Talk

Advanced search

If you are --fat-- larger what do you wear to the gym?

(18 Posts)
FortyFacedFuckers Mon 09-May-16 17:34:52

I have put on around 3 stone in the last year and I am desperate to shift it, going to start walking/running and going to some fitness classes but I have been putting it off as the thought of wearing leggings & vest tops makes me blush
Please tell me what you wear? Or any larger ladies at your gym wear that doesn't make them look ridiculous?

Toffeelatteplease Mon 09-May-16 17:42:08

Sainsburys gym leggings (black and grey) and ridiculously coloured gym vest top. I appreciate the wicking fabric.

Thinking was that if I had to look ridiculous I would look as ridiculous as humanly possible. Backfired spectacularly as actually it looked right in the gym, actually looks pretty fab after losing 2 stone and nobody cared anyway.

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 09-May-16 17:47:43

They wear the same as everyone else. So long as it is in your actual size then it will look fine. Wearing horrible oversized men's t-shirts just looks like you are apologising for being there and actually makes a bigger person stand out more. Plus they are SO terrible for exercise, they flap about, get sweaty wet and heavy. Don't be ashamed, be proud. Wear the most appropriate kit for the task.

knowler Mon 09-May-16 17:48:09

I am a size 18 and have found getting good exercise clothes a complete pain. In terms of the best places to get larger sizes, i've found M&S and Simply Be to be the best. Have a look at these to get some ideas.

It sounds as if you're not keen on anything too revealing, so instead of leggings I sometimes opt for looser cut trousers (M&S do these) in bootleg. For a top, I sometimes wear a loose, normal v neck t-shirt with a nice crop top style sports bra underneath. However, most of the time I do go for leggings and a vest because while I might be a size 18, I don't actually think I look too bad in the closer fitting stuff if it fits properly - this is the key. If you're constantly pulling your trousers up, you're going to feel self conscious.

these are my latest purchases, which fit nicely, stay up, and are not too revealing.

blouson top

leggings

The top is flattering and very good for running because the elasticated bottom means it stays put. The trousers are good because the wide waistband is comfy and stays up.

Good luck with your exercise and weight loss smile

knowler Mon 09-May-16 17:48:13

I am a size 18 and have found getting good exercise clothes a complete pain. In terms of the best places to get larger sizes, i've found M&S and Simply Be to be the best. Have a look at these to get some ideas.

It sounds as if you're not keen on anything too revealing, so instead of leggings I sometimes opt for looser cut trousers (M&S do these) in bootleg. For a top, I sometimes wear a loose, normal v neck t-shirt with a nice crop top style sports bra underneath. However, most of the time I do go for leggings and a vest because while I might be a size 18, I don't actually think I look too bad in the closer fitting stuff if it fits properly - this is the key. If you're constantly pulling your trousers up, you're going to feel self conscious.

these are my latest purchases, which fit nicely, stay up, and are not too revealing.

blouson top

leggings

The top is flattering and very good for running because the elasticated bottom means it stays put. The trousers are good because the wide waistband is comfy and stays up.

Good luck with your exercise and weight loss smile

knowler Mon 09-May-16 17:50:19

ps - no one is going to be looking at you, I promise, so wear what you want. I wasted such a lot of energy worrying about what people thought about me out running, the answer being 'nothing', because they couldn't have cared less what I looked like.

herecomesthsun Mon 09-May-16 17:53:15

Boden sale was good to pick up decent gym wear (mine is mostly 14-6 but it went a good bit higher)

CookieDoughKid Mon 09-May-16 17:55:19

That's true. Nobody cares about what you look like as they are too busy looking or worried about themselves! I am always impressed by the larger ladies in my class who wear brighter coloured clothes and are a bit more daring! Well fitted and quality fabrics are key. Nothing is worse than cheap fabric no matter if you are a size 8!!

KittyandTeal Mon 09-May-16 17:59:57

I used to go to the gym (I run now) wi some larger ladies. They all just wore the same as the rest of us, leggings and a vest or tshirt.

I think you might think people are looking but they're not, they're concentrating on the steps to the dance or doing the right movement in pump.

The only time I ever stared was at a larger lady who had these leggings that were like a galaxy print and I was envy very envious of them.

ohlittlepea Mon 09-May-16 18:02:30

Tescos actually do some nice gym stuff. As long as it's the right size you cam wear any of it smile

WoodleyPixie Mon 09-May-16 18:08:02

I have gym wear from lots of places. Nike sell up to a 22. I have stuff from primark as well. Leggings and a longer sports too to cover my belly. Worst thing is a huge mans tshirt as its uncomfortable unless maybe you went for say a body armour one in the wicking materiel.

SealSong Mon 09-May-16 18:41:04

Yoga pants, gym t-shirt one size larger so that it's comfy, trainers.
You see people in all sorts of outfits in my gym so it's no big deal.

BonitaFangita Mon 09-May-16 18:49:44

If you're going to a good gym class, people will be too busy to look at you, where what makes you feel comfortable and enjoy yourself. You'll soon gain confidence after a few visits smile

misslemonsfilingcabinet Mon 09-May-16 19:22:56

Seriously, treat yourself to nice stuff. The blouson type vest linked above is nice and get some dark coloured but maybe funky patterned leggings or capris (sometimes more flattering). I'm quite small but go to the gym loads and no one would look at you twice! You'll be so more better in nice gear though and hiding in flappy oversized stuff will make you feel crappy. I hope you enjoy it
Here's a couple of ideas x
store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/pro-heights-vixen-training-capris/pid-10296835/pgid-11330485
store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/nikecourt-pure-tennis-top/pid-10838368/pgid-11164694
www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0345328004.html

NicknameUsed Mon 09-May-16 19:25:50

"They wear the same as everyone else. So long as it is in your actual size then it will look fine."

This ^^ I do yoga and pilates and am too busy concentrating on my moves to notice anyone else, what they are wearing or how big or small they are.

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 09-May-16 22:27:29

Thank you you have all made me feel so much better that no will be rolling on the floor laughing at the sight of me in exercise clothes. I love the clothes linked to especially that top. flowers

DontBuyANewMumCuntingDailyMail Mon 09-May-16 22:33:00

I used to get loads of Karrimor stuff cheap from Sports Direct <sings "Sports Direct Dot Com"> and about 5-6 yrs later it's still good.
They do nice calf length running pants, long length ones (I'm 6' and they're plenty long enough) and lots of cheap tops and vests.

Last week I got some sports bras from Lidl/Ali (sorry can't remember which) for 6.99 and they're awesome. Best I've ever had. Very very supportive for droopy post-BFing udders

Second that no one is looking and laughing. I used to be 4 stone heavier and when I see anyone remotely 'unfit' I just think good for them.

knowler Mon 16-May-16 09:53:58

Hi all, just wanted to say that i wore that blouson top and leggings (I'm a size 18) linked to above to run my first ever 10k at the weekend and they were bloody amazing. didn't shift an inch and were so comfortable it didn't feel as if I was wearing anything (in a good way smile ) Flattering too - although i haven't seen the official photos yet, so I might revise that opinion later!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now