Talk

Advanced search

Evening dress panic

(20 Posts)
WhiteHairReally Thu 02-Jun-16 18:24:02

We have to go to a ball ( husband's work. I'll know very few people and be older at 52 than most of the other women there. Can you tell, I'm really looking forward to it?)

I admit to being in denial about the whole shebang. What are women wearing to summer balls this year? I have three 'ball dresses' but two are too wintery, think full length, long sleeves, one navy, one black. The other is shin length, and made for me five years ago. It does not make me feel good and I suspect looks dowdy.

What am I going to wear and where am I going to find it?

I'm 5'8" size 12, large of nork ( cannot go without 'proper support') have perimenapausal blonde hair, Summer/Soft colouring.

And the ball is a week on Saturday. Help.

calzone Thu 02-Jun-16 18:25:53

I would wear the navy dress.
It's freezing here so why buy anything new? You could buy new shoes to cheer yourself up a bit.

Amaye Thu 02-Jun-16 18:42:52

What colours suit summer/soft people? I am not in touch with that!

What about any of these?

www.tkmaxx.com/new-in-womens-clothing/dusty-pink-sequined-evening-gown/invt/15144186

www.tkmaxx.com/dresses/royal-blue-gown/invt/53007775

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/RYNEE-Embellished-maxi-dress-Nude-Pink/p/128690-57-NUDE-PINK

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/ALAYAH-Hanging-Gardens-maxi-dress-Mint/p/125733-37-MINT

ApocalypseSlough Thu 02-Jun-16 18:46:18

Asos has Squillions about £40/50 so you can order a few and send back.

ApocalypseSlough Thu 02-Jun-16 18:56:50

Is this good for summer colouring?

WhiteHairReally Thu 02-Jun-16 22:42:18

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I'm going to have to concentrate on this.

Summers/Softs wear blues/mauve/pinks. No oranges/ Browns, very little yellow. Cool colours for me, blue based. Sadly not many Jewel colours.

WhiteHairReally Thu 02-Jun-16 23:43:00

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Just my sort of thinking, calzone, but it's actually quite warm here ( it could well change though) but navy frock is definitely 'winter' ( and I don't like it very much anymore - another panic buy I'm afraid. I have form!)

I may well send for those TKMaxx frocks Amaye. Thank you. Summer colours tend on the pink blue mauve spectrum, so the pink one is a goer ( although I'm a bit wary of the split in the skirt. My legs are best left well covered!) The Soft description means nothing too 'stand out' colour wise, and I'm always drawn to Jewel colours.... Darn those Clear Winters.

I'm very wary of 'mutton dressed as lamb' and yes, I have read the other current 'I'm 50 what can't I wear' thread, but conversely don't want to be 'mutton dressed as mutton' either.

I think I'm going to have to be ingenious. There will be a lot of expensively dressed women at this do, but I am so resistant to spending £££s on a limited wear frock. Maybe vintage is the way to go, although it can look tired.

Oh hurrumph!

burnishedsilver Fri 03-Jun-16 01:33:52

Roughly what price range are you thinking?

WhiteHairReally Fri 03-Jun-16 07:50:18

I'd love to get a bargain Burnished but I suppose I'd go to £250 for something that would make me feel better about the whole murlarky.

I have evening bags in dulled silver m.coast-stores.com/pws/ForwardRewriteSlug.ice?value=p/felicia-bag/1579841&gclid=COSlu6-gi80CFRUW0wodx78Mug

Plus gold vintage, actually a fine collection of vintage evening clutches, thanks to my grannies and great aunt, plus others.

Shoes - glittery heels, like in the shops now. Nude heels, black, navy .
I'd rather not spend more money on accessories.

If Bombshell did something long I'd be interested, although well out of pocket.

mazarineblue Fri 03-Jun-16 08:44:58

I am in exactly the same boat as you- except my ball is tomorrow, and I only found out about it yesterday! I have your colouring but when wandering round the shops yesterday I thought all the paler/muted dresses looked a bit "prom-y" and washed out. However Monsoon have some lovely deep blue long dresses with a bit of embellishment that don't look so mutton /bridesmaid, have a look! Sadly I'm too short for them smile

herecomesthsun Fri 03-Jun-16 09:07:24

Some trends that appeal to me (same age ) are the self-portrait style laser cut, which looks modern, and metallic. I have bought something cheap off TK Maxx in a similar situation and been pleased. I try to be careful with ruffles and beading.

justaweeone Fri 03-Jun-16 09:17:46

Hi
Have you seen this website Op ?
http://www.chichiclothing.com/dresses/

burnishedsilver Fri 03-Jun-16 13:47:31

Have you considered hiring a dress?

MummaGiles Fri 03-Jun-16 13:54:14

I am your height and am also large of nork - I find phase eight dresses fit me really well. They have some lovely ones in and they tend to span the age ranges - quite classic.

Autumn2014 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:05:58

House of fraser has a good range of evening wear online. I enjoyed browsing for a Christmas ball. Or do you have a john Lewis nearby? They usually stock a range of brand concessions so you can try in on in person.

BowChickaBowWow Fri 03-Jun-16 14:32:02

Are these any good?

Blue Halter
Blue beaded
Silver beaded
Grey beaded
Floral full skirt

GarlicBreadItsTheFuture Fri 03-Jun-16 14:32:21

Does it have to be long? The Bombshell silk dress is lovely Silk Dress

Playduh Fri 03-Jun-16 14:35:00

Hire a dress! These people are great and will send you a few sizes.

Www.chicbychoice.com

Playduh Fri 03-Jun-16 14:40:59

Sorry - wrong link...
https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj1iJPtYvNAhVC9nIKHU8tDc4YABAA&sig=AOD644_0-WoIBEVAYmRg6TwIe5ns7BdV88A&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiRv5Ht_YvNAhXBJ5oKHcIPCk8Q0QwIHA&adurl=

MissHC Fri 03-Jun-16 16:32:45

From Playduh's link:
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/740-floor-length-sleek-gown?sizes=4
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/703-sapphire-blue-gown
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/371-white-and-metallic-gown
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/768-nude-beaded-silk-gown
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/613-golden-embroidered-v-neck-gown
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/416-metallic-pink-gown (love the back on this)
chic-by-choice.com/en/hire-dresses/161-nude-lace-maxi-dress (maybe a bit young?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now