Talk

Advanced search

Shorts for a pear shape - is it possible?

(11 Posts)
sarahbanshee Mon 23-May-16 07:51:23

I'm a size 14 hourglass/pear shape and in the summer I usually live in dresses, or the odd pair of linen trousers. But I'd really like a pair of shorts for this summer - am I daydreaming that I could look anything other than hideous? My legs are quite good, although they're not especially long, it's the hips and bum I'm worried about.

I'm 39 by the way so also worried I may have missed my shorts wearing days altogether!

What does everyone wear in the summer?

Pantsalive Mon 23-May-16 16:58:29

I've got a couple of pairs of longish ones from Dorothy Perkins which are still going strong. They seem to have long style ones every year.

Never to old to wear shorts. My DM still rocks a pair of knee length, well-fitting shorts at 77.
(She is incredibly youthful and in better shape than me thoughsmile)

Pantsalive Mon 23-May-16 17:00:24

I've got a couple of fine cotton empire line tops that I tend to wear with my shorts which are good for bum/hip covering.

BluebellTheDonkey Mon 23-May-16 17:01:52

I am a size 14 pear shape and have just found some fab shorts in matalan. They stop just below the knee and they look amazingly ok, and I'm speaking as someone who hates her legs! They're quite a nice thin fabric too. Although I have to say that matalan have taken vanity sizing to the extreme as I fit easily into their size '12' - no way am I a 12!

BluebellTheDonkey Mon 23-May-16 17:03:56

Also I am 41 and wouldn't usually wear shorts but when it's hot I don't care!

feesh Mon 23-May-16 17:11:03

I think denim shorts look acceptable, but all other shorts look a bit rubbish - for reasons unknown, but I have been pondering a lot recently!

habibihabibi Mon 23-May-16 17:16:24

Boden bistro are very sturdy with a slight stretch and althought she said she would never wear shorts , my 67 yr old pear shaped mother is a total convert ( after trying mine )

thisonethennomore Mon 23-May-16 17:30:05

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-shorts/wj044/womens-richmond-shorts
I've got a couple of pairs of these, they're stretchy and forgiving.
The 6" leg was most flattering for me, but am I very tall.

retainertrainer Mon 23-May-16 17:50:13

A second vote for matalan-they've got some lovely tailored,patterned,cotton shorts.

Anna275 Mon 23-May-16 18:01:45

I think it really depends on the cut and the fabric. I'm a pear shape and I usually go for shorts that come higher up on my waist (although not high waisted) so I can belt them and tuck in a shirt. The shorts usually hit around my mid thigh or a little lower. I never do bermuda style shorts because my legs are short and end up looking stumpy if cut off at the knee. For me, the key is making sure the shorts aren't skintight. Leaving some space between the fabric and my leg makes my legs look thinner and I think gives a more polished appearance. A cuff on the shorts also tends to look better on me than just a flat edge. A good fabric that keeps its shape and isn't flimsy helps too. I usually stay away from denim (it's hard to find denim shorts that aren't made of stretch material or marketed towards younger women) unless I'm doing something very casual and stick to navy blue as an alternative.

shirkingworking Mon 23-May-16 18:07:48

Vote for Gap shorts here - I didn't wear shorts until I was 38... (Slimish pear shape!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now