Shoes to wear in New York in June

(37 Posts)
ScarlettDarling Sat 07-May-16 21:17:53

We're going to New York at the beginning of June grin and plan on seeing ALL the sights which will involve lots of walking! I'm planning on wearing my well worn converse and jeans but one friend said she thought that would be far too hot and another said they'd be far too casual!

So now I'm panicking a bit. Can't wear sandals like Birkenstocks for full days of walking which are the only alternatives I can think of.

Help!!

SwedishEdith Sat 07-May-16 21:21:39

Converse are way too flat. Get decent trainers. Everyone in New York is casual!

mouldycheesefan Sat 07-May-16 21:22:50

I was there in June and wore fit flops. It was very hot and we did tonnes of walking. I did have a foot massage one evening!

lcoc2015 Sat 07-May-16 21:24:49

I would wear a decent pair of running shoes - i did and my calves, legs and hips still hurt from all the walking!

Converse too flat. Proper trainers will be most comfortable - I did miles and miles in Berlin last August in trainers. No sandals would have been comfortable enough, I don't think, although I do live in hope of finding some for this summer.

ScarlettDarling Sat 07-May-16 22:01:59

Right, thanks for the feedback. I actually don't have any proper trainers but am planning on buying some imminently to start couch to 5k so that's easily sorted.

Will have to google fit flops...I've never seen them.

Glad people are saying that casual is fine. We really won't be going anywhere smart so jeans/trainers should be ok?

mouldycheesefan Sat 07-May-16 22:05:52

Jeans will maybe be too hot. It was 30 degrees, although cooler n evening. Jeans would have been OK for evenings but too hot for day. I wore shorts.

WoodleyPixie Sat 07-May-16 22:12:03

Why can't you wear Birkenstock? I've worn them in New York. Onjynghingbwas hiw filthy my feet were at the end of the day.

I've never worn trainers there as I don't wear trainers except for running or the gym. So in the winter, flat knee high boots or something waterproof and warm in the snow. And summer just which ever sandals I am currently wearing that are comfortable enough to walk all day in so 100% not brand new ones.

Ceilinglight Sat 07-May-16 22:13:53

Camper Right Ninas

Lovely and comfortable all day and fairly cool with footsore

Ceilinglight Sat 07-May-16 22:14:27

I meant footsies, not footsore (ironic autocorrect)

Seasidedolly Sat 07-May-16 22:24:04

I bought some Skechers from Century21 when I went to NYC in June a few years ago, they were a total bargain and I've since bought more (as have my mum, sister and grandmother!) As they are SO comfy. The ones with the memory foam soles are the best, and very lightweight, and they don't get overly warm in the summer and I often walk in them in the rain.
I'm currently eyeing up a boat shoe - style.

Enjoy NYC is fab. Although it did rain a bit (was in flipflops, hence the emergency dash to Century21 for more shoes) so pack a light jacket or jumper just in case.

Poppies26 Sat 07-May-16 22:26:56

Sketchers. I am on a Fb group for New York, people who have been and are going. These are always recommended.
I have feet that do not like trainers and I have tried every brand over the years. Bought some sketchers go walk and they are brilliant I can wear them with no socks and they do not rub or cause my feet to blister or bleed. I have ordered a ballet flat pair today for a dresser pair to wear with skirts/dresses.
Both pairs have cost me £35 each on eBay.
And they are so light u could carry them in ur bag without knowing. Some bars/clubs won't accept trainers apparently so I am going to carry the flats if we have planned to go out for the evening.

bluespiral Sat 07-May-16 22:27:16

I walked for miles and miles around NYC in a pair of Clarks unstructured sandals and they were so comfortable. Possibly not the most fashionable thing but not hideous either. They're onto their 4th summer too now so they last as well.

bluespiral Sat 07-May-16 22:28:52

It was these, un swish they're called

ScarlettDarling Sat 07-May-16 22:31:19

Lots of ideas to look at here, many thanks!

Woodley I'll be wearing my birkies on the flight-great for kicking off- but don't find them comfy for walking any distance. I would like to wear sandals because I hate sweaty feet but just can't think of any which would be suitable for serious walking!

Worryworker Sat 07-May-16 22:31:52

I'm going in June too- can't wait!
Because of the amount of walking I've predicted we'll do, I've got myself some 'Skechers go walk', memory foam, extremely light and look as though they'll be great to wear all day with no rubbing etc. Also won't make feet really sweaty!
Hope you have a fab time.

ScarlettDarling Sat 07-May-16 22:52:31

Poppies and worry would you be able to link to the Skechers which you got? I'm reading great reviews but they all look ugly!

Poppies26 Sat 07-May-16 22:54:45

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301876449484

Poppies26 Sat 07-May-16 22:56:15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252359895576

SellFridges Sat 07-May-16 22:56:35

I've been twice in June and will be there again this year, although sadly for work so no possibility of a tourist walk!

I've always worn sandals, flip flops and trainers (the latter during downpours and usually a pair of Air Max bought there). I wouldn't plan on wearing jeans in June though. It'll be hot I would guess, and very sticky.

Cakescakescakes Sat 07-May-16 22:57:05

Get a pair of black Nike trainers. Something with mesh eg Thea or Roshe as this will help keep your feet cool. And the black/white look is casual but not scruffy. And they're properly comfy. Skechers look horrific even if they are super comfy!

Poppies26 Sat 07-May-16 22:58:26

In the second link if u scroll down the page it is the grey shoe in the first box. There are colour options.
Hope the links help.

ScarlettDarling Sun 08-May-16 09:56:47

Thanks for the links Poppies. What do you wear with your Skechers ? Just jeans or something else? Think I'll find somewhere I can try them on in real life to see how they feel.

cakes I love those Nike theas but don't know if I want to spend £90! Any cheaper suggestions?

And if it's going to be too hot for jeans, what should I wear?! I wouldn't feel comfortable in shorts. I have a couple of pairs of harems I could wear, but I'd normally wear them with sandals/birkies...will they look really odd with trainers/Skechers /converse?

blueskyinmarch Sun 08-May-16 10:02:31

Once you get to NY and actually see what people are wearing you will realise that most of the tourists have gone for maximum comfort and not given a toss about how they look. Shorts, t shirt and trainers is the look most will be sporting. Maybe try loose, cropped trousers if you don’t like shorts?

FrustratedFrugal Sun 08-May-16 10:03:01

The streets are a bit disgusting in high heat (festering garbage) so I would pick mesh sneakers or comfy sandals that protect your feet. Keep a cardigan in your bag for overairconditioned indoor spaces. You can always buy more appropriate footwear there. I used to live there, enjoy your trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now