Talk

Advanced search

Waaaah - hairdresser dyed hair too dark!

(20 Posts)
ProjectGainsborough Wed 18-May-16 21:55:02

Feel a bit like blubbing. Wanted light ash brown. Got very very dark brown, with black streaks at the front. It does not suit me.

Is there any point going back to rectify? Presumably lightening it will damage hair further. Should I just wait and wash it lots to get it to fade?

Very miserable. This was my treat to cheer myself up as have been feeling like an old crone. Now I look like Ozzy Osborne.

Ffion3107 Wed 18-May-16 21:57:24

Did you walk out of the hairdressers aying you were happy with your hair?

ProjectGainsborough Wed 18-May-16 22:07:23

I didn't say if I was happy / not happy. I wanted to get home and examine it when not under pressure

Thisismyfirsttime Wed 18-May-16 22:12:08

Tell them you're unhappy with it via phone call if you didn't say at the time. Tell them you'll wash it a couple of times over the next week to see if it calms down and if not will they correct it?
Wash in very warm water with Head and Shoulders or a clarifying shampoo and leave in a hair mask for an hour or so if you can before rinsing in very warm water. This should clear some of the colour (if you like the colour you should do the exact opposite iyswim) but they may want to try and correct it themselves before you touch it so call asap. If they do, find out what they want to do and don't let them lighten then re-tone. Only a shit place would want to do that anyway but just in case!

JapaneseSlipper Wed 18-May-16 22:20:58

Yes definitely call. You poor thing - but it can be fixed or at least improved x

Ffion3107 Wed 18-May-16 22:25:57

Know exactly what you mean, I definitely wouldn't wash it before they see it. Give them a call and explain how you asked for a lighter colour, they'll probably ask you to go back to correct it as they wouldn't wabt to risk a bad reputation, keep us updated!

retainertrainer Thu 19-May-16 06:29:14

Head and shoulders strips colour (in a gentle way). I was too dark once-repeatedly washed in h&s (literally 30 times in the shower) and it lifted it about 3 shades.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 19-May-16 09:00:54

I too recommend head and shoulders shampoo or a clarifying shampoo to lift out some of the colour. You'll be surprised how much it fades. Getting out in the sun will also fade it to a degree.

Instead of going lighter all over you could ask for a "T" of highlights. They would add highlights around your face and down your parting, sometimes called a half head of highlights.

Usually to get a light ash brown shade, I would recommend using a dark blonde or dark ash blonde. A good guide to the colour that suits you is to look at the natural colour of your eyebrows. Dark blonde is essentially light brown.

If none of that works for you, it's possible for a hairdresser to 'strip' the colour or use a bleach bath (diluted bleach) to lift it by several shades. Your hair needs to be in good condition for bleach to not damage it.

Take someone with you if you can't face going to complain on your own. You are within your rights to ask for it to rectified in some way if the result is not what you asked for.

ProjectGainsborough Thu 19-May-16 09:05:02

Is there anything they can actually do, though, do you think?

...bit scared as last time I asked for a rectify my hair went orange! Which funnily enough was how I found my current hairdresser - they put the crap hairdresser's work right. Should say I've always been pleased with current place. Think this is just an unlucky mishap.

ProjectGainsborough Thu 19-May-16 09:06:07

X post lostit - that's good to know.

bonnyscott Thu 19-May-16 09:07:58

I think you need to change hairdressers! But yes of course you should go back and give them the chance to rectify.....

ScarletForYa Thu 19-May-16 09:08:34

Get your money back from hairdressers. Then go buy colour b4 from boots and remove the colour.

ProjectGainsborough Thu 19-May-16 10:48:30

Ahhhh.....

I called salon and he told me is only a semi-permanent. (They lose points for not telling me that in the first place - it wasn't discussed and I assumed it was permanent).

So lots of washing should do the trick.

But god, I am fed up of having my hair dyed at the hairdressers. Seems to be like Russian roulette.

Has anyone had success with home dying? i've heard good things about Daniel Field.

Indecisivejo Thu 19-May-16 10:59:55

It doesn't matter whether it was a semi or not, the fact is it's not the colour you asked for and if you have black streaks at the front like u say then they obv did something wrong! They need to correct it for u by putting some lighter foils through your hair

bonnyscott Thu 19-May-16 11:25:17

Use vosene shampoo ! It strips colour fast!

HotNatured Thu 19-May-16 12:33:15

Go back to the hairdressers they have a duty to correct the mistake you have paid for !

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 19-May-16 13:29:57

You could wait for it to fade out with washing and try a home dye. Stay away from brown dyes as they always come out very dark. Semi permanent takes about 8 wks to fade but ime never goes completely.
Alternatively try the colour remover ( threads are on it)

You are likely to be left with a slightly orange tint to your hair. You can use a dye straight after. I would recommend L'oreal excellence creme in natural or medium ash blonde. That would give you a light ashy brown.
Colour correction is one of the most difficult things to get right so if you don't feel confident, ask at the hairdressers.

In the meantime, try darkening your eyebrows with eyebrow powder and using some bronzer and blusher. That can make a lot of difference if you think your hair is making you look washed out.

ProjectGainsborough Thu 19-May-16 15:09:26

Well they said they'd correct if I'm still not happy after a few washes. And I'd rather not chuck a load of bleach at it if I can avoid it, so will see how we go...

Youvegottobekidding Thu 19-May-16 17:22:57

Get some vitamin C efferescent tablets & a clarifying shampoo or vosene/head & shoulders. Google Vit C shampoo hair dye removal & follow the method - your most recent colour should wash out. If you choose to colour your hair at home, choose a shade lighter than what you think you need, box dyes always come out darker & if you decide to go back to a salon (maybe not the same one again!) take a pic of the colour you're after.

neveradullmoment75 Thu 19-May-16 17:38:40

I second the vitamin c. I used it and it made my hair lighter and just the right colour . There are you tube videos. It works smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now