Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody ever tried supercuts?

(24 Posts)
ClutterofStarlings Sat 28-May-16 21:20:02

And was it okay, or would it be a disaster? Hair is long and very thick. Really don't have much money, is there a better idea?
Please don't suggest the MN haircut, I tried that once & it all went a bit Status Quo.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 29-May-16 11:36:34

I've had trims in there and it's fine. They are all trained hairdressers!
I haven't had a restyle but then my hair is usually just just long and a little layered. I like that they'll do a dry cut. I don't always want my hair washed by the hairdresser!

Curiousmum69 Sun 29-May-16 11:39:43

It's not actually that cheap if you're getting more than a dry trim.

I've been a few times and it's very dependant on who you get. Some are much better than others.

ClashCityRocker Sun 29-May-16 11:45:11

I thought it was bloody extortionate. £35 to take my shoulder length hair up to my chin. Going rate in my town is £25-£35 for a restyle, other than at the high end salons.

Which, once blow dried, transpired to be below my ears. And wasn't particularly even.

The cut made me look like Wallace from Wallace and gromits girlfriend.

I had been before and the lady was fantastic, did a grand job for £20 ish.

But, she was the manager and a lot older than the other girls so presumably more experienced.

ClashCityRocker Sun 29-May-16 11:46:38

I might be wrong but I'm not sure the ones at mine are fully trained - the conversations going on seemed to suggest they were still at college.

ClashCityRocker Sun 29-May-16 11:49:28

And when she washed my hair I felt like she was going to take my scalp off.

And she got soapy water in my eyes. Pah!

I cut my own hair now, but on groupon you can usually get a cut and condition for under £20. Check for reviews and recommendations first though.

ElaeudanlaTeiteia Sun 29-May-16 12:10:54

I've had one very bad haircut there and one very good one (different branches). Think it very much depends who you get. The one who did my good haircut also gave my DD a gorgeous pixie crop.

My bad cut was really rubbish, I mean, I probably could have done better myself rubbish. I left the salon and immediately went and bought a hat to do the rest of my shopping in blush

The good one was a brilliant long pixie type thing.

Mine were about £20-£25 I think.

ClutterofStarlings Sun 29-May-16 21:45:48

Thanks for responses! For that sort of price I can probably find somewhere else, perhaps as a standby. grin at hat.
Clash how do you cut your own hair. I mean mine is mostly up so it doesn't matter if the length is
uneven, but I'd like a bit of shaping around my face.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 30-May-16 00:43:01

I go to 2-3 different Supercuts depending on where I go.
I don't prebook so I couldn't go to a salon where I need an appointment.
I have short hair (growing it so I'm going to bodyswerve hairdressers until it needs a tidy) but if I need it cut I need to be in the right mood.

And sometimes even after washing and conditioning my scalp can still be irritated so I can't go.

It's not cheapest but it's (for me) more convenient.

There's only been one hairdresser I wasn't happy with, she was really rude to my DD and I just said "We'll leave it"
Though a few weeks later she cut my hair, made a really good job but wasn't very pleasant again.
I just avoid that branch now (though I could say "No, I don't want you" and give her daggers)

ClashCityRocker Mon 30-May-16 08:31:20

clutter I'm afraid it's the old up in a hair bobble up front, twist it one way, cut, twist it the other way and cut. It ends up in a choppy Bob which suits my face shape but I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

To be honest I've been doing it so long that if I went to a hairdressers they'd probably have a shit fit!

My problem with hair dressers is that my hair has quite a lot of movement and they always try to flatten it and product it to death. Which makes me look about ten years older rather than working with it, they seem to try to work against it.

melonribena Mon 30-May-16 09:41:00

My dp and 3 year old ds went once in desperation. It was awful. Expensive and their haircuts were dreadful. We had to go and get it sorted properly and the barber couldn't believe what had happened to ds 's hair!

MissElizaBennettsBookmark Mon 30-May-16 10:01:15

What is a MN haircut?

sandylion Mon 30-May-16 10:19:51

I went there for a spur of the moment cut thinking it would be cheap. It was £32 and I nearly died! It was an OK cut but I could have got the same cheaper elsewhere in town. Should say a cut at an expensive hairdresser in my town is around £36 for middle to top hairdresser.

LondonStill83 Mon 30-May-16 10:25:11

I went once and they RUINED my hair. I wanted blond highlights and they bleached it so much it was brittle and almost transparent, and the cut was awful.

And it wasn't even cheap.

Avoid!!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 30-May-16 11:04:40

Years ago they didn't do colouring and it was cheaper but busier.
I'd sometimes wait an hour (but having psyched myself up, I took a book and waited). It wasn't anywhere near as ££ , I think they started at £9ish for a dry cut.

MadSprocker Mon 30-May-16 11:30:31

How about a mobile hairdresser, they tend to be cheaper. Can you say the wider area you are in and get recommendations, eg I am in East Anglia, and villages and small towns can have great hairdressers for less £.

ClutterofStarlings Tue 31-May-16 18:40:34

Ah thanks! Even more confirmation not to do it. I think the one in town advertises a five or ten pound cut, which is why I thought I might try, but if it'll be 25 I can go somewhere reliably good for that or a bit more once I save my pennies a bit.
Debating hacking a bit off the bottom in the meantime...
MissEliza mumsnet haircut but like I say, mine went a bit mullety, and that was with someone helping.

ClutterofStarlings Tue 31-May-16 22:18:31

God, now there's another thread talking about MN haircut & im tempted all over again!

karalime Tue 31-May-16 22:27:24

I went a few times, then I went to another branch and was asked with disdain 'oh my god who did your hair?!'.

I have very long thick hair and despite them spending 15 minutes they charged me £25. Now I go to a fab lady that does my hair for £20 on a Friday and spends a good hour on it. This is in London too.

MissElizaBennettsBookmark Wed 01-Jun-16 00:50:26

Ah thanks Clutter.

Status Quo made me laugh grin

LineyReborn Wed 01-Jun-16 00:59:41

It depends which one of Status Quo you're talking about.

avamiah Wed 01-Jun-16 01:01:30

I've never heard of this company.

nannybeach Wed 01-Jun-16 10:32:10

Had a couple of cuts at my "local" perfectly happy, THEN two years ago, for lo-lites, long story ended up in there 2 whole days, it was my Birthday, was going out for lunch never ended up going.the colour did not "take" woman talking over my head as though I wasnt there. Next day Manager, she didnt speak to me for the whole time, 4 hours. Got e-mail asking how it was told them, got my money back. If I see someone in the streeet with hair like mine in type I will ask where they go, local college or salon model nights.

ClutterofStarlings Wed 01-Jun-16 10:46:16

Two whole days?!? I can barely sit still long enough for a blow dry! Eek!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now