Talk

Advanced search

is it too early for maxi dresses?

(15 Posts)
twocultures Fri 06-May-16 14:19:09

I know we've only had a couple of warm days and I might be getting excited but oh well.
On Sunday I am going to a friends DCs birthday party, nowhere fancy but there will be lots of people there and I know some of them are really "up to date" in the style column not to mention their hair apps/facials/weekly nail salon visits etc..... I couldn't be anymore "out of date" since having my DC I've barely bought any new items of clothing for over a year...

I feel like recently I've put on a few pounds my DP says he hasn't noticed but I can see some love handles and my legs have gotten...bigger? IDK. I feel quite self conscious as to what I should wear, I know the party won't just be for the kids so I don't think jeans and a tshirt (unless really dressy) would be appropriate, I have a casual(ish) maxi dress I've not had a chance to wear yet and I feel it's a good choice as its not tight fitting so should cover all my ahem 'extra' areas nicely...
But is it a bit early in the year for a maxi dress? Are they even 'in' at the moment?

Sorry for rambling!

Randomposter Fri 06-May-16 14:21:03

I think they were 'in' about 5 years ago - but I'm no Gok Wan.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 06-May-16 14:21:22

I've got my maxi dress on today, I'm pregnant and it's lovely and floaty thank god for sunshine!

notthestereotype1 Fri 06-May-16 14:27:02

I don't think they'll ever be "out". I saw a few mums on the school run in maxis this morning and I did think to myself "oh, are we there yet?" but then I saw a few who were still in thick tights and coats. This time of year is always a little muddled.

If it's warm enough, why not?...

Startingover2016 Fri 06-May-16 16:19:31

They are in all the shops though not seen anyone in one.

ShyGirlie Fri 06-May-16 19:09:47

I think dark indigo skinny jeans with a nice shirt (blue chambray or white) or a simple top with lovely sandals would look far classier than a maxi dress. Plus a general neat and clean appearance - hair, make up, nails. Maxi dress could look a bit too try-hard iykwim.

Madbengalmum Fri 06-May-16 19:22:50

Maxi dresses are far from out of fashion, and if the weather is nice much more of a party look.
To be honest if anything skinnies are on their way out and so very tedious now.

Oly5 Fri 06-May-16 21:28:29

i adore maxis and they are still in fashion regardless of what some mums netters think
if it suits you and it gives yo confidence, why not?
i've just ironed all mine!

Heavenscent86 Fri 06-May-16 21:35:22

I've been wearing them for the last two days. It's warm enough, I feel great in them and I couldn't care less if they are in fashion or not as I just love them.

dudsville Fri 06-May-16 21:50:57

It's a summer staple. It's summer all of a sudden. Go for it! I felt anxious about wearing sandals the last few days but my feet have been very happy!

Thatrabbittrickedme Fri 06-May-16 21:53:31

I saw a lady in a lovely black one today with some nice leather flip flops. Made a mental note at the time to dig mine out I time for the weekend.

They are a staple, not a fashion item, so not 'out' imo

Sparkletastic Fri 06-May-16 21:56:03

They are in no way fashion. I have loads but have come to the sad realisation that they veer into Margo Leadbetter But Fat territory. Agree that skinnies with loose top and heeled sandals is way more flattering.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 06-May-16 22:11:53

I bloody love a maxi grin

26 degrees here in Sunday, I'll be digging mine out!

HelenF35 Sat 07-May-16 07:20:16

I've worn mine 3 times already this year. It's a classic, won't go out of fashion for a long time.

Twinkie1 Sat 07-May-16 07:53:56

I think a lot of the time the flowy ones make women look a lot bigger than they actually are. You think your hiding the chub when you're actually covering it in a lot more fabric and bulking yourself out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now