-Jun-16 13:52:27

Most foundations are around 30ml so you should be fine. I was told by Heathrow that it doesn't include lipsticks either - just liquid lipsticks and lipgloss.

Buggers Mon 06-Jun-16 13:53:46

Sorry to hop on the thread but I'm going away next week too, would a normal average sized mascara be ok to take through?

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:54:13

LIQUIDS OVER 100ML.

AuntieMaggie Mon 06-Jun-16 13:54:49

I was going to leave the foundation to make room for something else but might take a sample pot size or something as it's only 5 days

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:55:57

Lipstick isn't a liquid..

"Can I take lipstick in my hand luggage?
You can take solid cosmetics, such as standard lipsticks or stick deodorants, in your hand baggage. Liquid, aerosol or gel cosmetics, including atomisers, creams, roll-on deodorants, sprays and gels are subject to the standard liquid rules."

dragonsarebest Mon 06-Jun-16 13:56:11

Mascara needs to go in your liquids bag Buggers.

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:57:29

buggers

Yes you can take that but it will have to go in the plastic bag.

dragonsarebest Mon 06-Jun-16 13:58:09

OP decanting into sample pots is great, also the samples you get with magazines are great space savers.

RoganJosh Mon 06-Jun-16 14:17:50

Ah that's right, lipsticks and lip balm are solid. They weren't at the start of these regulations.
Lip gloss and blisteez in a tube are liquids though.

drspouse Mon 06-Jun-16 14:20:58

The jobsworth at Manchester Airport a few weeks ago told me that solid deodorant had to go in my clear bag because it was "liquid at room temperature".

Strange how it was sitting there, in my hand luggage, at room temperature, solid.

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:24:50

drspouse - Oh god! Thick and mince are the two words that come to mind.

Buggers Mon 06-Jun-16 14:29:33

Brilliant thank you!

specialsubject Mon 06-Jun-16 14:30:55

Liquids, gels and pastes are restricted. So the 'jobsworth' whose job it is to reduce your risk of being blown into small bleeding fragments is right, even if his science is wobbly.

drspouse Mon 06-Jun-16 14:33:22

Precisely. About 5 people were waiting to have their luggage re-scanned for inhalers (a powder) as well.

drspouse Mon 06-Jun-16 14:34:07

Liquids, gels and pastes are restricted.
Yes, but not solids, and solid deodorants are SPECIFICALLY excluded.

bojorojo Mon 06-Jun-16 15:01:02

Take larger than 100 ml in hold luggage or buy small or solid. Put everything into a plastic bag. I empty out my make up bag and put it in a plastic bag at home to save time at the airport. Never had a problem but I virtually never travel with just carry on luggage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now