Talk

Advanced search

High heels that are comfortable?!

(30 Posts)
rollonthesummer Tue 24-May-16 09:12:42

I have never really worn high heels and tend to go for clumpy boots (with a squidgy heel like DMs or Fly) in the winter or birkies in the summer. High heels and ballet pumps sentem to hurt the soles of my feet and they end up feeling total flat and painful-like I am pounding the pavement with my heels.

I would love a pair of lovely black heels to wear with jeans on nights out though as I think they look so lovely!

Are there any brands that are actually comfortable??

Queenbean Tue 24-May-16 09:16:31

M&S with their squidgy comfy technology are really good. I'd go for a heel that is wider than stiletto and not too high or you'll be uncomfortable.

Also, you may be more comfortable with a wedge if you're not used to wearing heels. M&S also has some black patent wedges

Queenbean Tue 24-May-16 09:18:48

Btw the problem with the ballet pumps you wear is that they have literally no heel or protection so that's why they're painful to wear. My feet do the same - my heels actually hurt after wearing them for even half a mile. You need some proper flat shoes with more support and padding. Jones has some good ones and Gabor is a good range too

phoolani Tue 24-May-16 09:20:58

Back in the day (i.e pre-kids when i had money) I bought a couple of pairs of Gucci heels and they were so comfy I wore them all the way through my pregnancy at work. I don't know why they were so comfy, they didn't have anything different to normal heels iyswim. If, like me (sob), your budget is way south of Gucci, I recently bought a pair of peep toe shoe boots from Dune which are like wearing slippers; not exactly what you're after I know, but the soles are lovely and squishy, so maybe their heeled shoes have the same sole?

BiddyPop Tue 24-May-16 09:24:55

If it is the soles of your feet that hurt, try to get heels with a thicker sole. I know I have a couple of pairs with a small platform, which means the heel can go higher than I normally would (still the same height to my foot though) but my soles are soooo much more comfortable.

Otherwise, at least a reasonable thickness of sole, not the paperthin versions that places like Barretts use. I generally buy quite expensive ones as I use them a lot - Gabor, a couple of Italian brands (no clue of their names as they're at home), some M&S ones are fairly decent too.

Twistedheartache Tue 24-May-16 09:29:05

My budget doesn't stretch to super high end but my comfiest high heels are both Kurt Geiger

TheOptimisticPessimist Tue 24-May-16 09:59:31

In a total contrast to twisted's KGs, my comfiest heels by far are from new look.

I'm not normally a new look fan, but they're fairly high stilettos with a slight platform and an ankle strap and I can wear them all night dancing and walking around town with no issues at all. I've had them for years and they haven't fallen apart yet!

In my experience Red or Dead are usually pretty comfortable too.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Tue 24-May-16 10:06:47

Try a gel insole, I have feet issues so have to wear them with all shoes, heels, boots, trainers, DMs.... Everything except sandals but am now wondering if I could superglue some clear gel insoles to the bottom of my Birkenstocks

botemp Tue 24-May-16 10:08:27

Tape together the third and fourth toes of each foot (count from the big toe outwards). It relieves the pressure of the ball of your feet. I just use a bit of medical tape meant for use on skin but any old tape will do in a pinch.

It's really individual as to what brand/type of shoe suits you, I have high arches so have little issue with most hh but if you have flat feet it can be far more troublesome. Above tip works for everyone though. In general avoid pumps with a very thin sole, an internal platform will compensate a lot too.

misscph1973 Tue 24-May-16 10:12:11

I've got a pair of Campers with a medium to high heel, and they are so comfortable. I think the key is to go for heels that are not too spikey.

A1Sharon Tue 24-May-16 11:53:28

What about wedges,OP? You get the height and glamour with out the pain.
Tommy Hilfiger have some nice ones, and they also do some kitten heels which are cute?
Here.

A1Sharon Tue 24-May-16 11:55:39

Block heel?

rollonthesummer Tue 24-May-16 14:53:38

Thank you for all of the replies! I really like the look of heels though, maybe a 3 or 3.5 inch would be ideal? I'm not keen on the block heel, though could be tempted by a wedge. I don't really like the cork or espadrille style bases though-am not sure how eveningy they are?

I haven't got on with New Look or Next heels before-they killed the ball of my foot as well as really hurting on the heel. I need something where the soles have a bit of squidge but that don't look like old lady shoes!!

Rosebag Tue 24-May-16 17:04:57

Can I put in a vote for Nine West. I only wear heels for posh functions these days but I've done really well with courts from there. I've never had an uncomfortable Nine West shoe and can stand for ages in them without the ball of my foot complaining. That said I don't buy the skyscraper heels....

rollonthesummer Tue 24-May-16 17:33:03

That's interesting-I will have a look for those. I certainly don't want skyscraper ones!!

Thank you!

Playduh Tue 24-May-16 17:39:08

https://helloecdc.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/my-feet-the-most-comfortable-good-looking-work-shoes/

Some good ones on here.

rollonthesummer Tue 24-May-16 21:20:36

Thank you-I'll have a look!

I haven't found anything I love the look of yet!

everyonesmom Tue 24-May-16 21:34:24

Have a look on next directory and their "forever comfort" range. I bought the navy croc effect stilletoes for a wedding and took my trusty comfy flats for when I couldn't stand them anymore. Twelve hours I was in the stilletoes and can honestly say they are the comfiest shoes I have ever bought. Came straight home and bought the nude ones too. They seem to have a whole range of this comfort range but I can only speak for the stilletoes.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 25-May-16 10:25:23

I'm not sure if Chie Mihara will do simple black pumps (her designs are a little more elaborate, but on the good side of fun) - these are the only heels I can wear without hurting after 20 minutes. They are on the pricy side, but they pop up on eBay a lot, and her website always has discounted styles.

HidingFromDD Wed 25-May-16 10:39:30

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26114686

Clarks Amelia in case the link doesn't work. Absolutely the comfiest healed sandals I've ever worn

hairygodmother Wed 25-May-16 10:53:09

I have similar issues with heels and have to put insoles in everything I wear. I bought some black suede ones in Jones the Bootmaker last year and they are so comfy. They are similar to these (although with a more elegant-looking strap).

hairygodmother Wed 25-May-16 10:53:57

Blast posted without link:
Jones the Bootmaker

Girlwithnotattoos Wed 25-May-16 11:07:16

Have a look at Rockport, they make some lovely high heeled shoes as well as clumpy boots. They are part of Addidas and use the same technology inside the shoes as in your comfy trainers. So their high heels are a dream to walk in and even I am able to wear them all day. Not the cheapest to buy but no where near Gucci prices and sometimes can be picked up really cheap in tkmax. smile

BestBeforeDate Wed 25-May-16 14:14:56

I have some Clarke's suede court shoes with a hidden platform, so the heel is not actually as high as it looks. I've had a look, but I don't think they do them any more, though you might find some like them on Ebay here

Twinklestar2 Thu 26-May-16 08:21:14

I find LK Bennett shoes the most comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now