Dress alterations

(7 Posts)
JeffFromTheDailyMail Sun 22-May-16 21:00:23

I have a dress I love but since dropping from a 12 to an eight shameless stealth boast it no longer fits at all. It wasn't hugely expensive - damsel in a dress, and a couple of years old, but I wish I could wear it. Does anyone have any idea of how much the going rate is to make alterations like this? Tia

JeffFromTheDailyMail Sun 22-May-16 21:16:36

Anybody?

Cakescakescakes Sun 22-May-16 21:17:47

I paid £18 to have shoulders layered on a dress and a back seam taken in a bit. That was couple of years ago though. Yours might be bit more substantial work.

WhiteHairReally Sun 22-May-16 21:32:00

It depends on the construction of the dress and I suspect where you live too.
I had a sleeveless dress taken in by just having the back seam taken in recently. It cost £20. I also had a favourite jacket taken in, a major job which cost £55.

These were both done by a fairly chichi tailoress in a smarting suburb of a naive city.

I also have skirts being taken in ( involving taking out a zip and negotiating linings.) at a alterations place in a much more 'normal' part of town. I'll be paying £10 per skirt.

Hope these examples help you OP.

mrsvilliers Sun 22-May-16 21:33:09

I think it will depend on the stitching. I am having alterations to an evening gown (lining up, chiffon outer up and hemmed, shoulder taken in), total cost just over £20 for 1.5 hours work. But a top that I want to be taken down a size is going to take the same amount of time again and then some as the stitching is tricky. So I think your best bet would be to take to a seamstress and see what they say. Perhaps have an amount in your head as the max you'd go to? And congrats on the weight loss, very well done!!

ProseccoPoppy Sun 22-May-16 21:41:52

I had a ball gown taken in between two and four inches everywhere. That's a LOT of work undoing seams and adjusting lining and boning etc and was iirc about £80. Totally worth it though - my max would have been £100, if I'd been quoted much more I'd have looked for a new dress. Yours will depend on the fabric and whether it's lined etc and whether it is a full seam unstitch job or a nip and tuck.

JeffFromTheDailyMail Sun 22-May-16 22:05:31

Thank you all, I would probably pay £50 which from the sounds of it isn't totally impossible but I'll take the advice and go and make some call tomo row

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now