Talk

Advanced search

What is the deal with all these dress with the shelf overlay ? Am I missing the point

(26 Posts)
LardLizard Sat 21-May-16 21:49:27

here

These things are everywhere at the moment

MrsLettuce Sat 21-May-16 21:52:47

Yes, and skirts with tops giving that shape too. Tonnes of 'em. Masses.

They don't suit me. Perfect for some people.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sat 21-May-16 21:55:01

They do seem to make the waist look thicker. Or is it just that one, which is very short in the back?

GeorgeTheThird Sat 21-May-16 21:55:22

Perfect for the small busted?

LardLizard Sat 21-May-16 22:06:01

What shape are they aimed at ?

Saw a few nice dresses today and when I got closer I realised that they were all this weird shelf overlay thingies.

pollyblack Sat 21-May-16 22:08:44

I love them and they are flattering on me, small boobs, small waist, fairly hippy.

bigfatfeet Sat 21-May-16 22:10:41

I really like them, but after extensive investigations, have concluded that they are not for the larger of boob.

CakeNinja Sat 21-May-16 22:12:47

I think they're odd. I put them in the same category as peplum dresses - waste of material!

SesameSparkle Sat 21-May-16 22:15:53

My friend just bought one in that style for a wedding and looks amazing. She's got a very big bust and wouldn't normally fit into a dress with an under bust seam or waist band, but this seemed to work really well for her.

banivani Sat 21-May-16 22:19:39

Why can fashion only give us one thing at a time? sad

StrawberryLeaf Sat 21-May-16 22:21:15

I like the look of them but they would never suit me.

However, I follow a popular Facebook group called 'can I breastfeed in it' and these style of dresses are very popular - you just cut slits in the lining and you have a stylish dress you can breastfeed in rather than being stuck with frumpy Jo Jo madman Bebe !

Maybe that's the attraction! grin

NicknameUsed Sat 21-May-16 22:24:06

"I love them and they are flattering on me, small boobs, small waist, fairly hippy."

That describes me to a T. I really like that style, but I have loads of dresses and don't need any more.

herecomesthsun Sat 21-May-16 22:42:45

I thought the idea was to emphasise or show off a small waist - this one may not be very representative though.

CakeNinja Sat 21-May-16 22:45:37

Ahh herecomes, this makes sense actually. I do not have a small waist grin
That dress does make the model look a bit angular though, not very flattering although does emphasise the small waist.

herecomesthsun Sat 21-May-16 22:54:34

If you mean the Chanel dress to which I linked, that is Keira Knightley, she does not need any help to look angular. There was criticism of that look at the time because her waist appeared so very slender.

burnishedsilver Sat 21-May-16 23:31:34

It's quite a 60s look. I've seen Jackie Kennedy pictured in dresses like that that almost look like a 2 piece.

AdrenalineFudge Sat 21-May-16 23:43:05

I think they can be very flattering for the right shape i.e. small bust and hips. I personally think it looks a bit twee.

GettingIntoTheSpirit Sat 21-May-16 23:52:08

Good lord Keira Knightly looks like half a Christmas cracker in that frock!

CakeNinja Sat 21-May-16 23:53:32

Yes herecomes, that one!
Gives the illusion of her having really wide hips and very broad shoulders because the waist is so nipped in and narrow.
To me it looks like she's really out of proportion confused

CointreauVersial Sun 22-May-16 01:27:42

I think they are great for a straight-up-and-down figure (i.e. mine). Gives the illusion of a waist, even though I don't have one.

Don't like Keira's dress, though. She looks like a plastic action figure.

magicstar1 Sun 22-May-16 01:50:58

Doris Day used to wear them in the 60's too

OutToGetYou Sun 22-May-16 01:55:41

KK looks like she got cut in half by a magician!

thecatfromjapan Sun 22-May-16 01:57:02

I had a vintage dress like that. It was indeed a two-piece. The skirt was a dress, with a chiffon vest top and beaded skirt. The top went over it and was heavily beaded. I would guess it was in two parts because it would be difficult to get the dress to fit without bespoke tailoring directly onto a female body.
Lovely dress.

pollyblack Sun 22-May-16 08:42:01

I've got a fairly chubby "underboob" but the rest of me is ok, so it hides my worst part and shows off my best.

Floisme Sun 22-May-16 09:05:49

I really like them though I'm not sure they would my shape any more. They'd have been great in my 20s and 30s when I was straight up and down. I like clothes that are interesting shapes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now