Talk

Advanced search

House of Colour Winter

(17 Posts)
Pixilicious Tue 31-May-16 18:14:02

Hi all, I had my colours done a week ago and while I have not been too off in my clothes choices I feel like I want to have a refresh of my wardrobe.

Can anyone recommend where I can get some Winter pallet clothes from? I've looked at Kettlewell and they're not too inspiring and quite expensive.

AmyInTheBoonies Tue 31-May-16 18:27:12

I'm a jewel winter and I find French Connection good. I also find Hobbs often has winter colours in.

It was said to me when I got my colours done that there is often more winter colours to buy in winter and I find this very true so you will get more to choose from later in the year.

Pixilicious Tue 31-May-16 20:50:09

Thanks Amy, I'm a jewel winter too so will check FC and Hobbs. And maybe have to rein my spending in a bit until winter sad

Not had my colours done, but pretty sure I'm a winter. I tend to pretty much live in black, white and grey, plus blue denim and a splash of hot pink when I can find it.

Which shops do you usually like?

Mamia15 Tue 31-May-16 21:37:36

Jigsaw & Gap are also good places to try.

I find that Fat Face and White stuff clothes are too muted.

shadesofwinter Tue 31-May-16 23:05:38

I'm a jewel winter as well. I've had some nice things from Oasis before. And actually Sainsburys quite often have some brighter colours, depending on what you're looking for.

I've found cobalt to be the easiest colour from my palette to find on the high street.

lazyjournalistsbogoff Tue 31-May-16 23:22:52

Sorry to hijack but how do you find out what your colours are/where do you go to 'get your colours done'? I've always wanted to know!

AmyInTheBoonies Wed 01-Jun-16 07:31:07

I did my colours with House of Colour. If you go on their website you'll be able to search for someone in your area.

I'm in the north east and did mine with Jill Green in Durham who was great.

shadesofwinter Wed 01-Jun-16 08:33:57

Yes, House of Colour. My consultant was fab - we went back a year later and did the style day too!

carrie74 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:21:09

I'm another jewel winter. For summer clothes, I have loads of the Vintage Cotton J Crew Ts, my favourites are cobalt blue, fuschia pink, navy and grey. Many have been bought in the US, or during their end of season sale, wash and wear brilliantly, just the right kind of hang.

I also wear quite a lot of brilliant white in the summer (Ts or shirts).

Whistles can be brilliant (depending on what colour scheme they're doing).

As Remus says, could be useful to know what shops you normally like (eg I never set foot in Oasis or Warehouse as the cuts seem to be designed for short petite women, and I'm a bit too tall, with no curves. I also avoid stores that don't tend to use natural materials - which is pretty much 90% of the High St...).

AdoraKiora Wed 01-Jun-16 17:47:37

I'm a Jewel Winter, but tend to stick to whats easy (blues, greys, white).

I live in navy and brilliant white in the summer, with a bit of electric/cobalt blue (which has been everywhere for a few seasons now, so isn't too hard to find).

I managed to find a dress in emerald green in Boden, which is a lot deeper/brighter than it looks in the picture. My first ever green purchase since getting my colours done grin.

I struggle a bit with finding the pinks and reds that suit me, though sad.

An added complication for me is that I hate blue. sad And every shop is FULL of it this year.

I've been looking for a red cotton dress and a bright pink cotton cardigan for pretty much forever - neither seem to exist.

Pixilicious Thu 02-Jun-16 18:42:50

Sorry all for going quiet. I had my colours fine with House if Colour too, would definitely recommend them. For work I normally shop in Boden, phase eight, monsoon. Out of work I'm jeans and t-shirts (roxy, animal, billabong). I'm a size 10 top, 12-14 bottom pear shape. I normally stick to dresses for work but think I could do more skirt/too combos (I have limited eye for style so coordinating outfits has always been tricky, hence wanting to get my Colours done!) I am also thinking of doing the style course.

QueenC Thu 02-Jun-16 21:57:22

Anywhere and everywhere tends to do winter colours. The main ones I wear are navy and cobalt. Recently I've bought tops from gap and uniqlo. Theres a lot of spring and autumn colours around this season (Browns, oranges, yellows) but you should find something suitable. Often in the winter it's easier to find jewel colours though.

Mamia15 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:02:46

You should find some winter colours in Phase Eight - Boden is a bit tricky as they tend to use yellow toned greens and tomato reds and not enough of the brighter winter colours.

A lot of the casual brands you mention are similar to Fat Face - muted colours tend to dominate.

RaisingSteam Sat 04-Jun-16 19:57:34

Black, white, navy, grey from almost anywhere.
I think it's a case of just keeping your eyes open - I kick myself for not getting a brilliant red t shirt when I saw it in Tesco.

I did get a couple of Kettlewell long sleeve tops in harder to find colours but not impressed with their summer range.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now