Talk

Advanced search

Would you allow a new hairdresser to chop your long hair short?

(21 Posts)
PacificDogwod Fri 13-May-16 10:11:21

I have an appointment this morning - my usual hairdresser has left the salon, there is nobody there anymore I used to use.

Currently I have mid-back length hair and I am very much wanting to cut it all off grin - longish pixie, methinks.

But, now I am not so sure. I don't know this woman from Adam….

confused

IWILLgiveupsugar Fri 13-May-16 10:21:43

I did exactly that. I was lucky - it turned out well!

I would take lots of photos and gave a long chat so she is clear about exactly what it is you want. Are there reviews of the salon/hairdresser online you can read, so you can assess the hairdressers experience level, without having to ask directly.

Pisssssedofff Fri 13-May-16 11:27:34

No have a trim

CremeBrulee Fri 13-May-16 11:28:39

No way, would want to see the quality of her work first.

slamdunkthefunk Fri 13-May-16 11:31:09

I did. It was great. But I did make a point of requesting one of the more senior stylists .

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 15:12:56

I chickened out grin

Had a very gentle trim. And a chat with her about future more radical changes.
I liked her chat and she styled my hair the way I asked her to, so think she'll be fine when I take the plunge.

Liking this one but would it work with wavy, frizz-prone hair?

Oh, hours of fun looking at haircuts online! grin

Emochild Sun 15-May-16 15:16:55

My dd is currently growing out that haircut

Growing the side part is pretty traumatic

Pisssssedofff Sun 15-May-16 15:19:49

I would say not unless you're happy to wash and blow dry every day

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 15:20:45

Oh, really?

I am not very precious about my hair and have done the 'very long to very short' cut a few times in my lifetime. The last time I had a pixie is about 5 years ago.

I might go for something less trimmed in then grin

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 15:22:53

Hm, no, I would NOT, Pisssssed - I may need to go for the messy look; suits me better.

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 15:23:48

Like this grin

HoneyDragon Sun 15-May-16 15:28:05

Are you still using lush henna?

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 15:29:53

Yep <swishes chestnut mane> grin

Floisme Sun 15-May-16 15:35:04

I love that cut but my hair frizzes and it wouldn't last 10 minutes.

HoneyDragon Sun 15-May-16 15:40:40

Then the first one would be fine wearing your hairy wavy as well as straight. The colour will look lovely with that.

Word of warning, the undercut will need regularly shaving and you'll have a cute colour difference if you've cut when your roots are due colouring. But that's a fab cut.

Floisme Sun 15-May-16 15:48:00

I think Honey's right. In fact my my hair's cut a bit like that - it's just wavy so I didn't recognise it grin

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 16:42:28

Part of the reason to go short is to have a proper go at going grey grin

I tried last year but with long hair it just looked too shit and because my colour was henna the hairdresser couldn't really offer anything much either. And I am not prepared to sit for hours and hours to have foils/highlights done.
So, I thought I'd cut the lot off and then see what regrows - undercut holds not horror for me as long as it does not scare horses or small children wink

HouseOfBiscuits Sun 15-May-16 17:17:12

No! I did that once and ended up with pretty much the opposite of what I wanted! Grew hair long again, and some time later had a fantastic short haircut from a hairdresser I've gone to for several years.

HoneyDragon Sun 15-May-16 17:54:14

That's why I lobbed mine all off, I'm totes natural now.

Cocolepew Sun 15-May-16 18:04:43

That first picture is great. Mines a (much) shorter on top version . I cut my own hair but the shaved bits are easy to do with clippers.
I went grey but am bleached white atm, but Im no longer scared to embrace the grey 😄, the sides of my hair are naturally white.

PacificDogwod Sun 15-May-16 19:23:40

If I'd try to cut my own hair I'd likely lose an eye I suspect!

My mother is 75 in a couple of months and does not have a single grey hair; it would be safe to say that particular gene has NOT been passed on to me <sob>

I don't have a lot of grey yet, not even salt'n'pepper, and as I am dark haired it just looks… I dunno, washed out? tired? It's not a look that I can figure out how to make work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now