Are you an online shopping addict?

(22 Posts)
AdoraKiora Sat 14-May-16 21:13:01

I think I have a problem blush

Currently awaiting:

Jacket from Next
Another jacket + sunglasses, a bottle of (Gucci Bamboo) perfume, a lace midi dress & tunic top from Very
2 dresses from ASOS
2 dresses from Boden
5 body lotions/butters (plus free gifts grin) from Body Shop
2 cardis, 2 pairs of sandals, 1 skirt and 2 jersey midi dresses from H&M

This is quite normal for a month (for me)

This is not a stealth boast. Its not a cry for help, either grin.

I'm just sort of reflecting, I suppose, and thinking...hmmm...is this normal? A I a basket case? Do I have a problem? Or am I just a normal woman interested in clothes?

bojorojo Sat 14-May-16 21:19:45

About the same as me! I have no idea if it is normal but as long as you can afford it and are not in debt because of online shopping, then it is ok.

PhylumChordata Sat 14-May-16 21:21:35

That does sound excessive. But depends on your family income, budget and priorities.

AgathaMystery Sat 14-May-16 21:22:54

Hmmm I order a lot of stuff. I keep about 1 item a month. Max blush

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 14-May-16 21:25:10

Nope (disclaimer - I am Non Techy)

I use the online sites to browse, I bought a dress from M&S that I'd seen online. I went in, found it , chose my colour , bought it.
I wiouldn't have found it by chance so that works for me.

I buy online-to-store if it's something I've seen but they don't have my size.

I honestly CBA buying loads with the intention of sending 90% of it back.

I buy a fair bit from QVC ( I know, I know ) , but only what I aim to keep. They don't do free P&P unless it's a Special Offer. angry <<should do for me I'm a speshul customer >>

AdoraKiora Sat 14-May-16 21:25:58

Yes I do return probably 3-4 items a month for not being right.

But keep a lot more than I send back.

Not in debt. Decent salary, DH earns considerably more. Got a credit card I do hammer and is always at about 1500 quid but never goes above that.

I suppose I have realised lately how much I LOVE shopping for clothes, and feel a bit weird about it. I like to view myself as a culture vulture/bookish type...and I am...but bloody hell, I get such a buzz from buying new clothes...it can't be right grin blush

AdoraKiora Sat 14-May-16 21:27:40

That sounded stupid. Obviously I AM in debt...but its not debt thats a worry for me/us.

Rockchick1984 Sat 14-May-16 21:39:37

It's less than I used to buy pre-kids but I don't have the disposable income to do it any more - I now just load my online baskets with all the stuff I want but only buy minimal amounts!!

Detailsoverleaf Sat 14-May-16 21:47:47

I rarely buy online (apart from eBay which I use to buy brands I know but refuse to pay full price for).

If it helps, so far in 2016 I have spent exactly £505 on clothes, shoes and accessories. I won't be buying anything else this month, so that's basically £100 per month, although the £505 does include a leather jacket which is a one-off purchase and should last years.

blueshoes Sat 14-May-16 22:01:15

Your wardrobe must be overflowing. Do you do regular culls?

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 14-May-16 22:15:32

I buy quite a bit, but send a lot back. I also often do in-store collect so I can try it on and return/exchange on the spot.,

This month I've bought:

Two ASOS blouses - both returned because the fit was off
Topshop blouse, Topshop dress - both kept
ASOS shoes - kept

(I earn a decent salary, so does DP, and we have no kids.)

idontlikealdi Sat 14-May-16 22:33:01

I'm jealous. I used to love clothes shopping DC and childcare have killed that right off! If you can afford it it's not a problemsmile

CoolToned Sat 14-May-16 23:02:56

I think I am. But I also return a lot of the stuff I buy. It's like when I receive them, either I don't like them, or guilt suddenly hits me in the head.

puglife15 Sun 15-May-16 00:24:17

We generally all have way too much stuff.

Stuff doesn't make you happy. It's not good for the planet (,,or the people who make it, half the time).

I've bought less than I used to over the past couple of years but his year I'm trying to buy way less... I'd say I'm generally happier, and so far probably about £500 better off.

FrustratedFrugal Sun 15-May-16 08:44:08

I used to be. Never in debt but spending far too much time and money online shopping. I've managed to change it by budgeting, installing browser blockers, limiting time spent on social media and limiting browsing. Brick and mortar stores are still a challenge for me and I need to constantly watch my overshopping tendencies.

I think lots of different forces are trying to normalize this type of behavior but for me the key question is whether consumerism makes us happy. I don't think so - clutter, bursting cupboards, barely worn items gifted to charity (where they generate a massive waste problem - lots of it ends up in landfills or is shipped off to Africa), strained finances. Yes, I love the high of handing over my credit card and saying yes to stuff. But I like other things even more.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 15-May-16 08:57:34

One advantage of IRL shopping compared to online is I need to consider if I want to carry all the bags around (that will usually put a block on an impulse buy grin ) .

And if I like something (not sure ,not 100% Have to Have ) then I walk away for 24-48 hours and if I still like it , I go back.

If it was online, I'd have bought it, no carrying restrictions.

Now, how to introduce this concept to my near 14yo DD.......................grin

BabyGanoush Sun 15-May-16 09:07:06

I pack away summer clothes for winter, and winter clothes for summer.

That way, when the weather changes I rediscover all my lovely clothes from last year ( always do a bit of a cull before I pack them away, so I don't get lumbered with clothes I did not love in the first place)

More exciting than shopping and cheaper.

Personally I don't like getting into debt for clothes/beauty stuff so only buy if I have spare cash (mega old fashioned attitude!)

Also, summer clothes are more fun to buy, but you don't get a lot of wear out of them in this country imo

Floisme Sun 15-May-16 12:15:44

I live in a city where the shops are pretty crap so when I first discovered online shopping, I was in heaven. Lately though it's started to piss me off.

It's partly because the local post office has closed so returns are a much bigger chore. But I'm also starting to resent having to part with my money before I've even tried on and then having to wait around to get it back. And when it's a store that even has a branch in my city but can't be bothered to stock it properly - yes you, h&m and m&s - then I begin to think they're just having a laugh.

Plus real life shopping used to be a social thing. I'd go with a couple of friends and we'd have a laugh - and a moan too. We've all got out of the habit and I've realised I miss it.

Lately I've started leaving stuff in the basket for a day or two instead of buying straight away. Half the time I forget it's even there until I get an email reminding me. Which is kind of telling.

maggiethemagpie Sun 15-May-16 13:26:45

I am a terrible online shopping addict, and send most of them back, but it recently occured to me that I don't actually NEED any more clothes, it's all just the thrill of buying new stuff. I'm more a sale-aholic than a shopaholic as I like the feeling of getting a bargain/discount, so now I am trying only to shop in the sales, problem is they are happening more and more times a year now than the old days when you only had a january and summer sale.

On the plus side I got all my wedding outfit online, mostly at discount, including a beautiful designer dress for £400 which would have cost a lot more had I gone down the 'bridal shop' route.

MsBojangles Sun 15-May-16 13:36:26

I can definitely relate, although like others have said I do end up returning a fair bit. Online shopping is virtually the only kind I do, except for groceries and boring day to day needs, it wouldn't enter my head to go traipsing around the shops trying things on in grotty badly lit changing rooms <shudder>

Perfume is my particular weakness, it always fits and is guaranteed to lift my mood...after a particularly spendy month I'm on a self imposed ban, we shall see how long that lasts hmm

Floisme Sun 15-May-16 13:43:32

it wouldn't enter my head to go traipsing around the shops trying things on in grotty badly lit changing rooms
You see I used to enjoy all that. And asking my friends what they thought. It was funny.

Online shopping is a very solitary pastime. It gives me better choices but it's not as much fun.

Pisssssedofff Sun 15-May-16 14:15:39

I love online shopping, Mumsnet is a bad influence. Normally I can't find stuff but one of you does with a discount code 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now