Talk

Advanced search

Help me de-hag-ify myself please

(17 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 08:46:34

I had a bad day yesterday. An hour with a physio in my underwear in front of a full length mirror. It was a bit like that scene from Game of Thrones where Mallisandre took off the necklace.

I am slim, but my skin was saggy and celullitey with skin tags and moles, and my bum has disappeared. I am 48 so I know I can't expect the bod of 20year old, but is there anything I can do to tone everything up a bit more? Maybe get rid of the skin tags?

Phsyio has said I could do Nordic walking, but as I have a shoulder problem, no swimming.

Any help or advice?

Thanks smile

AddToBasket Sat 04-Jun-16 08:50:24

Get rid of skin tags.

Hula hooping is great for posture and tone round the bum - would you be OK to do that?

StrawberrytallCake Sat 04-Jun-16 08:50:35

Can you get to a Pilates class? The instructors I've had always take into consideration any injuries and adapt exercises that might aggravate those. It's a fantastic way to tone up!

Squats are good for your bum, 3 x sets of 10 a day might help to start.

StrawberrytallCake Sat 04-Jun-16 08:51:31

I need to get rid of a huge skin tag under my arm too so watching how to deal with that!

SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 08:53:30

Hulahooping - great idea!
How do you get rid of skin tags by the way?
Pilates too - very good idea too - does it really tone you?
I feel better already, thanks Strawberry and Add

Patterkiller Sat 04-Jun-16 09:08:59

Pilates will be good for your shoulder as well. But go to a good instructor. I have been doing Pilates for years with a fab instructor then decided to try a more local class, it was a a generic set hour and very poorly taught Infact I really hurt myself and took weeks to recover. And I'm no newby.

TheNotoriousPMT Sat 04-Jun-16 09:16:19

Some kind of weight/resistance training. Don't worry, you won't get bulky, but you will get your arse back.
Any instructor at a gym should be able to write you a program. At my gym (£25 a month for unlimited use of gym/spa/pool) it's a free service.

When choosing a gym - don't just throw money at it. Visit a couple first - there's usually a 'first week free no obligation' thing. I use my local authority-run gym, it has clientele of all ages, and feels much more inclusive than the higher-end place that's chocka with pro athletes. Also, it is literally 1/10 of the price.

Cheapthrills Sat 04-Jun-16 09:20:13

I had skin tags removed on the nhs by my GP a few weeks ago in a minor op half hour surgery he runs once a week. I just said I didn't like them and he lopped them off. As for the sagging and bagging I am exactly the same and don't know if a lot can be done if you are not overweight.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 04-Jun-16 09:23:24

Get a decent fake tan on. If you can't tone it, tan it.
Can you turn up to the next physio session in some sort of lycra outfit that does not have to be removed?
An hour in your underwear in front of a full length mirror in bright lighting sounds pyschologically damaging.

Acornantics Sat 04-Jun-16 09:29:41

My trick for feeling better is to lock myself in the bathroom for an hour, go over all skin with a body brush or scrub in the shower, pluck eyebrows, moisturise and use a gradual tan, paint toe nails, shave legs and pits, conditioning treatment on hair and do a proper blow dry. I feel a million times better after that!

Try a body pump class for toning the legs and bum, be sure to tell the instructor about any injuries and they can help you adapt the exercise to suit you. Pilates also a great idea.

StrawberrytallCake Sat 04-Jun-16 09:34:16

Body pump is really really tough for a beginner in the gym. I've been going for a year and still can't do it - my shoulders are weak and it's quite shoulder intensive so would check before you consider that.

Good to know about gp, I'll ask mine.

SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 10:44:02

I had done all of those things aroma but was sat on the bed and that's not a good look for the spare tyre!
Also am really pale so fake tan looks terrible on me.
I will definitely look into Pilates and also an aerobics class when my shoulder has been fixed. I guess because I am slim I thought I was ok, but it all came as a terrible shock <sob>

SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 10:44:53

Sorry not Aroma Acorn - getting on a bit, eyes not quite what they were!

nonamenopackdrill Sat 04-Jun-16 10:48:32

I also had my skin tags removed by my GP on the NHS.

As for the rest, I try and avoid mirrors. (Especially the full length ones.)

I know that keeping my hair decent helps with how I look, but I hate having to sit in the hairdressers for an hour staring at myself in the mirror.

orangina Sat 04-Jun-16 10:54:10

Aqua aerobics (especially Aqua run) is just brilliant for toning up... and should be fine for your shoulder (thinking about the classes I have been to in the past). I would join a gym for aqua classes alone if the timing etc worked out..... great cardio workout, low impact on knees and hips too (which is why the classes I used to go to were full of elderly ladies... I thought I had arrived at the wrong class to start with, as a 40yo, I was the youngest by decades, but it was still a great work out).

Otherwise, avoid full length mirrors and over head (and fluorescent) lighting.... smile

SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 11:01:17

Aqua aerobics is a great idea oragina I'd like to feel the youngest in a group again!

orangina Sat 04-Jun-16 16:09:48

It is a good feeling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now