Talk

Advanced search

Hair advice needed!

(6 Posts)
ElodieS Thu 26-May-16 10:36:11

I'm totally hopeless at hair (and style/beauty generally!), but really in need of at the very least a trim and possibly something more dramatic. Hoping any MNers who are good at these things might fancy the challenge of helping me out! I have a quite a long face with big cheekbones, quite a square jaw and thick dark eyebrows.

I have just below shoulder length dark hair, quite thick, with a side parting. It's fairly straight, but has a slight wave to it, particularly around the ears and shoulders, and tends to be greasy rather than dry, with frizz around the parting and temples.

I've got 4 y/o twins and expecting another, so something easy is a must. I also do a bit of running and yoga so like to be able to tie it up or otherwise get it off my face. I generally wash my hair every day or every other day if I'm particularly pushed for time. I've always been pretty lax at having it cut, and usually go to the hairdressers totally clueless around 2 or 3 x a year, but I could probably manage to go more regularly than that if push came to shove.

I have a professional job that involves presenting and whilst I'm never going to be someone who spends lots of time on appearance I could look a bit smarter. My current hairdo is what I would describe as typical school girl hair, and it's usually up in a high-ish pony tail.

So, MN-ers - what should I go for and can anyone recommend a good (not crazy-expensive) hairdressers in N London?!

E xx

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-May-16 11:42:24

Can't recommend a hairdressers in N London but I think you should keep most of the length and perhaps consider a fringe? Long faces usually suit blunt fringes or a side swept one. Your hair looks more 'done' if you put it up but have a fringe.

In my experience, bob haircuts on thick hair are hard work and need daily styling and can't easily be tied back.

You could ask for a semi permanent dye close to your natural colour to give it some shine or there are straightening treatments available that last a few months if you just want it a bit slicker.y

Another option is to have it short but it's hard to advise without seeing your hair or a photo.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-May-16 11:43:56

Sorry about typos there.

ElodieS Thu 26-May-16 11:49:54

Thanks Lost, that's really helpful. I was wondering about a fringe - I've had them in the past and quite liked it.

I had a look through some pictures for ideas, but can't help thinking they're just unrealistic unless you have several hours to style your hair every day, right?

www.headmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Headmasters-Midi1.jpg

www.headmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016-collection-brunette-short.jpg (my hair is probably a longer, much less 'done' version of this now)

www.headmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/headmasters-the-beatnik.jpg

www.headmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Headmasters-Bevel-Bob.jpg

www.headmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2014-short-bob1.jpg - I really like this one, but I think you're right about bobs being hard work!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-May-16 12:55:33

Those styles would be quite easy to achieve if you have a wave in your hair anyway. It depends how well your hair behaves when left to its own devices!

It would be quick to just run some straighteners through a fringe in the morning and leave the rest natural.

Definitely show your hairdresser a couple of pictures so they know what you want. I think if you exercise and are busy ask for enough length so you can still put it up.

Good luck with new baby. Sounds like you'll have your hands full. smile

ElodieS Sat 28-May-16 08:58:22

Thank you lost, it worked out pretty good! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now