Whole new wardrobe needed but detest shopping

(17 Posts)
Sleepingonthebus Sat 07-May-16 23:11:13

I've lost a fair bit of weight recently and I still have some to lose, so I'm not rushing out to buy a lot just now but I do need bits and pieces.

I cannot stand shopping and I think it's because I was bigger and had to choose things that covered all the lumps and bumps. I never felt particularly fashionable.

The problem is that I am still shopping for 'fat me '. I've no idea what suits me now (if I ever did) and all I want to do is run in and out of shops as quickly as possible.

Do you think this will ever change and I might get some pleasure from clothes shopping? I really can't see the appeal.

CodyKing Sat 07-May-16 23:17:12

I haven't changed size since my teens - I lived shopping then and hate it now!

I can understand your issue as you regularly see the before and after weight loss picture and the woman is still in the same style clothes -

You need to tell us your size and problem areas / good points height colouring and I'm sure we can find you a few pieces.

Sleepingonthebus Sat 07-May-16 23:33:41

Well I'm a 16 just now, was a 20-22 and aiming for size 12. I'm 5'3. Was a 40D uptop but probably not now and I plan on getting again measured soon.

Bad points would be the overhang at my stomach and the back fat that is taking its time on going.

I quite like my slimmer calves but I've been scared to get my legs out in the past so skirts and dresses were a no no.

CodyKing Sun 08-May-16 08:11:46

My friend has a large chest - she always goes for a V next - it takes the attention to her neck area and face -

I'm a 12 with a big belly - I aim for patterned tops in 2 or 2 colours - the pattern takes the eye of the roll.

I like baggier tops - so they are loose round my belly

Tight fitting jeans will make the most of your legs - and you'll look slimmer -

Try some 3/4 ones or roll them up - looks cute

Same for slimmer fitting trousers

Converse type shoes or ballet pumps - I've just looked on Rocket dog - there a sale - some really different type shoes -

There's a website - everything £5 which gets rave reviews a good cheap way for expanding your wardrobe - if you plan to lose more

Kirriemuir Sun 08-May-16 08:18:24

I was exactly the same as you last year. I still buy bigger than I need to. Hard buying smaller sizes. When I was mid loss I picked up s few bits off eBay.

You will get used to it but it does take time. I still always pick up a 14 even though I am a 10/12!

Pick up a few bits and then when you are at a happy weight go to the John Lewis personal shopper. It doesn't have to be expensive but if you get ideas from them you can buy cheaper bits and pieces going forward.

My overhang is still there. It just won't go so I reckon it's here to stay and I am becoming accepting of my stomach!

I suggest getting a couple of good pairs of jeans and then tops from eBay or a charity shop until you are happier with your size. Congratulations on your weight loss so far.....you should be really proud.

Sleepingonthebus Sun 08-May-16 17:51:18

Thanks for the tips. I'm working but will read more in depth later.

haveacupoftea Sun 08-May-16 19:11:46

You should visit Simply Be. The clothes are cut for bigger sizes, they do size 12 and up though. However they are stylish and pretty. Lovely spacey fitting rooms with a sofa for anyone shopping with you to sit on. Then hit Primark for everyday basics - slouchy t shirts to wear with jeans, long sleeved tops etc all for about £3. Go on a Monday morning when its quiet if you can and its much more bearable.

Also try Asda Wonderfit jeans which you buy slightly smaller than you need but they stretch with you, then shrink back to size when washed, so perfect for dieters. Theyre really comfy too.

Sleepingonthebus Mon 09-May-16 08:49:46

CodyKing - thanks for that. I'm going to look at those sites. The £5 one sounds fab and I like the sound of shorter trousers and converse.

Kirriemuir - thank you . I'm pretty proud of myself too! A personal shopper is a good idea. I always thought they were for people better off than me, but I can see the benefit.

Haveacupoftea - Simply Be is on now on my list of things to look up on the bus to work today so thanks for the suggestions. I completely forgot about Primark! I've never heard of Wonderfit jeans but going to investigate them too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It really helps loads.

Ouriana Mon 09-May-16 08:55:56

Ive just ordered several tops from everything5ponds and was quite impressed! Quality isnt brilliant and they will last the year but thats fine for cheap fashion clothes.

Straight cut or skinny jeans and get the legs out! Maybe a wrap dress could show off the chest and legs?

Sleepingonthebus Mon 09-May-16 09:00:02

Ouriana - the words 'wrap dress' and 'skinny jeans ' nearly brought me out in a cold sweat grin. I will bloody well get over this. Thank you.

Ouriana Mon 09-May-16 10:04:47

grin maybe straight leg or cigarette then? But Im top heavy and boot cut jeans always make me look like Ive gained a few stone!

But a decent wrap should emphasise the boobs, cover your tummy and then you can flash the skinny calves!

Im a 8/10 on bottom and 12 on top so shopping reduces me to actual tears, the internet is your friend! Asos is good for a cheap variety of styles and usually offers free delivery and returns so you can order loads of stuff and return what you dont feel comfortable in.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 21:39:36

I have a lovely apron too after having my children which never shifts. I have learned to dress around it and I focus on proportions. I generally split my frame into thirds so if I have something tight on the bottom I wear a longer top/tunic and if I am wearing a long dress I would wear a cropped cardigan. Basically I avoid focus around the middle and wear fitted clothes that skim past it.

If you are in between sizes I would get stuff that is stretchy and that will still work when you are slimmer. I am a size 12-14 and 5"3 with an average bust for reference.

I have a basic foundation which consists of two things from Next. I wear their long line thin strap vests as a base layer with their pull on jeans/jeggings. I wear a size 12 in both. I then layer over ithem with loads of different style jumpers or asymmetric tops to around mid thigh level. Lately I have found their high waist enhancer jeans in the flare cut (they are on clearance early in the morning) really flattering. I bought them in a regular size 12 and wear then with a low wedge. I keep the top layer loose but not baggy. They might be worth a try. I wear a shorter vest with those and wear with a hip length top.

Apart from Next, Phase Eight, Autograph and Jaeger (look on the outlet) cut well for apples.

My advice is to avoid any empire lines with pleating, pencil skirts or anything belted. Wide leg trousers don't work for me personally either. I think you have to have some emphasis on the legs to get some shape or you can end up looking blocky.

Trapeze shapes can work well as a layer as can cocoon as long as they are sized down as far as possible so they just skim.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 21:49:01

vests

jeggings

dress

jeans -but get this sort of thing on clearance instead.

vest tops but these need to be sized down to be flattering.

This is stuff I find works well.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 21:50:54

top here- excuse my link fail 😊

WordGetsAround Mon 09-May-16 21:51:12

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss OP. Hope you can find a few nice peices to show it off!

Sleepingonthebus Mon 09-May-16 21:55:51

A lot of good advice there Crevice, thank you so much. I'm so pleased you all know what you're talking about. I've been covering up my body for a long time and it's scary to make changes.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 22:00:41

I lost three stones over the last year and had to adjust too. Hope you find some stuff that you feel comfortable and feel great in 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now