Eyeshadow help!

(15 Posts)
almapudden Thu 02-Jun-16 15:42:31

I've just bought an eyeshadow palette and some brushes for the first time in years. I've watched a load of YouTube tutorials but I can't seem to replicate what they're doing - I'd like a toned down smokey eye (day time rather than night time), but I just end up with what looks like a massive brown smudge on my eyelids 😕

Does anyone have any fail safe tips or tutorials they can recommend? I don't have a primer, which everyone on YouTube seems to use: do I need to invest in one?

MadSprocker Thu 02-Jun-16 18:08:10

Perhaps start with less around your eyes then build up? I like Pinterest for eye make up inspiration as I find stills easier than video tutorials. If you have got a mid brown shadow, take a flat brush and smudge along your top lash line, and half way along the outside of your bottom lash line, from outside to in. This should frame your eyes, I use this daily.

almapudden Thu 02-Jun-16 18:19:39

Thanks, I'll check out Pinterest - I prefer stills too. Not sure how to smudge tbh: all I can do with my brushes is wipe!

Liiinooo Thu 02-Jun-16 18:53:25

I used to try and try with a smoky eye but I always just ended up looking blurry and tired. I think maybe my eyes are too deepset. Or perhaps at 50+ I am just too old for that look. A few months ago I tried using similar shading techniques with much lighter colours -creams, pale golds, lilacs, v pale silvers with just a hint of a deeper shade on the outer corners (and in the crease in the evenings). Much more successful.

DD1 is delighted as I passed my UD Naked palette on to her

MadSprocker Thu 02-Jun-16 18:54:16

Don't put too much powder on your brush. Do the top lash first, as you can get away with more powder on top. Smudge means a soft line rather than hard. Blending is really important. If I am going more full on. I put a light brown over my whole lid, then do the smudgy bit around my eye, then I get either a very dark brown or black powder and a stiff brush and line very close to my top lashes (known as tight lining). Add mascara last of all.

almapudden Thu 02-Jun-16 20:17:48

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try!

FrustratedFrugal Thu 02-Jun-16 21:02:38

My eye shape (deep set) is not great for a smokey eye. I look smudgy and bruised as well. I've had my makeup done professionally and they don't give me a smokey eye either. By trial and error I've learned that pale satin shades on my lids with a dark lashline work best. They make my eyes look bigger and I also look better rested.

The Wayne Goss eye shape video is well worth your time!

almapudden Thu 02-Jun-16 21:50:47

I don't even have deep set eyes though! I'm just not used to wearing much make up and have zero skills when it comes to applying it 😂

RunRabbitRunRabbit Thu 02-Jun-16 22:03:11

You don't need a primer but you do need a smooth non-sticky base or you will get splodgy eyeshadow. I use moisturiser, a tiny bit of foundation then a light dusting of face powder before starting applying the eyeshadow.

You are probably applying too much in one go too.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 03-Jun-16 00:51:05

Try with nude colours to start. I love the Naked 3 palette by Urban Decay and although I have hooded eyes I can get a nice sort of smoky eye.

Could you maybe go to the UD counter if you have one near you and get them to help?

Lidlfix Fri 03-Jun-16 06:17:11

I think maybe you do need a primer. The natural tone of my (haggard) eyelids is quite dark almost purpley in tone and despite having passable skill at applying eyes I can look bruised or knackered with smoky hues. I use UD Eden but have used various cheaper brands in the past. UD have a sample pack of their primers if you explain they should be happy to help.

The primer for me gives a solid lighter base. Then I go with fluffy (technical term) brush vv small amounts and gradually build up. Don't do one full eye then the other- what you do to one you do to both.

I like stills too for trying a new look and preferably with detailed instructions.

Hopefully Fri 03-Jun-16 06:50:07

I find having decent brushes makes a huge amount of difference - cheap eye shadow will go on miles better with a decent brush.

And having an even base - I use a primer if I want my shadow to last aaaaaages, but otherwise just do a base layer of nude eye shadow over the whole lid area, practically up to my brow, so I have a powder there ready to blend darker colours into.

Less is more, and knowing your eye shape (particularly if you have deep set/hooded/tiny/very prominent eyes - I don't think it makes so much difference for narrow or wide set eyes unless they are extreme) will all help too.

KittyKrap Fri 03-Jun-16 06:54:40

Second the decent brushes! And make sure one is a kind of wedge shape, I use that to smudge my eyeliner top and bottom - I also can't go full on smokey due to big old deep set eyes.

almapudden Fri 03-Jun-16 09:18:33

Thanks ladies, I think I'll head to John Lewis and visit the Urban Decay counter!

MadSprocker Fri 03-Jun-16 09:27:40

For my basic eye I use the brush in The Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. I find that the colours are really long lasting, and I tend to use nothing else. And I am terrible for buying too many products my DH will second this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now