What kind of swimwear will make me feel good about myself?

(19 Posts)
LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 13:19:20

I go on holiday in 3 weeks and I look bloody rubbish. I've tried my bikinis on today and I can't take any of them.

I'm a bit overweight, but because I'm very small framed, I look more overweight than I am if that makes sense. My excess weight is mostly around my stomach. I'm pretty much apple shaped - small boobs, no waist.

I'm on a emergency diet, but I doubt I'll manage more than half a stone in 3 weeks. My current bikinis are high waisted and I think they make me look fatter. I think I will feel frumpy in one pieces, but I'm not sure. I'm going shopping next week and would like to go with an idea of what to try so I don't end up crying in the fitting rooms.

Also welcoming magic diet tips, and any other tips that might make me looks or feel better, because I'm feeling pretty low about myself at the moment.

DerelictMyBalls Wed 01-Jun-16 13:34:54

I don't like those high-waisted bikinis either. How are you supposed to get a tanned tum if it's hidden away?

Can you have a spray tan before you go? That always makes me feel more confident about baring all on the beach.

I bet you don't look as rubbish as you think you do.

DianaT1969 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:42:34

A tankini and boyshort bikini briefs perhaps? Less frumpy than a one piece (although I know some people don't get on with tankinis if they ride up). Boyshorts would giive some coverage to the belly too.
Perhaps horizontal stripes on the tankini bust area might balance things out.
For fast toning I swear by power plates. Join a gym that has them or find a power plate centre. Very fast results.
Enjoy the hol! We never look as bad as we think smile

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 13:49:35

The high waist hides my horrible, destroyed by pregnancy stomach but I get a horrible bulge between the top and my waistband.

Good ideas thanks smile Does a spray tan fade evenly? And does it stop you getting a real tan? I've never had one.
I'm currently googling slim fast through my tears. I've left it so late, but I crash dieted for my wedding a few months ago and couldn't face dieting again.
I'm going to do slimming world when I come back.

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 13:50:39

I've never even heard of power plates, I'll look into it!

DerelictMyBalls Wed 01-Jun-16 14:17:14

You can still get a sun tan when you've had a spray tan, yes.

There will be other less-than-perfect people on the beach - no-one is going to be pointing at you!

I have a wobbly post-DC tum as well but the beach is for everyone so I let it all show.

BumbleNova Wed 01-Jun-16 14:28:57

what about a really slinky one piece?

this is very nice:

www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Gathered-Deep-Plunge-Swimsuit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5766919&cid=10118&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=369&gridsize=3

the lines across the middle will accentuate your waist. the plunge will lift the attention up.

seafolly are brilliant, again this pattern should be flattering:

www.asos.com/Seafolly/Seafolly-Kasbah-High-Neck-Swimsuit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5037174&cid=10118&Rf-400=3157&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=17&gridsize=3

I second a spray tan, its a brilliant way to look slimmer very quickly. and honestly OP, no-one else will submit your figure to as much scrutiny as you do or even notice! I hope you have a great holiday.

DerelictMyBalls Wed 01-Jun-16 14:38:56

I saw this 'Wonder Piece' swimsuit recently and would consider buying it but don't like any of the patterns. Might be worth a look if you like florals. Expensive, though...

www.marisota.co.uk/shop/magisculpt-the-wonderpiece/ph458/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3812#colour:Daisy Print,size:

annielostit Wed 01-Jun-16 14:41:59

www.swimwear365.co.uk/web/main/shape_calculator.asp

Have a look here. It helps a bit. I found I'm a triangle and what's best for me.

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 14:46:46

All brilliant suggestions for me to try, thank you. I particularly like the sea folly one.

SilvaCaledonia Wed 01-Jun-16 14:47:41

Bra sized bikinis, and small bottoms, not the giant waistie ones. It's counter intuitive but the smaller bottoms make your bottom look much smaller.

Don't do a one piece, it will look odd on holiday.Plus I think they are really fattening on the stomach.

Don't buy those "slimming" ones- the fat has to go somewhere...

Fake tan is key, and buy some to top up on holiday.

All waxed and pruned, air of confidence and you'll be fine!

Oh, and I always get lashes and brows tinted too to feel better sans makeup.

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 14:50:17

I was thinking I may need bra sized bikinis, as I'm a 30D (but the crappy, low down, balanced on my massive stomach version).
My bum is ok. Maybe I'll just sunbathe on my front all the time grin

DerelictMyBalls Wed 01-Jun-16 14:54:26

I like that Seafolly swimsuit that BumbleNova linked to, but a) it is nearly one hundred knicker and b) You would have terrible tan lines on your chest! shock

SilvaCaledonia Wed 01-Jun-16 14:58:54

Try Brastop, order a few and try on, they have quick delivery and free returns too.

And if you find a style you like buy it in different colours 😊

It won't seem so bad when you are away, there will be loads of people much bigger than you.

BumbleNova Wed 01-Jun-16 15:03:01

Seafolly swimsuits last pretty well, not cheap though I agree.

its a tie halter neck so you could always undo it if you are worried about tan lines.

I personally think a one piece can look extremely chic. I think you need a wide brimmed hat and a great kaftan to waft around in. perfect.

Mrsmaudwatts Wed 01-Jun-16 17:34:46

I have this and its really flattering. I liked it so much I bought all 3 designs

www.mandco.com/blurred-rose-print-frill-tankini-top-fuchsia/2912201.html?cgid=10028670030&dwvar_2912201_color=0134#start=1

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 18:28:15

I kind of want to post a picture of my body for more advice but I can't bring myself to!

specialsubject Wed 01-Jun-16 18:54:21

You've proved that crash dieting always fails, dont do it again.

Also don't use sugar shakes, another crash diet. They change celebs regularly , ever wondered why?

Get boardies and a bikini top, suits everyone, and get swimming on holiday .please don't pass on the idea that a body is 'horrible' to your kid.

LittleMachine Wed 01-Jun-16 21:54:42

I would never mention it in front of my DSes in any way. I'm pretty conscious of using body positive language, as I work with teenage girls. And I believe it when it's not about myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now