Talk

Advanced search

Help me please- post baby wardrobe

(5 Posts)
TeamSteady Thu 12-May-16 20:48:31

Hi All,

I am currently 36w pregnant and feeling fat, frumpy, hot and sweaty. Ive got to the stage where none of my mat clothes really fit any more (and are all winter-y anyway) but don't really want to buy anything else as I'm hoping I'll have this baby in the next few weeks and money is tight-ish.

So, thinking on from that I was panicking about post baby clothes with a hot summer, whilst feeling like a whale, and leaking from every orrifice for a few weeks- sounds appealing!

I have put on at least 3 stone with this pregnancy (last weighed myself at 32 weeks and it was just under 3st), going from 9s 10 and a happy size 10/12 to 12s 10+ and I must be at least a 14 possibly probably more. I am normally an apple shape with boobs. I really have no waist, pretty much straight up and down, with a tummy and boobs. I can hide it ok, when slim -under ten stone, but feel v self conscious when above that weight. During my pregnancy I've put on loads of weight on my legs, which is unusual for me- they are COVERED in cellulite. I have cankles.. I am seriously hoping that at least some of it all of it is due to water retention... but that is probably wildly optimistic.

I will be breast feeding baby. With two previous children it was a little easier as they were late summer/early autumn babies so I went with leggings, loose top/tunic and vest underneath to do one up, one down to feed. However, I think i'll end up being too hot in that get up...Equally, my last baby was 6 years ago and I'm not really sure if i am keen on going back to leggings and tunics again.

I know my tummy takes a while to shrink and its the bit of my body i am most self conscious of anyway so I'm anxious to avoid anything clingy there for a while. I quite like the idea of harem pants (and wondering if i could get away with a pair i could wear now and post birth? Maternity skinny jeans are just too tight now) but wonder weather actually they look lovely on the willowy 5'10 size 8 model... but the 5'4 post baby me is unlikely to pull off the same chic look and end up looking like I'm in pajamas...

Can anyone please suggest some places to look? I previously bought my post baby wardrobe from white stuff... but looking back it is rather frumpy and I was just starting to feel good about my body, less frumpy over the past year or two before falling pg. H+M are so random in sizing, even between different colours of the same item. Zara used to make me feel like a whale even pre baby. I think top shop is a bit too young..

So i don't really know what i should be wearing or where to look? It would be good to come up with a small amount of clothes i could mix and match with over the summer and into autumn that hide my insecurities, make it easy to bf and are comfortable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

x

Pisssssedofff Thu 12-May-16 21:05:43

I'd go with shirt dresses personally.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 12-May-16 21:12:52

I would find a good pair of trousers/leggings - h&m have some navy chino type maternity trousers in at the moment. Perhaps also some long shorts or cut off jeans?
A stretchy skirt - maxi or otherwise
Cotton or some sort of loose shirt - short sleeves
A dress that you'll be happy to wear/loose over your tum
Some t shirts and vests
Cardigans or summer scarves are handy for draping over any bits you want to conceal

I'm tall and pretty thin and still find harem pants look like pjs on me but that might be a personal thing. They are comfy as hell. Try hush.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 12-May-16 21:14:58

Meant to say - for summer I would stick with maternity for trousers and bottom half, and just buy normal sized tops for after your baby arrives. Topshop maternity is actually not too young, yes h&m can be weird on sizing but it can be worth the hunt to get the right size for the price. Otherwise new look or Asda do cheap maternity if you're only going to wear for a few months.

poocatcherchampion Thu 12-May-16 21:32:41

I got a wonderful bf / maternity dress from new look that did me 3 babies and I'll wear at home this summer.

I suggest it is worth buying one or two things now as you won't shrink too quickly or want to shop - probably

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now