Talk

Advanced search

Where did you buy your glasses?

(37 Posts)
peasofcake Sun 22-May-16 18:16:54

Just wondering where you all bought your glasses if your a spec wearer? I've had an eye test and need new glasses and have prescription in hand.
So many options highstreet/online/Costco/supermarket- where is the best place to get value for money?
I ideally want 2 pairs but nothing set my world on fire at spec savers where I had my test.

cressetmama Sun 22-May-16 19:44:48

IME you will get what you pay for. I am firmly of the opinion that an independent optician is likely to offer a better selection of frames and better service than a chain. Most of the high street offer is restricted to specs made by Luxxotica, who own the "designer" licences. But you are likely to pay more at an independent. It's your money and your choice, but value for money is one of those things that will be completely down to you. I wear glasses all the time, and have varifocals, so the lenses are expensive, and each time I choose frames, I try to go for something very fashion forward so I get three to five years of daily wear before they look stale and bore me. Your cost to value equation could be different. HTH.

CwtchMeQuick Sun 22-May-16 19:49:52

I usually get mine from specsavers, but they've stopped doing Boss Orange glasses so last time my prescription changed I just got the lenses changed. I'm fussy with frames and didn't like anything else specsavers had in. My friend got some nice ones from vision express recently but I'm not sure what their prices are like. Specsavers do two for one but you have to pay extra for anti glare etc and it can get pricey.

Savagebeauty Sun 22-May-16 19:56:19

Independent opticians. They were cheaper than Boots.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 22-May-16 19:57:24

I have these but I got them from boots opticians with varifocal lenses and various special lens coatings. I get my eyes tested every couple of years and my prescription changes every time. I need to wear my glasses from the minute I get up until I go to bed so I don't begrudge how much I spend - over the two years it works out at about 75p per day. I got sunglasses thrown in for free when I got my last pair of specs.

herbaceous Sun 22-May-16 19:57:48

My reading glasses were £250 from an independent optician. Very sturdy and stylish.

My driving glasses were £40 from Asda, lenses included. Perfectly fine for the price.

minipie Sun 22-May-16 19:58:34

Online from Toni & guy opticians - but I'd found the style (Oliver Peoples) in an independent optician on the high st. Sorry high st opticians but online was less than half the price.

I spend a fortune on my glasses though as have a complex prescription and I expect them to last for years!

Mine are from the Specsavers teen range - there's not a huge choice but I only have a little head, so needed small-person specs. Am actually very pleased with them.

peasofcake Sun 22-May-16 20:01:34

Thanks all! Woolly we have V similar taste as that's the sort of thing I go for!
The independent in my town is £££ and I can't justify it as don't wear them all day ever day.
MIL raves about Costco and while they are cheaper you don't get free second pair or sunnies which is attractive but not something I really need!
Anyone out there bought online? I'm tempted but need a recommendation as no idea where to start!!

Behooven Sun 22-May-16 20:01:46

I've got varifocals from Costco. They have the tin and light lenses with non scratch non glare stuff included in the price. I think you have to pay extra for each of those usually.

Behooven Sun 22-May-16 20:02:20

Thin not tin

ZestyDragon Sun 22-May-16 20:08:25

My last pairs came from glassesdirect.com and were pretty cheap - but it showed. I got two pairs and one didn't sit right and I developed a twitch and the others, which had for about 18 months were quite flimsy. I just replaced them with glasses from an independent shop - yes they cost more but are much sturdier.

BlueEyedWonder Sun 22-May-16 20:41:25

I don't wear mine all the time. I got 2 pairs from specsavers for around £100. The glasses are fine. The customer service was crap!

Puffinity Sun 22-May-16 21:01:26

I got mine from Specsavers, but they're designer (I love Moschino). They were very cheap as I got them together with a contact lens direct debit (which I can cancel at any time after the first three months I think), so I got a massive discount. I've always been with Specsavers (though I've only been wearing glasses for 6 years) and have found them to have a good range, good quality and good customer service.

Watto1 Sun 22-May-16 21:03:23

I've been very happy with glasses direct. Huge selection, including designer frames.

peasofcake Sun 22-May-16 21:06:33

Watto how did it work? Did you just buy some hoping you would like them or try first? That's the bit I can't get my head round!

Watto1 Sun 22-May-16 21:13:49

You can pick up to 4 frames at a time to try at home. You then send them back (free post) and order the ones you want or another set of 4 to try. They will need your current prescription obviously, but they also need the distance between your pupils. This is not routinely on prescriptions apparently, but glasses direct can obtain it if you send them an old pair of your glasses. I believe they can also do it by webcam but not tried that.

ChoccyJules Sun 22-May-16 21:14:46

I've often wondered about fitting and comfort if you buy online, am very tempted as my lenses are pricey due to prescription....but what about the adjusting of nose bits and ear bits?
Like you OP I am currently armed with a new prescription and my current specs are 14yrs old!! So things are desperate. But due to my always needing readjustment and frankly getting stressed in the opticians trying to choose in the first place, I've wimped out for too long.

peasofcake Sun 22-May-16 21:18:02

Good to know Watto, thanks for giving me the low down!

peasofcake Sun 22-May-16 21:19:57

Jules are you me? I found the eye test so stressful that I couldn't really even look at classes afterward as was frazzled! Mine aren't 14 yrs old but I lost my 'latest' pair so the ones I'm wearing are 5yrs old ish! Here's a helpful kick to get on with it!!

CointreauVersial Sun 22-May-16 21:20:23

I just go to Specsavers, I'm afraid. We have a nice big branch, the people who work there are all lovely and helpful, and they have a decent selection of frames. I go for fairly plain, simple ones - don't like anything heavily branded/colourful/snazzy.

tdm1 Sun 22-May-16 21:31:02

I got a pair from specsavers once and really regretted it. The metal attaching the nosepieces to the frames was too soft, and every time one of my children came near me (bumped me!), the nosepieces shifted- leading to years of headaches and poor vision. I only really realised what the problem was when I changed my glasses.

ChoccyJules Sun 22-May-16 21:32:17

Yes OP we are me...confused

Boogers Sun 22-May-16 21:33:19

Does anyone have any recommendations for glasses for those with a wide head? I've been to Specsavers the last couple of times but always end up with similar narrow oval shaped, black framed specs as not many frames fit my head. After reading this thread I'm not keen on going with glasses direct as I don't want to make a cock up measuring pupils.

Cocolepew Sun 22-May-16 21:34:26

Remus Specsavers also do petite glasses. My tiny headed mum gets them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now