Talk

Advanced search

Tory Burch "dry clean only" cotton trousers - does anyone risk washing them?

(5 Posts)
Fozzleyplum Fri 20-May-16 09:48:21

I am considering buying [[https://www.toryburch.co.uk/high-waist-wide-leg-trouser/50151226.html?cgid=clothing-pants-shorts&start=14&dwvar_50151226_color=304 these] trousers. I know they're ridiculously expensive, but I need a long inside leg and few places sell anything longer than a 32".

I've never had anything from Tory Burch, and was surprised to see that their cotton and denim trousers are dry clean only. I'm usually quite gung-ho about washing items that look ok to wash, despite a "dry clean" label. However, these are too expensive to risk, but before I sigh and give up, I thought it was worth asking if anyone else had washed this type of TB trousers and not ruined them.

Fozzleyplum Fri 20-May-16 09:52:24

Oops...link fail. For some reason, I can get to to link only to the home page. The trousers I'm looking at are cotton twill, a bit like coloured jeans, and are unlined.

ShmooBooMoo Fri 20-May-16 13:52:24

If they are 100% cotton, I think they'd be fine. Wash by hand, gentle spin and dry flat. I haven't got anything by Tory Burch but I can't see why 100% cotton would require dry cleaning. I think sometimes labels do this to a) make the clothes seem more exclusive (though I know this brand is!) b) protect themselves against clothes being returned because someone has not followed washing instructions (though the claim they have).
What's on the label, 100% cotton?

Fozzleyplum Fri 20-May-16 20:53:28

I'd agree with your reasoning, Shmoo.

The ones I'm looking at are 100% cotton twill. I wouldn't buy Summer trousers if they really were dry clean only. Having said that, I have a lined dress that is marked dco and I've been washing it regularly every Summer since 1993 ; I think I'll shrink before it does! I also wash Max Mara silk shirts that are supposed to be d c'd, so I might just risk it.

Kennington Sat 21-May-16 06:41:49

I wash 'dry clean' cotton twill and silk etc at 30 for a short wash with less detergent
Have never come unstuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now