Canada Goose

(23 Posts)
WhereInTheWorldToNext Sun 08-May-16 19:58:02

Anyone got one of their parkers? Worth the money or insanity?

louloubelle2 Mon 09-May-16 08:18:30

Unless you've found one with a massive discount (which I never have, so do share), why bother buying one in May? Or are you not in the UK?

I do know they are made for proper, sub-zero temperatures and for countries such as Canada, Iceland etc...so unless you really feel the cold in winter in this country, you might find them too hot for here.

Either way, they are hugely expensive, and while I would invest (my current North Face Arctic Parka has lasted six years, and I really feel the cold), many on here will say you are mental.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Mon 09-May-16 10:30:04

They are seriously very heavy duty coats.

My DH got one discounted a few years ago from an outlet on eBay for our trip to Alaska. It is a lovely coat, very, very good quality. He uses it for the taking the dog for very early or late walks in winter or for travelling to work when they've got him starting a stupid shift at 3am. It will last him a lifetime so he considers it a good investment.

I bought A didriksons this year, that's expensive enough for me haha

LoveFromUs Mon 09-May-16 10:41:58

Yes I have one, they are worth the money and they never go on sale, they are extremely warm and the fur is beautiful, I must say that I did get some funny looks whilst wearing mine in the winter, if you can afford to buy one buy one, they also come with a lifetime guarantee.

Littlelondoner Tue 10-May-16 14:06:57

I love mine. But never much opportunity to wear it. Other than early morning walks or the odd freezing cold day wander on the heath. Living in London it just is not cold enough. But when I am in the country or sking I wear it a bit more. But day to day in the city not so much. I love it though like bit duvet with soft fur.

Littlelondoner Tue 10-May-16 14:08:06

lovefromus funny looks? Why? They are really popular where I live. Although I find mone to warm so does not get much of an outing.

LoveFromUs Tue 10-May-16 14:15:15

I live in London also - Yes funny looks a lot of people don't agree with wearing real fur because where it comes from.

Littlelondoner Tue 10-May-16 14:24:11

Oh I get you now. Sorry that makes sense.

I wear alot of down and fur in the winter. Luckily I have had no encounters. But I do hide from the animal rights protestors everytime I go in to certain department stores. Visions of some one throwing a tin of paint over me.

Pisssssedofff Tue 10-May-16 14:35:26

I have a Ralph Lauren one £99 from the Cheshire oaks outlet and honestly I was boiling in it all winter. I'd imagine you could actually cook in your own juices in a CG coat in the uk, unless the next ice age comes in which case you'll be the only survivor and get to eat us all

snowman1 Tue 10-May-16 14:44:22

Hi, they are very good quality coats. But if you are in the UK I'm not sure how much use you would get, as they are really hot. The benefit is they are cut really beautifully for so have a good weight to warm ratio. But they are also not waterproof and suit a dry cold like we have here in Canada. The suggestion when it is wet and cold out (EG ice storm) is to put a waterproof goretex jacket on under it and it stops the water penetrating. Many dry cleaners here also refuse to take them for cleaning as they are such an expensive garment.
I chose a Quartz Nature one which goes down to my knees (a Montreal-based canadian sourced fur company) which is waterproof and can be put in the washing machine once you take the fur lining off. i figured i would get more use out of a waterproof one than a Canada Goose coat which isn't if we went back to the UK. Even when it's 30 below here, and your eyelashes and nose drips freeze, I am still warm with snow pants and very good gloves and hat..

GeneTierney1 Tue 10-May-16 14:55:29

m.facebook.com/CanadaGross/

Horrific cruelty involved in your keeping warm with a Canada Goose coat.

They have made America their new frontier, forging into the US clothing market to become one of the season’s most recognisable brands with sales of Canada Goose outerwear expected to top $30million this year alone.
In a high profile year in the States, Kate Upton has appeared on the front of Sports Illustrated in one of their fur trimmed, down jackets and nothing much else.
It isn't the only firm to market such coats, yet Canada Goose has rapidly established itself as the label of choice for the well-known and the well-heeled braving the frigid weather blown in on the polar vortex.

www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-satto/is-that-dog-fur-on-your-c_b_8670400.html

GeneTierney1 Tue 10-May-16 14:55:54

thefurbearers.com/other-faqs/what-about-canada-goose

ScrotesOnFire Tue 10-May-16 15:02:43

I had never heard of them so gave them a Google.
They ARE very beautiful coats and look lovely and warm.
But coyote fur and duck down?!
Really?

I'm not a vegetarian and don't mind fur, sheepskin etc if the animal was killed for food and the pelt was just going to waste but I have a big problem with killing just for pelt.
Which the coyote obviously has been.

I see previous comments about dog walkers wearing these, coyotes are members of the dog family.
If you look at footage of them you can see videos of them playing with dog toys just like dogs do.
Your essentially wearing a dog..
That was more than likely reared and killed in a very traumatic way.

I don't think I could be terribly friendly towards anyone wearing these.

Littlelondoner Tue 10-May-16 15:21:53

You do know that fur farms and meat farms are totally differant right? No such thing as left over fur.

Same as leather shoes. Cows hardly get treated fairly in leather farms. Yes leather farm they are hardly left over from beef. Differant types cows.

Way I see it. No differant than sitting on a leather sofa, or leather shoes. Or having soft wood furniture with wood from the rainforrest. Everything has a chain. It is not nice to think about but it happens. I would be a hypocryte if I refused to wear fur for the animals as I indirectly do harm in other ways.

But I get why people are anti fur or anti leather anti wool etc. And would not judge them for it. Just like I would not exspect judgement for my choices.

CaroleService Tue 10-May-16 15:30:59

CostCo sometimes have them heavily discounted. I got mine for £199; on-line the same model was costing about £600

ScrotesOnFire Tue 10-May-16 15:36:39

Yes I do.
I was saying that if the animal is killed for meat I have no problem with the pelt then being processed because I think it is a shame to go to waste.
But I cannot agree with animals being killed purely for their pelt.

At least you can argue vital vitamins, minerals etc from meat that many feel are essential to a balanced diet.
But no one needs fur.

some meat farms take very good care of their livestock - naturally reared outdoors, free to forage, natural diet, blah blah blah.

I am not aware of any such set ups for fur.

Fur seems to be one of two options - a barren cage or a brutal trap and violent dispatching.

I fail to see how fur can ever be produced 'ethically'.

Given how fur is produced and the fact it is not in any way necessary I take a very grim view of anyone wearing it.

Cloclomomo Tue 10-May-16 15:42:10

I have the Kensington (sells in London for about £800 - I got it in Canada for £300). There are differing degrees of insulation. The Trillium is even more heavy duty and would be too warm for London in my opinion.

I loved wearing mine in winter - even on the coldest days I only wore a little tshirt underneath. But it does have a limited usage period throughout the year.

Re being waterproof - i've found mine to be waterproof. Maybe if you were out for an hour and it was totally torrenting down it would start to seep through, but I actually thought mine was totally waterproof

SweetChickadee Tue 10-May-16 15:44:27

They really are made for the cold, dry Canadian climate - not much good for wet mild British winters. VERY popular here in Canada.

rubybleu Tue 10-May-16 15:54:33

I've got a Trillium and wear it when it's 5 deg or less in London. I've got really cold extremities and keeping my body warm helps.

Love mine, don't regret the £400 at Barneys in NYC at all.

WhereInTheWorldToNext Tue 10-May-16 16:28:25

I'm moving back to UK from Asia and I'm worried I'll be freezing - I currently dig the Uggs and hoodies out when the temp drops below 23 grin

I didn't actually realise the fur was real....hmmm any suggestions for alternatives?

LoveFromUs Tue 10-May-16 16:49:10

CaroleService £199 are you sure the coat is genuine? They don't sell any adult Canada Goose coats with fur for less than £600. I paid £650 for my sons expedition CD coat and he is 6.

ScrotesOnFire Tue 10-May-16 16:57:06

Hmm, Izzy Lane do some lovely coats.
Not sure if they do parka type ones though..

CaroleService Tue 10-May-16 18:51:01

Pretty sure. My Canadian friend got one too - she was really pleased. CostCo do have some real bargains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now