Talk

Advanced search

Dying clothes AAAARGH Bloody stitching!!!!

(9 Posts)
BlueFolly Thu 02-Jun-16 22:12:26

Right. I have just ruined YET ANOTHER FUCKING clothes item by dying it and the stitching has remained the same colour. Tried going over it with a Sharpie. Just looked like someone had drawn all over a badly dyed garment.

Bloody hell!

It's actually from Top Shop (you're all imagining me as a teenybopper now aren't you? grin) and I am tempted to take it back to the shop for a refund as the label is not accurate. IT IS NOT 100% COTTON. I probably won't do that. But I am cross.

How can you tell if the cotton used to sew a garment is cotton or not?!!!

Fuzzypeggy Thu 02-Jun-16 22:21:25

I've done the same thing and it's so annoying. I think pretty much no thread used is cotton so I now always assume that stitching will not dye

oliviafrombolivia Thu 02-Jun-16 22:37:07

yep, done the same thing too.. v. annoying.

Floisme Thu 02-Jun-16 22:41:16

Me too wine

I think Fuzzyy's right and it's best to always assume the thread isn't cotton. I only dye a darker shade now so the stitching doesn't show so much.

Actually that's not true - I do that when I remember but I'm always forgetting.

dragonsarebest Thu 02-Jun-16 22:44:30

I think you can tell if you burn a little of the thread, cotton smoulders and synthetic doesn't (or vice versa - I'd google that). As PP have said though, I'd assume it's not cotton bitter experience.

dragonsarebest Thu 02-Jun-16 22:49:57

Ok I just checked - natural fibres burn and leave ash, synthetics melt and leave hard melted blobs.

Aphie Thu 02-Jun-16 22:51:19

Would using a synthetic dye work on cotton I wonder? More work than cotton dye but then the thread would match

BlueFolly Fri 03-Jun-16 00:09:34

Ooh, am going to try burning cotton tomorrow to practice. And will look into synthetic dyes!

BlueFolly Fri 03-Jun-16 00:12:44

You've got to boil stuff for half an hour stirring constantly like a witch?!!! Oh god.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now