Do you use hand cream and does it do anything?

(15 Posts)
Cheapthrills Fri 03-Jun-16 07:22:28

I have only used hand cream occasionally over the years whereas I have always moisturized my face. Is it worth using and can anyone recommend one that actually does something?

TobleroneBoo Fri 03-Jun-16 07:34:25

Palmers recently released a coconut oil cocoa butter one and I love it! Definitely makes hands soft and smooth

NiteFlights Fri 03-Jun-16 13:22:12

My favourites are:

Palmers
Aveeno - the best, IMO
Body Shop Hemp - more heavy duty
Lidl own brand (Cien)

Plus Badger lemon cuticle balm

All very affordable and I'm sure you will see a difference. Also, exfoliate your hands now and then, with a scrub or wipe your acid toner over them.

1moreglassplease Fri 03-Jun-16 13:48:22

I put some Atrixo on each morning and when I've been gardening, and we have some nice stuff in the ladies at work if I want to top up during the day. They definitely feel soft and I just like the smell too.

TrionicLettuce Fri 03-Jun-16 13:50:42

I use Aveeno Skin Relief all the time as I get very dry hands and it also does a great job of keeping my eczema under control.

Equiem89 Fri 03-Jun-16 13:51:20

I use L'Occitane 20% Shea butter and the Vaseline one in the pink bottle

Floisme Fri 03-Jun-16 14:01:43

Neutrogena
L'Occitane
Lansinoh nipple cream (lanolin)
All make my hands feel softer at the time though to be honest, I'm not convinced they do anything in the long term.

Cheapthrills Fri 03-Jun-16 14:20:31

I am going to use up my gift set ones, soap and glory and the sanctuary.

1moreglassplease Fri 03-Jun-16 15:47:16

I've got the Soup and Glory hand food on my desk and really like it.

Oldisthenewblack Fri 03-Jun-16 16:06:58

I have to use hand cream as my hands are dry as sandpaper. I try to use on with a sunscreen when I'm out, currently a Neutrogena one with SPF25.

Hobbes8 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:08:57

The Burts Bees almond milk one smells nice. It's quite expensive but last ages.

dudsville Fri 03-Jun-16 19:57:22

I have really sensitive skin. Growing up it took years for water not to burn my skin. My face still goes red and I have to moisturise straight away, and it still leaves my hands feeling like tree bark. I apply the thickest hand cream going absolutely every time I get my hands wet. Lightweight hand creams that have a lot of water content leave me no better off than if I'd used nothing. I don't know what you mean by hand creams doing anything but it makes mine feel simply comfortable, therefore I suspect you must have better skin!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 03-Jun-16 20:03:53

I like L'Occitane Shea for heavy duty, L'Occitane Almond or Vernena for light
Body Shop Absinthe for the gorgeous smell
I inherited a jar of Body Shop Body Butter (Satsuma I think) from DD, nice enough but feels greasy.

I saw a photo of my hands, I thought it was my Mothers hands, <<eek>>

Cheapthrills Fri 03-Jun-16 21:25:54

Yes I think my hands have aged. They're not dry but they are veiny (think Madonna.)

thecapitalsunited Fri 03-Jun-16 21:49:37

I use hand cream every time I wash my hands. I generally just buy whatever is on offer - currently using some sort of concentrated Neutrogena stuff. I usually keep a thick hand cream by the sofa to put on in the evening. At the moment I'm using Hand Shit but I quite like Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter from Lush.

Constant moisturisation means my nails are pretty strong and hard. My hands are quite soft and smooth.

The only problem is that my hands are now so accustomed to constant creaming that if I don't moisturise often enough then my hands feel all dry and horrible. I almost wish I hadn't got this addicted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now