We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hair Dye Disaster!

(17 Posts)
holdinghands Fri 13-May-16 12:52:19

Hi I'm really hoping someone can help here!

My original hair colour is a light/mid brown and I had the brilliant idea of going blonde again (i let it grow out a couple of years ago) so I bought a bleaching kit, the result was a dark ginger underneath, lighter ginger on top and very light on my roots. So I left it a week before trying again and I was left with light gingery blonde all over. I bought a semi permanent blue colour (to neutralise the ginger) and I'm now a light grey with tinges of wishy washy blue (and I had to go to work this morning)!

In the past I've used the lemon juice/conditioner concoction which really works at getting unwanted colour out but I'm worried if I do that I'll be back to ginger again! Does anyone know how to get the grey out without me going back to bleached ginger?!

Oh and I recently had a haircut (it's now shoulder length) so my hair is in pretty good condition for more damage!

brassbrass Fri 13-May-16 13:05:58

I'd just go see a hairdresser rather than risk another chemical mistake

brassbrass Fri 13-May-16 13:06:34

you might find info on the internet or youtube, have you tried googling?

memyselfandaye Fri 13-May-16 13:08:45

If you are going to do it at home and want to stick with trying to get it blonde, the best you can hope for is an ash blonde dye.

Really though if you can afford it go to the hairdressers!

holdinghands Fri 13-May-16 13:11:53

Hi brassbrass, yes I've tried the Internet but there's so much info it's confusing! I was hoping someone had done the same stupid thing and might have fixed it. I think I'll try the lemon juice/conditioner on my fringe first and see what happens!

gingerbreadmanm Fri 13-May-16 13:51:12

Google wella colour charm.

I just used one on my yellowy / orangey blonde hair wella colour charm t11 and im very impressed with the results.

there are a few beige blonde ones that might be worth a try.

holdinghands Fri 13-May-16 14:00:16

Gingerbreadmanm, thank you! I have the lemon stuff on my fringe at the moment but if it doesn't work I'll try that!

gingerbreadmanm Fri 13-May-16 14:09:16

word of warning if you do get wella colour charm. it says mix 1:2 which is correct however you put it on wet hair and when you put it on it kind of foams up like a shampoo.

I used the full bottle as it was tiny but depending on hair length etc i reckon you should get about 3 uses out of it.

gingerbreadmanm Fri 13-May-16 14:12:39

Dont have a before pic but this is my after if helps.

biscuitkumquat Fri 13-May-16 14:17:50

If you crush up Vitamin C tablets & mix with some strong shampoo (Voseen anti-dandruff works well), make a paste with it, and leave it on for as long as you can, it will remove the last colour you put on.

I have no idea of the science behind it, but it does work

holdinghands Fri 13-May-16 17:58:50

Gingerbreadmanm that looks fantastic! The lemon didn't work, according to my ds "it now looks green". I'll give tje wella a go.

holdinghands Fri 13-May-16 18:00:55

biscuitkumquat, I've never heard that! Worth a go?

Buggers Fri 13-May-16 18:03:59

Can I see a photo of your hair then I can give you an idea of what to do

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 13-May-16 18:07:46

I would use a light beige or light ash blonde( L'Oreal excellence is good )and follow with a purple toning shampoo. Try Lee Stafford bleach blonde shampoo (Boots) and leave on for ten mins before rinsing.
Do your roots last with the bleach as the heat of your scalp speeds up the bleaching process to avoid very light roots.
Then a shed load of conditioner.

memyselfandaye Fri 13-May-16 22:31:44

You really need to go with an ash blonde, and don't put lemon juice on!

It sounds like you need a good toner - I've used this before after bleaching a friends hair which did look quite orange immediately after bleach but this got her to a lovely cool toned blond

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006EN98DC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

holdinghands Sat 14-May-16 10:40:00

Thanks for all the replies! I washed my hair twice last night and some of the blue colour has rinsed out so I'm left with a warm blonde colour. I have feeling its going back to the ginger colour but I'm happy enough to wait and see what happens. I've ordered a wella colour charm just in case! That will teach me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now