What to wear with a navy dress for an interview?

(21 Posts)
CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 14:47:32

The job is for a TA in a primary school, it's what I would describe as 'smart business dress' in the absence of a suit because I don't own one. It's new.
What colour shoes/jacket/tights do I wear with it?

CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 15:53:37

Please? Anyone?!
I'm a lost cause grin

Lupinlady5 Tue 17-May-16 15:57:10

Sheer barely there tights. Try autograph range at M&S.

Shoes: pale grey, nude

Jacket - cream or pale grey. Or a cardigan if less formal - cream, or coral if you want colour

CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 16:10:01

So go light rather than dark? I've been given less than 24hrs notice, I'm on a short timescale!

WhiteHairReally Tue 17-May-16 16:20:51

Depends on your colouring OP.

With a navy dress you can put almost any colour with it, except black and chocolate brown. White would look odd I think for an interview.

PP suggested a cardigan. Do you think that would be too casual for the school you are applying to? Will they want to see you interact with the children? If so, a cardigan would be smart but easier to 'get down there with the kids' in. I always feel a bit sorry for Kate Duchess of Cambridge as she's often wearing formal and therefore can't interact as naturally as she'd like to, when she's visiting places with children.

OK, back to your garment quandary. You don't say how tall you are but again, if you might be working with children during the interview process, flats or only a slight heel might be sensible. Really high shoes would just make you a laughing stock on most teachers' eyes. I'd look at navy shoes and a pop of colour for your jacket or cardigan, or a fun colour shoe. Without ending up looking like a CBBC presenter, you do need to appear to be quite fun.

Other colours that look good with navy.

Bright pink. Red. Turquoise. Teal. Natural linen colour -beige? Emerald green. Orange. Bright yellow. Tan. Baby blue.

Lupinlady5 Tue 17-May-16 16:21:53

You could do all navy - navy cardigan and shoes, but I think that's too much to be honest. There's no hard and fast rules though.

CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 16:48:05

I've got tanned skin, hang on, here's a picture of my arm!!
I'm going shopping in a bit.
I think I'll look for a colourful jacket, it's going to be pouring tomorrow, and not sure about tights and shoes...
Not sure if they'll get me with the kids, hope so, that's the best bit!

hollieberrie Tue 17-May-16 17:00:30

Bare legs/ sheer tights and flats. And a cardie - grey maybe or coral?
I wouldn't go too smart - i think heels and a jacket would be a bit ott unless it's a smart private school (I'm a teacher). Good luck op smile

CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 17:12:50

I'm going to get some sheer tights (which I absolutely hate but my legs aren't pretty so at least will feel more confident!) and some flats, not sure if I will even need a jacket because the dress has flappy sleeves and I don't want to overheat, I'm looking at some tan brogues or flats at the moment, going to the shops in a bit. I'm going to try and find a link to the dress...

CakeNinja Tue 17-May-16 17:15:33

Hmm, she makes it look a bit going out-ey but it doesn't look like that on me! Dp says I look like a librarian in it grin

CakeNinja Wed 18-May-16 20:44:25

Just in case anyone cares, I got the bloody job!! wine

Tootyfilou Wed 18-May-16 20:46:41

Well done flowers

Penguin13 Wed 18-May-16 20:47:43

Only just seen this thread so a bit late for the advice and in any case am crap with style but well done on acing the interview!

Ankleswingers Wed 18-May-16 20:50:43

Well done OP!!

smile wine flowers

Willsee Wed 18-May-16 20:53:45

Excellent news!!! And what did you wear in end? Can't leave us hanging wink

CakeNinja Wed 18-May-16 21:12:48

Thanks!
I wore the navy dress with opaque tights and some horrible navy/brown shoes which was all I could get at such short notice! Had a cream blazer which I took off and left in the car grin

hollieberrie Wed 18-May-16 21:23:25

Congrats OP wine grin
Really like the dress btw.

CakeNinja Wed 18-May-16 21:25:00

Thanks! It's a really nice dress although the split at the front does come up quite high when you're sitting down shock

littlecupcake Thu 19-May-16 14:30:25

Congratulations on your new job!!

Can I jump on and ask if anyone knows where to get a nice smart cardigan/soft tailored jacket to go with a navy dress? This is the dress.

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing, but your thread title is exactly what I wanted to say!

CakeNinja Thu 19-May-16 14:48:37

Thankyou!
My cream blazer was from whistles last year, quite soft and informal looking as Blazers go.

FlindersKeepers Thu 19-May-16 15:21:44

Congratulations! cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now