Summer clothes. Tbh what's the point? It's June already

(56 Posts)
JackandDiane Sat 04-Jun-16 07:46:45

That leaves say 12 weeks you might wear them. Every year I fall for this.

Artandco Sat 04-Jun-16 07:52:51

My summer clothes are basically clothes I would wear all year.

Summer - shirt and skirt. Winter add vest under shirt, jumper over and tights

Summer - dress. Winter add layers under and over dress and tights

Summer - tshirt and chinos, summer shoes. Winter same but add jumper, and thick socks and boots

BabyGanoush Sat 04-Jun-16 08:00:27

I know OP sad

Hopefully Sat 04-Jun-16 08:35:54

I do what Art does. Apart from two pairs of shorts, two skirts that I wouldn't wear in winter and one lightweight linen biker jacket, everything else can be worn year round.

YaySirNaySir Sat 04-Jun-16 09:13:01

It's pointless. I have about 5 specifically summer things and some pairs of sandals that are pretty new looking after several years of minimum wear.
I'm saving my money until autum.
Our holidays this year are music festivals, Cornwall, London and country cottage so no extra clothes required.

Cheapthrills Sat 04-Jun-16 09:17:01

Too right, I was just thinking the same. I bought a dress for the summer a few months ago and I have worn it once. I am going to get a cheapo pair of gold sandals as the strap on my old ones just broke and that's it! I will live in my skinny jeans as I do the rest of the year but with a t-shirt instead of a jumper. If a miracle happens and there is a heatwave I will dig out my old shorts and sun dresses I have had for years.

ChitChatarunga Sat 04-Jun-16 09:19:29

I'm the same. Same Jeans, same everything/

Summer clothes = leave the cardigan

thecatfromjapan Sat 04-Jun-16 09:25:16

I've bought a bundle of summer things. They're tucked away in the dark cocoon of a drawer, dreaming. I'm shivering. sad

BestIsWest Sat 04-Jun-16 09:26:09

Yep, I gave up buying summer clothes a couple of years ago as I was only wearing them abroad and they were just looking at me from the wardrobe.

I stick to jeans, camisole and shirt. Change the shirt for a cardi in the winter.

Trills Sat 04-Jun-16 09:28:59

There's only really a point if you enjoy wearing specifically summery clothes.

September is often warmer than June.

BeJayKayven Sat 04-Jun-16 09:29:43

So true!
For work, summer means ankle grazers and flat shoes with a linen jacket, not much difference really.

ggirl Sat 04-Jun-16 09:30:44

If I put my summer stuff somewhere inaccessible we'll have a heatwave

annabelcaramel Sat 04-Jun-16 09:31:20

I've bought stuff too; in my mind summer always has the potential to be a 1976-esque heatwave so I need to be prepared. In reality I can't recall a summer even coming close to that, and if it has been warm I've been at work so not worn the summer stuff anyway. 12 weeks is probably optimistic too. Come September all the Autumn stuff is about so I reckon 8 is more likely. Stores should introduce a 'sun or return' policy. If it ps down all summer you get a refund no questions asked.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 04-Jun-16 09:44:28

I'm in Scandinavia and we've had a heatwave for several weeks. I used to live somewhere much warmer and kept many of the clothes and I am amazed that I can wear them here. June is usually freezing though wink

PurpleRibbons Sat 04-Jun-16 09:50:44

I agree. I might roll up my skinny jeans a bit in summer and swap boots for trainers or sandals on a really hot day but that's about it!

JackandDiane Sat 04-Jun-16 10:52:29

Everyone's having a heatwave 😞

ChitChatarunga Sat 04-Jun-16 11:17:45

That's funny AnnabelCaramel. I remember the summer of 1976 too. It seemed to go on for about two years. ALL of our childhood photos are from that one summer!

ChitChatarunga Sat 04-Jun-16 11:18:49

ps, I agree with your no sun, return no quibbles policy! That'd be fantastic.

AdoraKiora Sat 04-Jun-16 11:19:24

I am already looking through my summer booty and thinking about what I can still return.

I fall for it every year, too angry

ChitChatarunga Sat 04-Jun-16 11:22:49

I'm not buying a single thing until the winter stuff comes back in to the shops.......

Floisme Sat 04-Jun-16 11:24:56

I probably won't buy any clothes this summer and I'm always buying clothes.

I don't mind too much as I struggle to find summer clothes that suit me and it means I'll have more to spend in the autumn.

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 04-Jun-16 11:28:43

I find I usually buy summer stuff every other year. Last year's stuff is still pretty new so apart from a new bra for strappy tops, I'll need nothing new.

Help me find a bra that can be worn with strappy tops thread to follow...

I only buy 'summer' stuff if I'm going abroad in the summer. In England, Summer usually just means rolling my skinnies up and wearing them with sandals and a t-shirt, instead of a coat. On the hottest days, I just wear a sleeveless dress - the kind of thing I'd usually wear with a t-shirt under, jacket over, etc.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 04-Jun-16 12:44:12

I bought some lightweight maxi dresses ready for our holiday, I put one on this morning because it's June but have changed into trackie bottoms as I am freezing!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 04-Jun-16 12:44:58

In the UK in the summer (it has been nice on and off) I have a few skirts, tops (Strappy and short sleeved) and nice summer dresses.

I do tend to go abroad though to parents holiday home and another foreign holiday where both have sun (apart from a very unusual cold and wet 2 weeks in July in SW Fran e about 5 years ago when I had to rush out and buy jeans, leggings and a jumper!) and it's too hot to wear jeans and leggings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now