Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Make up class / advice for 50yr old

(8 Posts)
Dotinghusband Tue 24-May-16 14:09:57

Sorry - I'm a man so probably shouldn't be here but I thought it might be the best place to get some advice. My wife is in her late 40s and has been grumbling that the make-up techniques that worked for her 20 years ago don't have quite the same effect today, even though she's still beautiful without any products on. For her upcoming birthday I'd like to arrange a consultation with an expert who can spend some time with her and help her identify what style and products will suit her today.

I know she could sit in a department store and be "made up", but I'm thinking of something a bit more sophisticated and personal. We live in SE London and work in the centre.

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions.

ginorwine Tue 24-May-16 16:27:55

I'm a similar age and was feeling as yr dw describes .
Bobbi brown - although are in dept stores - were v v good . They aim for a ' you but better look ' .
I Wd really recommend and you cd buy her a voucher to spend there too ?

botemp Tue 24-May-16 17:01:05

By the sound of it she's more in need of a different set of products than help with technique. Laura Mercier (I thinks she'll love the newly released Candleglow Foundation) or Bobbi Brown are your best bet (and get her 'something' from Chanel, for whatever reason that feels more like a treat than anything else).

You can book appointments with both, LM sometimes do special events where the fee is then a voucher to spend at counter but it's less of an individual approach though highly educational. It's a lovely idea, I'm sure she'll appreciate it!

ginorwine Wed 25-May-16 15:09:50

Hi
I'm similar age and although it's in a dept store I had a class with Bobby brown - they did my make up but then let me have a go so that I cd do it at home- it was very good and the look was ' me but better ' which is good for this age group rather than heavy make up .
You could buy gift voucher from there as well as booking a class so that she can get products .

ggirl Wed 25-May-16 20:25:16

nice gift !
you can book a lesson bobbi brown

domesticslattern Wed 25-May-16 20:42:30

Sounds lovely! I like Bobbi Brown too.
Make sure you take her out for dinner after the lesson so she can go out looking lovely and trying out her new look. Just going home and washing it off is a bit demoralising! <personal experience>

saoirse31 Thu 26-May-16 07:41:41

Agree with recs for Bobbi brown... Had first ever lessom there at 51!!

UpsidedownDog Thu 26-May-16 07:59:24

Watching with interest, as I'm 38yo and have no idea how to apply make-up. That said, I rarely wear make-up as it makes my face feel clogged up and uncomfortable. I've worn it around 8-9 times in 38yrs and it doesn't matter whether it's heavier Poundland make-up, or lighter Clarins/Elizabeth Arden/Lancôme make-up, they all feel the same on my face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now