Talk

Advanced search

girls holiday - seem to be taking a lot of black...

(13 Posts)
Holymoly321 Mon 09-May-16 10:49:27

Am going on holiday with some old friends, all in our 40's - we see each other maybe a few times a year. Have been packing and it seems like I'm taking a lot of black, and navy ie black vests, black dresses (casual mostly), black and white skirts to wear with black tops. Is this too much black? My shoes are white trainers, silver sandals etc. I can't wear lots of pattern and I don't wear a lot of white. Am hoping Ill be pulling off a sophisticated laid back cosmopolitan style but am wondering if I'm going to end up looking like I'm going to a funeral when compared to the other ladies!

Holymoly321 Wed 11-May-16 09:16:10

anyone?

SanityClause Wed 11-May-16 09:19:29

Black looks lovely on tanned skin.

Maybe get a spray tan before you go?

I have this black dilemma quite often, too. I worry it looks a bit drab on me, but see other women in black looking very chic.

campocaro Wed 11-May-16 09:20:20

I have a wonderful scarf and a couple of tops from Desigual http://www.desigual.com/en_GB/women/clothing/see-all/?gclid=CPeitYHL0cwCFQUq0wodEbsIdQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLTI1YHL0cwCFdQSGwodudsE3

which I wear with black and I always get complements on how colourful they are. I only buy their stuff in their sale as it's pricy but I love their stuff. Have a nice holiday

NapQueen Wed 11-May-16 09:24:15

I wear mainly black;white;grey;navy and purple. On holiday I don't change that grin I like what I like. Better to be comfortable than not.

botemp Wed 11-May-16 09:36:55

It depends where you go really, I never wear anything darker than navy in the south of France but think black in Italy is classic but it's always linen. Might only make sense in my mind but it does have a lot to do with the light, it's quite harsh in the Med (even harsher in the Cote D'Azur) so black, especially if it's not brand new, can look a little 'dusty' and drab. I don't like it with white there either, again harsh, beige or tan feels much more stylish. I like colour but if you're packing lightly it really limits your choices when you're at destination, if you don't wear it regularly at home I wouldn't suddenly decide to do it on holiday. Wear what makes you most comfortable and as pp mentioned get yourself something like a silk scarf to play it up a bit, great for on the plane and cooling nights.

plimsolls Wed 11-May-16 09:39:02

I think dark colours (navy/black) in the summer are really really chic. Absolutely agree with other poster who suggested spray tan. That will definitely take the look away from funereal or drab.

I think white shoes/silver sandals will look brilliant with black or navy. Get yourself some chic sunglasses and a nice stylish beach bag and you'll be good to go!

Have a brilliant holiday.

Dakin1 Wed 11-May-16 09:39:46

I would say fine with funky, colourful jewellery, shoes, bag and sun hat

Kr1stina Wed 11-May-16 09:39:51

2 questions

Where are you going and when ?

Do you suit black ?

CreviceImp Wed 11-May-16 09:42:49

Black is cool.

Kr1stina Wed 11-May-16 10:22:37

Black is cool if you suit it

If you don't, it makes you look older, tired and fatter .

Holymoly321 Wed 11-May-16 10:27:44

oh ladies, thanks for these responses, I feel much better now. I wear a lot of black at home, and feel very comfortable in it. I also have lots of silver sandals, white converse, gold bags etc so am hoping it wont look drab. It would be silly of me to go out and buy a lot of typical 'summer holiday type print' stuff when they would just look totally ridic on me! I am who I am and I can't change that ;)

CreviceImp Wed 11-May-16 11:08:52

I personally like black with ginger suede/tan/chocolate leather accessories which also work well with navy. Mink beige is also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now