Talk

Advanced search

Fake tan for idiots please (I've had a go and I look like a zebra)

(8 Posts)
startingtolooklikemother Sat 04-Jun-16 10:27:14

Aggggghhhhhhh. I can't afford a spray tan for upcoming holiday. So off I go to Boots to buy some fake tan. Now I'm a bit cack handed so I went for a gradual tanner (garner, buy one, get one free bargain) anyway I get home, have a shower, do all of that exfoliation malarkey like you supposed to. Rub in the old magic potion, stand around a bit waiting for it to dry, spend all day whiffing a bit of the "Summer Scent" and this morning I've got legs like a zebra. No, not long and graceful, but patchy zebra. Help, are there any genuinely easy fake tans for kegs or should I just cough up and get a spray?

burnishedsilver Sat 04-Jun-16 11:00:22

I'm no expert but I thought you were supposed to exfoliate and moisturise the day before you start tanning. If you exfoliated straight before applying the tan your skin was probably dry and kind of distressed.

wecantallbeperfect Sat 04-Jun-16 11:42:45

The Bondi Sands gradual tanner is excellent. I usually go over with a cheap double sided mitt (Bodycare) after I've finished. I'm very pale but this looks natural and survives the swimming pool (regular swimmer) smile

MrPony Sat 04-Jun-16 11:46:40

Vi agree with silver. I usually give a day for my skin to chill. The garnier one has always worked well for me, I'm pale and look weird very tanned but it gives a nice glow.

startingtolooklikemother Sat 04-Jun-16 13:31:10

Ah! Didn't realise I should of done the exfoliating and then moisturise and THEN go for the fake tan tastic the next day. I think with hindsight I should of just been spray tanned, I've done it again this morning so god only knows what state I'm going to look like later hmm

jillyarmeen16 Sat 04-Jun-16 14:06:01

I got skinny tan mousse last week and it's great. Went abit patchy round the ankles first time but reapplied a few days later and it evened out, I'm fair and it looks natural not orange at all.

TheFuckersBitingMe Sat 04-Jun-16 14:06:41

Moisturise every day once the tan is on, and exfoliate with those scruffy gloves you get in Boots. Once you've applied the tan pop some extra moisturiser or vaseline on ankles and knees to stop that awful patchy look.

And use latex gloves to apply; you can get a box of 40 for a couple of pounds in a supermarket and they're much better than tanning mitts.

St Tropez does a tanning oil that's lovely, and Clarins do drops which you mix with moisturiser that give a good glow. For a full-on tan, though, Bondi Sands is fabulous and never streaks.

neverAdullmoment79 Sat 04-Jun-16 14:22:03

A tanning mit actually gives better coverage. St Tropez is the best imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now