Cardigans - Elbow or 3/4 sleeves not see through

(18 Posts)
Whyarethebestnamestaken Sat 04-Jun-16 22:04:39

I like to wear sleeves at least to elbow as arms are really flabby (loose skin) and was noticing that I see a lot of ladies wearing t shirts or tops with a cardigan but am having trouble finding a nice elbow or 3/4 sleeve one.

I had not thought of a cardigan before as they seem very old fashioned (I am 63) but notice lots of younger girls wearing them and they look nice.

I am not sure whether it would look best round neck or v neck and buttons done up or not? Any links to any that wash well etc. would be appreciated.

Also to me it looks odd when the top is longer and hanging below a cardigan or am I just hopelessly out of date there too?

Whyarethebestnamestaken Sun 05-Jun-16 13:28:55

anyone?

OverAndAbove Sun 05-Jun-16 13:42:25

The Boden Fifties style one is good and not too thin; it does show the bottom of your top though (unlike you've tucked it into a high waist skirt obviously) I wear mine loads

riskyinred Sun 05-Jun-16 17:03:20

I find the Boden fifties ones stop at an awkward place on my arm and make it look even huger than it is. The 'favourite cropped' one from Boden is excellent though - have it in a few colours. Great 3/4 sleeve and washes well.

Oldraver Sun 05-Jun-16 18:44:54

I saw some nice ones in Primark...most were plain but there were a couple of patterned ones, cotton as well

Sainsburys also have these

coppergrey Sun 05-Jun-16 18:47:11

I love Boden cardigans! I have a few different fits for different occasions and they're all great.

I also have a few from Cos which are similarly lovely but long-sleeved rather than 3/4.

NicknameUsed Sun 05-Jun-16 18:48:56

"but am having trouble finding a nice elbow or 3/4 sleeve one."

Because they are pointless. I wear a cardigan to keep warm, therefore I want one with full length sleeves

KanyesVest Sun 05-Jun-16 18:51:56

Red herring at debenhams have nice cardis with shorter sleeves. Nice colours and wash well.

Whyarethebestnamestaken Tue 07-Jun-16 10:03:54

Thank you for the replies, the Boden fifties one looks nice but is a tiny bit short I think although the favourite cropped looks to be just about right although a bit pricy.

Primark sounds good but not really one close to me but I should maybe make the effort and go and look.

The Sainsburys one although very nice is a bit short in the sleeve for me, it is not for warmth but for flabbiness coverage unfortunately.

Deianira Tue 07-Jun-16 10:11:18

I have last year's equivalent of the 'Ally' cardigan from Fatface in two colours and love it - I wasn't sold when looking online, but tried some in the shop and discovered it was a great shape for a summer cardigan, and works for wearing over tops or dresses equally well. Cardigans: www.fatface.com/knits/cardigans/icat/womenscardigans but can't directly link to the correct one I am afraid!

SparklySandals Tue 07-Jun-16 10:33:17

I wear an elbow length cardigan pretty much every day! They are very versatile. I'm only 31 and have always worn them so don't think of them as old-fashioned. I always end up pushing the sleeves up to elbow length regardless.

It is difficult to get cardigans that are long enough to cover your whole back down to your waist and not show the top underneath. This is particularly the case at this time of year as summer stock seems to be mostly cropped. I'm not a fan of short cardigans so I'm always on the lookout for waist/hip length.

Primark cardis look nice at first and are very cheap but they do not wash well in my experience. They shrink and end up half-way up my back after a few washes, even on cool/wool wash, drying flat etc.

The red herring ones at Debenhams are my staple, I have masses of them in different colours and they wash well. I have one that is about ten years old and I still wear it all the time. It's a bit faded but the shape and material is good.

Others to look at are Dickins and Jones from House of Fraser, I have some of them and they are nice, in fact H of F have such a great selection of different brands and such regular sales that they are worth a browse. I have some from Oasis and Warehouse and a few other brands bought from H of F which have also lasted well.

SparklySandals Tue 07-Jun-16 10:36:15

Also I should say I always wear mine unbuttoned and have quite a few that don't have buttons at all. Buttoned up can look fab with the right outfit and on the right person but its a bit retro for me! It also means there is more leeway on the sizing.

ThomasHardyPerennial Tue 07-Jun-16 10:45:38

Another vote for Red Herring at Debenhams, they are very reasonably priced and good quality. I think the sizing is quite big, so always size down.

Whyarethebestnamestaken Tue 07-Jun-16 12:10:50

Quite a few votes here for Red Herring and I have had a look and they look perfect and at a reasonable price too. Some of the reviews say size up and some say size down.

I think I prefer the V neck and it would open up a whole world of wearing sleeveless tops and just pop a cardi on top.

Thank you and I just need to get over the top showing beneath the cardi although in that case it may just look better with longer top and cropped cardi.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Tue 07-Jun-16 12:13:14

Have a look at Landsend's supima cotton cardis. A few different styles and they're fine and light, but a nice tight knit so not see through.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Tue 07-Jun-16 12:16:00

I have this one, though they only seem to have bigger sizes
www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_3-Quarter_Sleeve_Supima_Cotton_Cardigan/pp/P_25795.html?cgid=5846&brand=2

pottymummy Tue 07-Jun-16 12:24:51

Have a look in M&Co. There are cardis on sale there at the mo.

IsItGinTimeYet Tue 07-Jun-16 12:29:54

Zara have hip length 3/4 sleeve cardigans in. They had black, cream, green, grey, navy and nude/pale pink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now