Right, I'm going to splurge on an at-home hair removal device. Which one should I get?

(48 Posts)
SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 19:47:23

Have had a course of salon laser hair removal for legs over the winter and now that the sun's out I'm realising (no exaggeration) that it's changed my life. I could never shave as my skin was too sensitive and I'd get HORRENDOUS razor rash and still had stubble; I used to wax but that left me with appallling ingrowns so my legs were always red and bumpy...

Suffice it to say I used to wear trousers and long skirts all summer long, and just SWELTER.

Now (only halfway through my laser course) I can bung on a pair of shorts or a shorter skirt without a thought and it feels fantastic. I just got so sick of being the only person dreading the warm weather as my legs were always such a state.

So... I want to get an at-home device which will help me tackle facial hair blush. I've had salon treatment for this too very effectively but it was 5+ years ago and it's all starting to come back. Can't afford the time or money to keep up the salon visits, of which I'd need about another 8ish I think.

Which is the best at-home laser or IPL device? I can afford to spend up to about £400 which seems to open up the range. I have very fair skin and dark hair so I'm a good candidate. No hormonal issues, I'm just getting older and hair seems to be sprouting from my upper lip and chin at a scary rate these days...

ForeverFireflies Sun 08-May-16 19:53:57

I recently got a nono! I only used it for the first time yesterday but it seems to be good.
I will need a few more sessions, as Like yourself I also have very fair skin and dark hair.
hth

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 08-May-16 20:01:49

I've just bought a Philips Lumea. I bought the £450 one, it's £310 on Boots' website today.

Can't comment on effectiveness yet as only used it once but has really good reviews, seems sturdy and was easy to use.

SwingingFromTheChanderlier Sun 08-May-16 20:02:20

No No to a NoNo! Bad bad reviews, wide berth I think!

I invested in a Phillips Lumea about 10 weeks ago and I'm getting great results, it does take a bit of time and effort but it does start to work!

WakeUpFast Sun 08-May-16 20:04:04

Philips Lumea. Changed my life with upper lip and chin hair. Been using it for over a year. It's amazing.

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 08-May-16 20:04:36

I have the SC2007/00, it has a facial and body attachment (all areas below the neck).

Nanasueathome Sun 08-May-16 20:11:34

I have a Lumea and also a no-no
The Lumea is fab and I have not used the no-no since having the Lumea
Thoroughly recommend
Bought mine a while ago from Amazon when it was in offer

twirlypoo Sun 08-May-16 20:24:08

Another lumea owner here and I love mine too. It's made a bigger difference than I ever thought possible. It's expensive but life changing. Doooo it!

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 20:26:16

Philips lumea it is... does anyone know if the boots offer is just today or will it run a little longer...? Might need to just wait a couple of days before spending £300ish in one splurge as have just had a couple of large bills that need to clear!!

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 20:27:42

Thanks everyone btw!! Just want to be able to look in a mirror without seeing fresh hairs sprouting...
Oh and to those who use the lumea - am I right that you need to shave the area before use? That's the only thing that feels a bit scary - shaving my face!! Usually I trim the hairs very very short indeed (roughly once a day, embarrassingly) so I was wondering if that might be enough or if I really DO need to shave...?

CarpeJugulum Sun 08-May-16 20:29:33

I have a Veet (same principle) and I don't shave with a razor - I use a little eyebrow trimmer. Think it's just to reduce the length so it doesn't burn IYSWIM?

WakeUpFast Sun 08-May-16 20:34:33

Yes you shave, but just use it lightly and its fine. The hair grows back really thin so a quick sweep is only needed. Actually, the hair that grows back can be pulled out with your fingers. It's amazing!

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 20:40:14

Thank you all!

ilovetosleep Sun 08-May-16 20:48:35

Sorry to Hijack but just wondered if anyone has used a boots smoothskin? It gets great reviews and you don't need any gel - does this mean all the others you need to use gel? Sounds faffy?

SwingingFromTheChanderlier Sun 08-May-16 20:49:48

The Lumea is a great investment! It's suppose to last 5ish years. Remember once the hairs are all gone you stil need to zap occasionally to keep them at bay!

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 20:53:59

Thanks Swinging - yes in fact that has been the biggest problem with the facial treatment I had a few years ago - the results were amazing but as I couldnt' afford the time or money to go back for a couple of sessions every 18 months-ish, the hair has all crept back... I think none of these things are 100% permanent, it's just that the reduction is MASSIVE. But yy to top-ups and it's the main reason I want an at-home device, so I can keep on top of it.

pollyblack Sun 08-May-16 20:55:41

I got a lumea for about £300 on amazon. I was sceptical but desperate as was getting terrible ingrown hairs. Used it three times and omg i cant believe how well it works. I am really impressed and it is fairly quick and easy to use. It has actually changes my life!

Pinkvici22 Sun 08-May-16 20:59:27

Another vote for the Lumea - I have only used mine 3 times (had it about 6 weeks) and it has already changed my life. Bikini and underarm are amazing and no more ingrown hairs - legs also much much smoother.

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Sun 08-May-16 21:03:29

Oh wow I hadn't even thought about being able to use it for underarms too... that would be a bonus. Mainly I'm just focussed on these awful face hairs but once I've sorted those, I can move on to other bits!!

I totally get the 'changed my life' comments, my laser leg treatment has just been a revelation.

SwingingFromTheChanderlier Sun 08-May-16 21:08:09

This is one of my legs after 10 weeks of treatment (I have not shaved in 2 weeks). If you look close there are only a few stray hairs- probably been missed!

I have mid to dark hair whilst my skin is fair to medium (although I do tan very easily).

Unfortunately I have no before photo, I intended to but alas forgot! I'd say 90% reduction to hazard a guess. The bikini line being more coarse will take a while longer- no I'm not going to post a picture of that grin but I'd say I've seen 50% reduction at this point!

YorkieDorkie Sun 08-May-16 21:12:39

I didn't think lumea was safe for the face but could be wrong! The boots one is supposedly the facial one.

SwingingFromTheChanderlier Sun 08-May-16 21:13:21

Oops neglected photo... Here you are

SwingingFromTheChanderlier Sun 08-May-16 21:17:15

It's safe to use on the face too. It comes with a smaller attachment specific to this area . The daunting bit is the shaving. To be fair I have not shaved this area but have treated 1-2 days after threading instead.

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 08-May-16 21:44:22

Some of them aren't advised for use on the face but others (like the one I have) have a facial attachment. It basically has a smaller window for more precise application.

WakeUpFast Sun 08-May-16 23:59:19

I got my lumea for about £300 from John Lewis. It was odd because the older version on their website was about £100 more expensive. I'm sure they'd mixed up the prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now